My 1040 STe setup

This is the gallery. It's where we put the pictures upon pictures of us all showing off our dens and collections.

Moderators: Mug UK, Silver Surfer, Moderator Team

Dark Willow
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

My 1040 STe setup

Postby Dark Willow » Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:25 pm

Finally got a monitor for my system I have been able to unpack everything and try it out :D
There is a 1040 STe, Megafile 60 hard drive, SM125 monitor and Logic 3 SpeedMouse, all purchased separately on Ebay, all for sensible prices - £25 for the STe (inc. free shipping), £18 for the Megafile (plus £10 ship), 99p for the mouse (plus £4.50 shipping!?), and £17 for the SM125 (£2 plus £15 shipped), so not bad. The TOS is 1.62 and comes with the stock 1mb RAM.

So far I've just set up folders for my stuff and installed the usual basics like STzip, LHarc, Everest and Xcontrol. NVDI is an ongoing story(!). I've also installed TeraDesk as the 1.62 desktop is a bit restricting. I've kept the 2 partition 10mb/50mb layout the Megafile came with as it is exactly the same layout I had intended to use anyway.

Nothing exciting was on the drive - just the ICD driver and Fcopy III - the latter of which I remember from my early teens on my 520STfm.

A very grimy system that's seen a lot of work, as you can see! Later on I intend to give everything a good clean, then retrobrite the STe and SM125. The Megafile is just grimy rather than discoloured.

The SM125 is a sweet monitor. It's pin sharp and has excellent contrast. It's actually the best CRT I've come across. The only thing that come close with a Triumph Adler flat CRT XGA monitor I had with the very weird IBM PS2/E I used when studying for my SPM. The Megafile 60 is useful as for a good price I got mass storage that runs directly into ACSI, and is very neat, sitting under the monitor :) That said, it does sound like one of the old 1960s jet engines, and is noticably slower than the newer SCSI 3.5" drives you can fit in the TT. It uses an archaic RLL drive(!)

So, my immediate plans for the system are:

1. Take the RAM up to 4mb
2. Set it up my old Epson Stylus with it.
3. Clean up the whole system and retrobrite the STe and SM125
4. Muffle the Megafile!
4a - Replace the fan in the with a newer slimline model, fitted with a voltage changer to lower the RPM. This should reduce the noise of the exhaust air.
4b - Fit soft rubber feet to the bottom of the unit to absorb the drive vibration, or get a rubber mat to slip under it.
4c - Fit acoustic foam inside the case to absorb some of the motor whine from the drive itself.

PS - The black drive on top of the STe is just the USB floppy drive for my ThinkPad... I don't really have an external USB disk drive running on TOS :lol:
TT030, 10mb/16mb, 3.5" SCSI multi-card reader (2gb CF/512mb SD), Matrix TC1006 gfx card, EtherNEC, Epson GT scanner, VanillaMint | 1040STe, 4mb, TOS 1.62, MegaFile 60, SM125 | Lynx II | 800XL, 64k, 1050 disk drive, XC12 tape deck, MicroLink parallel adapter

PuppySoft:Projects & More

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Re: My 1040 STe setup

Postby wongck » Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:23 am

Nice.
Normally I would have the floppy piled above the floppy drive area instead of the PSU.
Just so that it ventilates properly. But I guess is winter in Europe, so that's not an issue.
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63+CTPCI_ATI_RTL8139 14+512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff for sale - click here for list

NGF
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby NGF » Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:19 am

Nice Atari desk, only thing missing now is an issue of ST Format magazine on the desk as well as Atari printer 8)
"4160" STE with Ultrasatan | Falcon 030 14MB with CF-reader | TT030 | STacy | 520STFM x 2 | 520ST x 2

Dark Willow
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Dark Willow » Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:12 pm

NGF wrote:Nice Atari desk, only thing missing now is an issue of ST Format magazine on the desk as well as Atari printer 8)

I used to get ST Format back in the day, after they took over ST Review... I always preferred ST-R, but alas I came to the ST just in time for their last few issues :(

Though I wouldn't say no to a nice SLM-605 :wink:
TT030, 10mb/16mb, 3.5" SCSI multi-card reader (2gb CF/512mb SD), Matrix TC1006 gfx card, EtherNEC, Epson GT scanner, VanillaMint | 1040STe, 4mb, TOS 1.62, MegaFile 60, SM125 | Lynx II | 800XL, 64k, 1050 disk drive, XC12 tape deck, MicroLink parallel adapter

DarkLord
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DarkLord » Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:39 pm

Dark Willow wrote:
NGF wrote:Nice Atari desk, only thing missing now is an issue of ST Format magazine on the desk as well as Atari printer 8)

I used to get ST Format back in the day, after they took over ST Review... I always preferred ST-R, but alas I came to the ST just in time for their last few issues :(

I like them all. Over here in the US, we had Atari Explorer, STart, ST Informer, and Current Notes. Not as big as ST Format or the other mags, but I enjoyed them. I actually wrote a couple of articles for Current Notes. Were any of these magazines available here?
Welcome To DarkForce! http://www.darkforce.org "The Fuji Lives.!"
Atari SW/HW based BBS - Telnet:darkforce-bbs.dyndns.org 520

Dark Willow
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Dark Willow » Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:07 pm

Added the 4mb upgrade last night, and gave the inside of the system a good clean whilst I was at it. It looks like the system has had some soft drink or something spilt inside it at some point. There were patches of intense corrosion on the RF shielding in a liquid spill pattern - mainly over the PSU (i.e. below the vents on the top of the machine) and run down onto the shielding underneath the keyboard, and pooled along the bottom front of lip the system, in the trough between the mouse/joystick ports and end of the case. Thankfully the motherboard had no real corrosion, just a bit at the very front edge (the metallic boarder had some some of corrosive build up).

So dismantled the entire system washed the bottom of the case thoroughly to remove any materials that might cause further harm, and removed all the dust and cobwebs (really!) inside the case. Also took a chance to clean the keyboard which was thick with grime and gave the key caps some preliminary treatment with warm water and a touch of liquid soap.

It turns out the disk drive fascia was loose, one of the retaining clips had snapped, so removed the clip and taped the fascia along the top and side rims to the drive case, so it's no longer loose, and the repair is invisible from the outside. The drive seemed a bit reluctant to eject disks at first, but is fine now. I think that might just have been though sitting idle for too long as it sounds perfectly healthy and now responds normally. I've permanently removed the RF shielding from the top of the case, as it makes future maintenance and upgrade work easier, and also gives the system better ventilation - plus it makes it a bit lighter!

So... step one complete :mrgreen:

Retrogamer_ST
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Retrogamer_ST » Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:32 pm

DarkLord wrote:
Dark Willow wrote:

I like them all. Over here in the US, we had Atari Explorer, STart, ST Informer, and Current Notes. Not as big as ST Format or the other mags, but I enjoyed them. I actually wrote a couple of articles for Current Notes. Were any of these magazines available here?

OffT:

Well, STart is found here
http://www.retromags.com/forums/files/c ... /69-start/

Remember that a .cbr file is a regular zip or rar archive containing jpg pictures of the scanned pages. Just rename the .cbr file to .zip if you want to unpack all pages. ;)

OnT:Nice Atari set :)

Social Media

Return to “Gallery”