Leviathan - English Software - retail

Pasti images in here - please read the rules to ensure we don't get repeated uploads etc.

Moderators: ijor, Moderator Team

Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Leviathan - English Software - retail

Postby Mug UK » Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:47 pm

This was the re-release where the screen says "No Dongle Required" - don't remember one that featured a dongle as protection but it's possible.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
My main site: http://www.mug-uk.co.uk - slowly digging up the bits from my past (and re-working a few): Atari ST, Sega 8-bit (game hacks) and NDS (Music ripping guide).

I develop a free Word (for Windows) add-in that's available for Word 2007 upwards. It's a fix-it toolbox that will allow power Word users to fix document errors. You can find it at: http://www.mikestoolbox.co.uk

Steven Seagal
Atari God
Atari God

Re: Leviathan - English Software - retail

Postby Steven Seagal » Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:20 am

This image is correct, but maybe due to Pasti.dll the game may still fail on start.
In Steem you're advised to save a snaphot right before pressing F2.
The game reads sector 79/9 only twice and checks first 16 bytes for fuzzy data.
There are other images that will fail all the time.

Stefan jL
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Stefan jL » Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:43 pm

The "no dongle required" text is only there because the Amiga version do require it and not the ST... i guess it was because the joystick ports were so difficult to reach on the ST and maybe the dongle not even fitted underneath the ST.
I guess this is the same reason the ST version of Robocop 3 do not have any dongle while the Amiga version does.

According to Marakatti so did the Atarimania pasti work in Steem but not any longer? Is it the pasti.dll maybe?

Avanze
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Avanze » Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:58 pm

This version works fine with Steem, but the Atarimania one does not. I just happened to be checking some 8bit to 16bit game conversions at the time.

Marakatti
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Marakatti » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:18 pm

Fixed with new download.

Many thanks for the bugreport :)
-------------< Member of Atarimania >-----------
-< ST / STe / Falcon030 / TT030 archiver >-
-------------> www.atarimania.com <-------------

Stefan jL
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Stefan jL » Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:39 pm

Mug UK.. this was really a re-release? Or you only suspected it was because of the "no dongle required" text?

ijor
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby ijor » Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:10 pm

Well, the image is actually bad, probably the disk itself is bad.

As Steven described, the program checks the first 16 bytes of the weak sector. Reads the sector twice (using xbios call) and computes an 8-bit checksum. If the checksum match the protection doesn't pass.

The problem is that the sector is not weak enough, is too stable. According to the image there is a single weak bit on those 16 bytes. So chances that two readings will be identical (let alone that a simple checksum can match anyway). And this is for the image that works sometimes. Other images don't have a single weak bit on the first 16 bytes, so they always fail.

This indicates a bad duplication. The sector is probably weak enough depending on which drive is read. I have seen this already in a couple of other cases.

ijor
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby ijor » Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:11 pm

Mug UK wrote:This was the re-release where the screen says "No Dongle Required" - don't remember one that featured a dongle as protection but it's possible.

Muguk, Do you still have that disk? Any chance to make a flux low level dump?

Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mug UK » Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:27 am

ijor wrote:
Mug UK wrote:This was the re-release where the screen says "No Dongle Required" - don't remember one that featured a dongle as protection but it's possible.

Muguk, Do you still have that disk? Any chance to make a flux low level dump?

I can have a look but I doubt it as I sold off almost all of my collection many years ago. I've got a few boxed titles left, plus a lot of unboxed (i.e. disks only, or disks+manual) left.
My main site: http://www.mug-uk.co.uk - slowly digging up the bits from my past (and re-working a few): Atari ST, Sega 8-bit (game hacks) and NDS (Music ripping guide).

I develop a free Word (for Windows) add-in that's available for Word 2007 upwards. It's a fix-it toolbox that will allow power Word users to fix document errors. You can find it at: http://www.mikestoolbox.co.uk

Social Media

Return to “PASTI Images”