Battle Hawks 1942

A section to cover all the different problems encountered by running game x on system y! Whether it's as simple as a non-STE compatible game through to h/drive installable games. Discuss them all in here.

Moderator: Moderator Team

tcat
Atari freak
Atari freak

Battle Hawks 1942

Postby tcat » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:06 pm

Hi,

I was thinking what this section is for, now I have a first game that behaves differently under emulator and on the real ST machine.

I just discovered this game and the manual, which is quite a piece of interesting read. I can play the game on `Hatari' emulator alright, when copied to floppy, I experience one missing colour in background, it is `ready room' screen, grey is missing, `pilot cockpit dashboard', grey is missing. Grey colour is not rendered in pictures probably.

I have tried many archive images of the same game, no difference, grey missing in screens.

Any ideas?

Many thanks, Tom

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Re: Battle Hawks 1942

Postby AtariZoll » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:19 am

You need to try it with different TOS versions. And give here more details about exact Hatari version, settings, TOS verison used.
Grey is missing - and what color is there then instead it ?
Famous Schrodinger's cat hypothetical experiment says that cat is dead or alive until we open box and see condition of poor animal, which deserved better logic. Cat is always in some certain state - regardless from is observer able or not to see what the state is.

tcat
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby tcat » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:49 am

Hi,

I keep `Hatari' reflecting real ST machine, so the config is the same for both.

ATARI ST
RainBow TOS v1.04
1MB RAM
Floppy, no HD
Blitter ON/OFF - has no difference

Gray is rendered as Black in `menu screen', `ready room', `pilot cockpit' screens, only on real ST machine.

EDIT
Please look for the difference in pictures?
Landing deck, Battle ship turrets.

Tom
real-ST.JPG

hatari.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

shoggoth
Nature
Nature

Postby shoggoth » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:21 am

Isn't this just a case of different gamma in emulator vs. your particular monitor? (i.e. TOS/machine/emulator has nothing to do with it?).
Ain't no space like PeP-space.

farvardin
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby farvardin » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:23 am

yeah, it's pretty sure it's the monitor luminosity which is set too low.

tcat
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby tcat » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:52 am

Hi,

It may well be the case, although I doubt as the darkish gray appears as normal black.

Not the case with other games. The game engine seems decompressing images before putting them into display buffer, perhaps if, if I can somehow manage to touchup game image gray in a drawing tool, compress them again (not sure how), and save back to the game image?

Tom

tcat
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby tcat » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:01 am

Hi,

I have turned monitor brightness quite up, black now appears as dark grey where it should, black remains black, so I can at least tell two colours appart, but my eye site suffers.

EDIT, now contrast slightly up, so the brightness, better now.
So I dismissed The idea of modifying game pictures, seems silly.

Tom

Social Media

Return to “Games - Compatibility Issues etc.”