End of the Line for Guardians

The area to discuss, debate, and contribute to a project that is preserving all ST software for future generations to enjoy. Visit the Guardians of the PaST website.

Moderators: Goldrunner, Moderator Team, Guardians of the PaST

Goldrunner
Guardian of the PaST
Guardian of the PaST

End of the Line for Guardians

Postby Goldrunner » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:31 pm

I'm very sad to say that the Guardians project in no more, it is very sad that we can't even leave it online like it has been for so long. You see, the original coder who set up the site disappeared a long time ago with all the details of who hosts the site. We tried to carry on hoping he would return, but slowly the team started to leave since they could see no future, updates got fewer and fewer until eventually all development stopped. It is areal shame since so much work had been done and the team was very proud of the site. We hoped to give the Atari ST community something as good as the 'Hall of Light' on the Amiga, alas it was not meant to be and the ST is still crying out for the ultimate online database.

Klapauzius
The Klaz
The Klaz

Re: End of the Line for Guardians

Postby Klapauzius » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:41 pm

Well, that's a shame really. :(
The site looked just great and was very promising.

Anyway, good to see you back, Paul! :D
http://www.klapauzius.net
http://dbug.kicks-ass.net/klaz

The tears are welling in my eyes again, I need twenty big buckets to catch them in, twenty pretty girls to carry them down, twenty deep holes to bury them in.

Avanze
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Avanze » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:21 pm

This is a real shame because something akin to the in-depth HOL would have been truly glorious.

Marakatti
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Marakatti » Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:02 pm

Goldrunner wrote:We hoped to give the Atari ST community something as good as the 'Hall of Light' on the Amiga, alas it was not meant to be and the ST is still crying out for the ultimate online database.

Very sad to hear indeed :( It was fun while it lasted. But ultimately even the best can't survive without coder...

On the brighter side there's going to be the ultimate online ST-database one day. It will just take a lot of time, faith and hard work to happen... Maybe you would like to jump in some day and help it happen a bit faster 8)
-------------< Member of Atarimania >-----------
-< ST / STe / Falcon030 / TT030 archiver >-
-------------> www.atarimania.com <-------------

lotek_style
Mod(ul)erator
Mod(ul)erator

Postby lotek_style » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:30 pm

Well... I suspected that already... too bad... lets all support Atarimania now.
lotek style / the sirius cybernetics corporation
- musician - ascii-artist - swapper - archivist -

.tSCc. - low-tech atari cyberpunks since 1990
http://www.tscc.de/ | http://demozoo.org/ | http://www.lotekstyle.de/ | http://ymrockerz.atari.org/

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:06 pm

Did anyone manage to get stuff off the web before it went ?
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63+CTPCI_ATI_RTL8139 14+512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff for sale - click here for list

Xerus

Postby Xerus » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:38 am

Sad news, I'm sorry for you.
All work is lost ?

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:16 am

backin time machine has some snapshot of it.
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63+CTPCI_ATI_RTL8139 14+512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff for sale - click here for list

X3peri_MENTaL
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby X3peri_MENTaL » Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:43 am

Although I officially left Guardians in Dec 2011 and knew this day was coming, it is still very sad. :( Ultimately, one person had the keys to the castle and they seemingly vanished off the face of the earth. Guardians paid the price. :(

wongck wrote:Did anyone manage to get stuff off the web before it went ?

Not that it matters now (...and for reasons I won't go into), but I have most of the irreplaceable stuff that made Guardians what it was (banners, gfx, narratives, etc) safely backed up on my HD. If nothing else, I can look at this from time to time (with a tear in my eye) and say 'I did that'. :)

coy
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby coy » Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:03 am

Great effort guys :thumbs:
At least we now know the story :roll:

Goldrunner
Guardian of the PaST
Guardian of the PaST

Postby Goldrunner » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:25 am

Xerus wrote:Sad news, I'm sorry for you.
All work is lost ?

