My ST Setup

This is the gallery. It's where we put the pictures upon pictures of us all showing off our dens and collections.

Moderators: Mug UK, Silver Surfer, Moderator Team

spudisgood
Atariator
Atariator

My ST Setup

Postby spudisgood » Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:51 pm

Work in progress...

Atari 1040 STE w/ 4 meg & Rainbow TOS 1.62

Plans for the future... external floppy drive, hard drive or CF reader and getting it onto the web!

ST Graveyard
Obsessed with homicide
Obsessed with homicide

Re: My ST Setup

Postby ST Graveyard » Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:19 pm

Nice setup.

I'm a purist myself, so for me, the picture would have been complete if the flat screen was replaced with an SC1435. But still, nice little desk you got there!

Stay /|\
Atari Legend IS back!

Atari74user
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Atari74user » Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:32 pm

It is always nice to be see peoples Atari set ups!

I appreciate what ST Graveyard says regarding Atari monitors, however I too now have limited desk space, so have this year made the choice to go flat screen. Not as crisp picture quality, but for me desk space became the defining factor and outweighed anything else!

Good work :cheers:
Atari Falcon 14mb, 68882, Dual 8gb CF & Steinberg FDI
Atari Jaguar, Rotary controller, Skunkboard & Cat Box
Atari 520STFM 4mb, TOS 2.06 switcher, OverScan, GigaFile, PARCP-USB, Unicorn-USB, System Solutions MiniS HD, SyQuest drives, ICD Link II, PhatBoy MIDI Controller, Philip Rees 5M MIDI merge box, Soundpool M04, Steinberg MIDEX, SMP II, Emagic Log 3, C-Lab Unitor 2, Combiner & Export expanders

vattari
Atari User
Atari User

My ST Setup

Postby vattari » Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:37 am

A good looking set up.
In Australia, getting anything better than an SC1224 is near impossible so third party is my only option. I'm aiming for LCDs that match in style as a fall back option.

How are you connecting to the Phillips? The image is fairly sharp so I'm guessing it's a RGB connection (I ask because I have a 42" plasma version of that exact Phillips screen and I'd be interested to know if it's signal compatible)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Mega STE/4, Monster board, 40GB IDE, CosmosEx
  • Mega ST4, Monster board, 8GB CF, Gotek
  • TT4/16, SCSI2SD
  • Falcon 14MB, 8GB CF, Falcon Speed, CosmosEx
  • Falcon 14MB, 8GB SD, Gotek
  • 130XE/myIDE2; 800XL/Supermon; XEGS/SIO2SD; 800XL/SIO2SD; 130XE/SIDE2
  • 1040STE/4MB, Monster board (8GB SD, RTC)
Work-in-progress: Mega ST4/Matrix M110 video; Mega ST2/Titan Reflex video; TT 2/16MB; 1200XL UAV; 400 UAV/Audio; 800

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby AtariZoll » Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:45 am

Picture would be not better with CRT monitor, contrary. Now only some modern mass storage, what takes not much space - read Flash cards :D
Negative feedback has usually positive effect.

Atari74user
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Atari74user » Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:36 pm

vattari wrote:A good looking set up.
In Australia, getting anything better than an SC1224 is near impossible so third party is my only option. I'm aiming for LCDs that match in style as a fall back option

This is exactly what I have just done with some success, added 3 x 19" Samsung LCDs for my humble yet lovely Atari ST, Atari Falcon and C64 as I too wanted everything to match. It was successful, but some compromise straight out of the box, images are not quite as crisp and this is with quality connectors etc...

AtariZoll wrote:Picture would be not better with CRT monitor, contrary

Indeed you are very correct, from a technical perspective as you say this is absolutely right, but of course depends on the variables:
1. The LCD (flatscreen) in question, how old or new it is and whether it can handle the vertical and horizontal sync rates of 15.75 kHz horizontal, 50/60 Hz Vertical for Low and Med, and 35.7 kHz Horizontal, 71.2 Hz Vertical for High resolutions depending on what you want
2. How you connect
3. Quality of connection
4. Whether or not a converter or upscaler is used, dependant on point 1 and whether the LCD (flatscreen) can handle the sync rates (something I am considering trying)

I agree, technically new monitors of course are capable of a sharper image, in practice there are a few dependancies to pin down that nice sharp image of those Atari faithfuls and potentially improve as discussed in other threads of course.

AtariZoll wrote:some modern mass storage, what takes not much space - read Flash cards

I am with you on that one, I have recently tried to save space in that area too, replacing my beautiful System Solutions SCSI HD, Syquest EZ135, EZFlyer and Syjet drives with a oh so nicely built Suska GigaFile. The GigaFile was the perfect solution for me, extremely small footprint, ACSI and SCSI friendly, fantastic build quality with a beautiful design! A little more expensive than some, but for me, for that build quality, I am not going to complain at all as it is a bargain compared to how much I paid for my SCSI drives back in the day :)
Atari 520STFM 4mb, TOS 2.06 switcher, OverScan, GigaFile, PARCP-USB, Unicorn-USB, System Solutions MiniS HD, SyQuest drives, ICD Link II, PhatBoy MIDI Controller, Philip Rees 5M MIDI merge box, Soundpool M04, Steinberg MIDEX, SMP II, Emagic Log 3, C-Lab Unitor 2, Combiner & Export expanders

Melies
Atari User
Atari User

Postby Melies » Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:44 pm

Nice setup :thumbs: , thanks for sharing ! :wink:
1040 STF (TOS 1.02 FR) - 520 STE (TOS 1.62 FR + 4 Mb) - Falcon 030 (TOS 4.04 FR) - MIST

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:34 am

Atari74user wrote:I agree, technically new monitors of course are capable of a sharper image, in practice there are a few dependancies to pin down that nice sharp image of those Atari faithfuls and potentially improve as discussed in other threads of course.

