Tar.ttp

All things related to the Atari Coldfire Project

Moderators: Mathias, Mug UK, moondog/.tSCc., [ProToS], Galvez, Moderator Team

Gamer
Atari freak
Atari freak

Tar.ttp

Postby Gamer » Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:28 pm

I want to install the full Mint manually on my Firebee as I did on my Falcon. I have the necessary files to do that including all the rpm files. However when I tried to extract the TAR files to my Firebee, I keep getting I/O errors and a lot of files and folders do not get extracted. The TAR file keeps saying it cannot create the directories I need. Any have this problem before or have a solution. On the Falcon things runs fine. Is there a Coldfire version of the tar.ttp that works better or is there another solution?

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Re: Tar.ttp

Postby wongck » Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:07 pm

I suppose you are un-taring to ext2 file system.
if so, you can mount the partition onto Linux and directly untar using Linux tools.
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63+CTPCI_ATI_RTL8139 14+512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff for sale - click here for list

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:03 pm

What tar-files are you refering to?
Jo Even

Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:04 am

or you can find a coldfire tar here
http://vincent.riviere.free.fr/soft/m68 ... /mint/tar/

also tons of coldfire software as well
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63+CTPCI_ATI_RTL8139 14+512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI

Gamer
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby Gamer » Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:59 pm

I am basically following Wongck instructions on installing Mint. It worked very well on my Falcon. I do not need some things concerning the Firebee, but I wanted to installed the RPM files and use programs like Bash and Sharity on the Coldifre.

Gamer
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby Gamer » Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:07 pm

wongck wrote:I suppose you are un-taring to ext2 file system.
if so, you can mount the partition onto Linux and directly untar using Linux tools.

Yes I am un-taring to a ext2 file system.I am glad I am using the Coldfire TOSwin2 program. Until then, un-taring mishaps resulted in me having to re-format the ext-2 on my wife's PC using Mini-Partition Tool. I could also have done using G-Parted on my Open Pandora.

I was thinking I would have to do what you are suggesting and using Linux tools to do the un-taring. I just may give that a try if things do not go well.

Gamer
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby Gamer » Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:13 pm

joska wrote:What tar-files are you refering to?

The one file that gave me trouble was rootfs+rpm-3.06.tgz. When trying to un-tar the resulting tar file, things went fine until the USR folder. All the other folders camo out fine, but this one resulted inI/O errors. Certain folders were not formed so the files had no where to go. I know I do not need most of the resulting files, but I still need some of the folder locations (I think).

I want to get things setup, so I can upgrade to Mint 1.19 and then go and install NES 2.0

frank.lukas
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby frank.lukas » Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:07 pm

You also can try EasyMiNT 1.90 with your Firebee ...
fancy Atari Musik anDA Dance "Agare Hinu Harukana" 1998 ATARI http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JX10fxb5eYE

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:41 pm

Gamer wrote:I am basically following Wongck instructions on installing Mint. It worked very well on my Falcon. I do not need some things concerning the Firebee, but I wanted to installed the RPM files and use programs like Bash and Sharity on the Coldifre.

Thanks for trying out the guide.

For Firebee, I basically duplicated my Falcon HDD over to a CF and then over wrote CF versions of the binaries from Vincent software.
I cannot remember all the steps but basically as follows
1/ I created a tar of my entire Falcon D: . The tar ball was like 200MB, copied it over to the PC.
2/ I created the standard C D E on the CF with Gparted on the PC. C is the MS partition. D is the e2fs.
3/ Mounted the e2fs, and then untar the entire 200MB into the CF. It took like 3-5 mins max. :)
4/ Attach the CF into the Firebee, and attach the HDD onto the Firebee (using my Falcon IDE cable)
5/ Boot up Firebee, the C: drive boots up empty and F: as the HDD boot drive.
6/ Navigate to Kobold on F: and then copy AUTO from F to C, use keeping order and GEMDOS mode ( not the fastest but still good)
7/ After that I copied the rest of the folders and stuff. You can leave out HDDRIVER.SYS.
Total time was less than 45 minutes and all set to go. :mrgreen:

8/ start replacing the 68K binaries with CF binaries.
This is longest and slowest section of the migration. I am not even sure if I done everything. :roll:

I am sure this is not the only method and so far everything on the FB seems to be OK for me.
You see one issue here is that you do not know if the stuff you running is the old 68K or new CF binaries.

Gamer
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby Gamer » Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:26 pm

frank.lukas wrote:You also can try EasyMiNT 1.90 with your Firebee ...

Yes I will try that if all else fails. When I had my hades, Easymint worked out great.

Gamer
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby Gamer » Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:29 pm

wongck wrote:
Gamer wrote:I am basically following Wongck instructions on installing Mint. It worked very well on my Falcon. I do not need some things concerning the Firebee, but I wanted to installed the RPM files and use programs like Bash and Sharity on the Coldifre.

Thanks for trying out the guide.