I still have all the scans of boxes, manuals, adverts, etc, that we did as part of the preservation work. But the thing I hate losing most is the background information on certain games, a lot of hard work went into this since we researched through magazines looking for any information on a games development and release. This is what I liked most about Guardians, it just made it much more interesting than straight up facts, As good as AtariMania is it does not offer this extra background info, if it did I would be begging to join so I can carry on this work!

kristjanga
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby kristjanga » Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:52 am

well we always have the Way back machine :D

atarimania
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby atarimania » Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:57 pm

Sad news for the Atari community :(

Goldrunner wrote:As good as AtariMania is it does not offer this extra background info, if it did I would be begging to join so I can carry on this work!

Maybe we could find a solution to integrate extra background infos on Atarimania to avoid losing your hard work. We have "extra information" fields on the database, I can add some new "types of informations" as "What is on the box" as you had on Guardians...

Franck

dungeon.master
The Beast with a Million Eyes
The Beast with a Million Eyes

Postby dungeon.master » Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:25 pm

Hello,

As I have seen a lot of good websites (Atari or else) diseappearing from the web, I have take the precaution to save a lot of them before they vanished.

I have a copy dated 19 03 2009 of Guardians of the Past.

I works, not perfectly, for example for some pages you have to copy the adress on the "next" button and put it on the adress bar.

The rar compressed file is 75417 ko, and 245 Mb before rar

If you are interested please tell me how I have to do :-)
Games hunter, for Atari Legend
dungeon.master

Marakatti
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Marakatti » Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:50 pm

atarimania wrote:Sad news for the Atari community :(

Goldrunner wrote:As good as AtariMania is it does not offer this extra background info, if it did I would be begging to join so I can carry on this work!

Maybe we could find a solution to integrate extra background infos on Atarimania to avoid losing your hard work. We have "extra information" fields on the database, I can add some new "types of informations" as "What is on the box" as you had on Guardians...

Franck

Yes I think this can be implemented. It has always been in my future plans to start adding "GoTP features" like background infos, trivia, game maps and other things.
But all my time goes to fix the database entries and process all those important contributions so I couldn't touch those things yet.

If Franck has time to do some development, what can stop us?

Guardians of the PaST once was my precious home too so I'm more than happy to proudly carry on the legacy of the website :)

Shredder11
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Shredder11 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:01 pm

Not sure if this helps but I saved the entire website as a 28.9MB PDF file using Adobe Acrobat in February 2009:

www.guardiansofthepast.co.uk.pdf

Xerus

Postby Xerus » Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:27 am

Goldrunner wrote:But the thing I hate losing most is the background information on certain games, a lot of hard work went into this since we researched through magazines looking for any information on a games development and release. This is what I liked most about Guardians, it just made it much more interesting than straight up facts, As good as AtariMania is it does not offer this extra background info, if it did I would be begging to join so I can carry on this work!

Yes, I liked this part of the database, it was a surplus value for your site.

Goldrunner
Guardian of the PaST
Guardian of the PaST

Postby Goldrunner » Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:26 pm

atarimania wrote:Sad news for the Atari community :(

Franck

I would certainly like see this, once it is implemented all the work that Guardians did can be added quite simply. There may be one problem, I don't know the structure of AtariMania database fields so I don't if it would have trouble implementing pctures and text in the same field along with different texts sizes. On Guardians these fields used HTML so we could virtually do anything within each field as long as we used the correct code.

Another area that I like a lot on Guardians was 'The Software That Wasn't', we made a good start on this with Guardians, it would have been nice to take it further and more games or even applications!