And lets not forget that many games and demos exploits the characteristics of the CRT. LCDs are often *too* sharp for dithered graphics. Nothing beats a good CRT for retro computing IMO. They do occupy a lot of space though...
Jo Even

Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

exxos
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby exxos » Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:35 am

I think CRT is good for gaming, as joska said, its a natural dither 8) upscaling 320 x 200 to HD resolutions makes very sharp clear smartie sized pixels :lol: Well it does on my projector screen which is 6 foot across :lol:
4MB STFM 1.44 FD- VELOCE+ 020 STE - Falcon 030 CT60 - Atari 2600 - Atari 7800 - Gigafile - SD Floppy Emulator - PeST - various clutter

http://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
http://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/last/storenew/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
http://ataristeven.exxoshost.co.uk/Steem.htm Latest Steem Emulator

Atari74user
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Atari74user » Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:07 pm

All I want for Christmas is a flat screen Atari CRT monitor...hmmm :shrug: [dreaming]

spudisgood
Atariator
Atariator

Postby spudisgood » Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:22 am

In Australia, getting anything better than an SC1224 is near impossible so third party is my only option. I'm aiming for LCDs that match in style as a fall back option.

How are you connecting to the Phillips? The image is fairly sharp so I'm guessing it's a RGB connection (I ask because I have a 42" plasma version of that exact Phillips screen and I'd be interested to know if it's signal compatible)

Hi thanks, the ST is connected via a SCART cable coming from the ST's monitor port, I bought from a seller on eBay.
The image is quite good, you get the occasional wobbles on the screen but I can live with that.

I would love to get an SC1224, but at the moment the only one I have found is costing around £80 which I can't justify.

There are plenty of mono monitors kicking about for a fraction of the price, but I want colour.

spudisgood
Atariator
Atariator

Postby spudisgood » Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:23 am

AtariZoll wrote:Picture would be not better with CRT monitor, contrary. Now only some modern mass storage, what takes not much space - read Flash cards :D

Yes, I would love a CF card reader fitted with an updated TOS and a shedload of games and an Internet connection.

Think I have some work cut out?

vattari
Atari User
Atari User

Re: RE: Re: My ST Setup

Postby vattari » Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:48 am

spudisgood wrote:

Hi thanks, the ST is connected via a SCART cable coming from the ST's monitor port, I bought from a seller on eBay.
The image is quite good, you get the occasional wobbles on the screen but I can live with that.

I would love to get an SC1224, but at the moment the only one I have found is costing around £80 which I can't justify.

There are plenty of mono monitors kicking about for a fraction of the price, but I want colour.

My Phillips hasn't got a SCART but it does have VGA inputs. I've just made up a cable so I'll check if it handle the horizontal sync from the ST. Thanks for the heads up.

I recently made up a cable for an STE and Commodore 1084S monitor. These monitors are more common, larger, and have the benefit of stereo speakers. I'm happy with this combo (80s home computer rivalry aside).

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
  • Mega STE/4, Monster board, 40GB IDE, CosmosEx
  • Mega ST4, Monster board, 8GB CF, Gotek
  • TT4/16, SCSI2SD
  • Falcon 14MB, 8GB CF, Falcon Speed, CosmosEx
  • Falcon 14MB, 8GB SD, Gotek
  • 130XE/myIDE2; 800XL/Supermon; XEGS/SIO2SD; 800XL/SIO2SD; 130XE/SIDE2
  • 1040STE/4MB, Monster board (8GB SD, RTC)
Work-in-progress: Mega ST4/Matrix M110 video; Mega ST2/Titan Reflex video; TT 2/16MB; 1200XL UAV; 400 UAV/Audio; 800

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby AtariZoll » Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:48 am

spudisgood wrote:
AtariZoll wrote:Picture would be not better with CRT monitor, contrary. Now only some modern mass storage, what takes not much space - read Flash cards :D

Yes, I would love a CF card reader fitted with an updated TOS and a shedload of games and an Internet connection.

Think I have some work cut out?

I was serious, and all mentioned is easy to set up, use. But except updated TOS you can have it all with CosmosEx .
So, no you don't need some serious work - even TOS chip change is pretty trivial. Will need some $ though.
Negative feedback has usually positive effect.

spudisgood
Atariator
Atariator

Postby spudisgood » Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:35 pm

Thanks for the info,

Please tell me what CosmoEX is?

I have bought some TOS chips but did not realise I had to solder, I do not want to do this.

Social Media

Return to “Gallery”