For Firebee, I basically duplicated my Falcon HDD over to a CF and then over wrote CF versions of the binaries from Vincent software.
I cannot remember all the steps but basically as follows
1/ I created a tar of my entire Falcon D: . The tar ball was like 200MB, copied it over to the PC.
2/ I created the standard C D E on the CF with Gparted on the PC. C is the MS partition. D is the e2fs.
3/ Mounted the e2fs, and then untar the entire 200MB into the CF. It took like 3-5 mins max. :)
4/ Attach the CF into the Firebee, and attach the HDD onto the Firebee (using my Falcon IDE cable)
5/ Boot up Firebee, the C: drive boots up empty and F: as the HDD boot drive.
6/ Navigate to Kobold on F: and then copy AUTO from F to C, use keeping order and GEMDOS mode ( not the fastest but still good)
7/ After that I copied the rest of the folders and stuff. You can leave out HDDRIVER.SYS.
Total time was less than 45 minutes and all set to go. :mrgreen:

8/ start replacing the 68K binaries with CF binaries.
This is longest and slowest section of the migration. I am not even sure if I done everything. :roll:

I am sure this is not the only method and so far everything on the FB seems to be OK for me.
You see one issue here is that you do not know if the stuff you running is the old 68K or new CF binaries.

Quite a lot of steps, but it is again something to try. Thanks much and for the guide. It has been very useful to me. How dis you un-tar your file to the D drive on the PC? I know on a Linux machine, all the drives are seen. However on my PC only the C drive is seen.

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:58 pm

Gamer wrote:Quite a lot of steps, but it is again something to try. Thanks much and for the guide. It has been very useful to me. How dis you un-tar your file to the D drive on the PC? I know on a Linux machine, all the drives are seen. However on my PC only the C drive is seen.

sorry when I say PC, I meant Personal Computer in the generic term not specifically meaning wintel. :angel:
I am using Gparted on Linux, so I am using a Linux PC.

Gamer
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby Gamer » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:03 pm

wongck wrote:or you can find a coldfire tar here
http://vincent.riviere.free.fr/soft/m68 ... /mint/tar/

also tons of coldfire software as well

How does one handle a bz2 file before you have the actual command in the USR folder. Is there a bzip.ttp file somewhere? I seem to remember that a LONG time ago...

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:48 pm

The bzip from your Falcon can be used by renaming it to bzip.ttp.
The executable from the /bin folders are all TOS programs without extensions.
In the UI world they are called console programs, we normally call then TOS programs.

Gamer
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby Gamer » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:24 am

wongck wrote:The bzip from your Falcon can be used by renaming it to bzip.ttp.
The executable from the /bin folders are all TOS programs without extensions.
In the UI world they are called console programs, we normally call then TOS programs.

That little fact I completely forgot. Thank you for reminding me. I believe I can finally get this done on the Firebee. Then, after a backup, I can get start installing NES 2.0 which by the way I bought from the author.

Thanks again....

Ed

BlankVector
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby BlankVector » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:22 pm

Gamer wrote:Is there a Coldfire version of the tar.ttp that works better or is there another solution?

You can always find a tar binary for ColdFire there.
Download tar-*-bin-mintv4e*.tar.bz2, extract usr/bin/tar and rename it to tar.ttp.
But I fear it will not work better than yours. You may have a corrupted filesystem, or something like that.

christos
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby christos » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:42 pm

Shameless plug. Qextract handles tar.bz
Felix qui potuit rerum cognoscere causas.
My Atari blog

STOT Email address: stot(NoSPAM)atari(DOT)org

Gamer
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby Gamer » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:21 pm

BlankVector wrote:
Gamer wrote:Is there a Coldfire version of the tar.ttp that works better or is there another solution?

Download tar-*-bin-mintv4e*.tar.bz2, extract usr/bin/tar and rename it to tar.ttp.
But I fear it will not work better than yours. You may have a corrupted filesystem, or something like that.

Yeah, I am hoping that too. If it does not work, I will just reformat the EXT2 partition and try it again.

Gamer
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby Gamer » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:22 am

BlankVector wrote:

I tried this twice and it almost worked. The process would go fine for a little while, then just stop. I let it go for about 1 hour and still nothing. Is a connection on the board for leting me know if the CF is being accessed? I have a two prong connector that is not connected to anything (on the case for the FB). Is there a place on the FB board that his connects to? Or is there a program that tells if the CF is being accessed?

Anyway, I hooked up the FB CF to my Linux computer, the Pandora, and was able to format the Mint Partition on the CF using G-Parted. I will try and put all the Mint files on the partition.

Gamer
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby Gamer » Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:08 am

Well it seems I cannot just copy files to the EXT2 partition and un-tar on the linux desktop. I can only do it under ROOT, so I have to use a root console to accomplish this.

vido
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby vido » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:15 am

You succeded as a root?

Social Media

Return to “FireBee”