Marakatti
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Marakatti » Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:51 pm

Goldrunner wrote:I would certainly like see this

Expect to see something within couple of weeks. We've started planning the new features already :)

X3peri_MENTaL
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby X3peri_MENTaL » Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:33 am

kristjanga wrote:well we always have the Way back machine :D

Embarrassingly, I never really knew much about this 'way back machine' until now. :lol: Of course since the wayback mirror can't query the sql database that powered the site it's Guardians 'Lite'... still pretty useful though. :)

Anyway, I've been flicking around the site mirror today and realised that I've not backed up some of the images & narratives I created for the site. Given that some took a surprisingly long time to produce (e.g the Lemmings *Vs* Shadow Of The Beast gfx) it would be a shame for them to vanish now that Guardians is *officially* defunct. I'll be looking to possibly use all of these some time in the near future in something new... :D

http://web.archive.org/web/201011240217 ... ion_ID=11#

Shredder11 wrote:Not sure if this helps but I saved the entire website as a 28.9MB PDF file using Adobe Acrobat in February 2009:

Went to grab this, but it seems you have to signup up for an account to proceed... and I'm one of these people who hates signing up for anything new... anytime... ever! :lol:

dungeon.master wrote:I have a copy dated 19 03 2009 of Guardians of the Past.

I works, not perfectly, for example for some pages you have to copy the adress on the "next" button and put it on the adress bar.

The rar compressed file is 75417 ko, and 245 Mb before rar

If you are interested please tell me how I have to do

I'd be interested in getting a hold of this... to play with! ;) If you could upload it somewhere (FTP , or Rapidshare or Depositfiles etc etc) I'd be very happy. :)

Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mug UK » Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:56 am

Blew the dust off my 4Shared account and grabbed this file.
My main site: http://www.mug-uk.co.uk - slowly digging up the bits from my past (and re-working a few): Atari ST, Sega 8-bit (game hacks) and NDS (Music ripping guide).

I develop a free Word (for Windows) add-in that's available for Word 2007 upwards. It's a fix-it toolbox that will allow power Word users to fix document errors. You can find it at: http://www.mikestoolbox.co.uk

Shredder11
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Shredder11 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:01 am

The pdf file I made with Adobe Acrobat, means you can click on the page links to jump around the site. It's not perfectly presented but not bad.

X3peri_MENTaL
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby X3peri_MENTaL » Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:12 pm

I relented and attempted to sign up for 4Shared to grab the pdf. Sadly the multitude of scripts it runs don't work on the prehistoric version of Firefox I run (and no more Firefox updates supported for Win98 unfortunately). :(

Any chance someone (Muggy, Shredder) could upload/attach the rar to this thread? I guess it would exceed the allowed filesize limit, but could possibly be multi-parted to get around this.

lotek_style
Mod(ul)erator
Mod(ul)erator

Postby lotek_style » Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:13 am

Love to see new features on Atarimania and the "Guardians" to join the team :)

Franck: Did you get my mail? I never got a reply.
lotek style / the sirius cybernetics corporation
- musician - ascii-artist - swapper - archivist -

.tSCc. - low-tech atari cyberpunks since 1990
http://www.tscc.de/ | http://demozoo.org/ | http://www.lotekstyle.de/ | http://ymrockerz.atari.org/

Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mug UK » Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:27 pm

X3peri_MENTaL wrote:Any chance someone (Muggy, Shredder) could upload/attach the rar to this thread? I guess it would exceed the allowed filesize limit, but could possibly be multi-parted to get around this.

It would take a few posts as there's a limit of (without diving into the Admin Control Panel to check) between 3 & 4Mb per post. It would look a bit daft. I'll see if I can host it on my site (which decides if I can be allowed to host a PDF file when the Joomla! extension I'm using is having a good or a bad day!) :)
My main site: http://www.mug-uk.co.uk - slowly digging up the bits from my past (and re-working a few): Atari ST, Sega 8-bit (game hacks) and NDS (Music ripping guide).

I develop a free Word (for Windows) add-in that's available for Word 2007 upwards. It's a fix-it toolbox that will allow power Word users to fix document errors. You can find it at: http://www.mikestoolbox.co.uk

Social Media

Return to “Guardians of the PaST”