Sim City inside Mint

A section to cover all the different problems encountered by running game x on system y! Whether it's as simple as a non-STE compatible game through to h/drive installable games. Discuss them all in here.

Moderator: Moderator Team

mzry
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Sim City inside Mint

Postby mzry » Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:06 am

As far as I can tell Sim City doesn't seem to work inside of Mint. I thought that since it is a GEM app it would run nicely inside a window? Are there any patches for this? Thanks

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Re: Sim City inside Mint

Postby AtariZoll » Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:40 am

I don't think that because it is GEM app it must work well inside Mint. And patching it for Mint ? Games are not multitask friendly in most cases. Is there problem for you running it in TOS ?
Famous Schrodinger's cat hypothetical experiment says that cat is dead or alive until we open box and see condition of poor animal, which deserved better logic. Cat is always in some certain state - regardless from is observer able or not to see what the state is.

ICS

Postby ICS » Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:25 am

I have to say... I always thought it would be awesome to run Sum City in a multitasking environment.

mzry
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby mzry » Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:27 am

Well its to do with the type of game and the context of how I'd like to play. For me Sim City is a turn based style game where you can take long breaks. I would like the ability to multi-task so that I can swap to IRC, have a chat, browse some files, go back to the game - etc. You get my drift.

Atari030
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Atari030 » Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:03 am

I'd give my left one just to play it on the Falcon in 640x480. It is in my top 10.

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby AtariZoll » Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:06 am

Yes, it's nice to be able to switch to some other app. I guess, it is already possible - run it in emulator on PC, MAC :D
There is only few people dealing with games, and there is plenty of games where can do some improvements - overall improvements, not only some obscure compatibility related.
It is just that it may be not easy at all - some patching may be not enough, but may need some serious rewrite of some sections. I find it strange to see this as compatibility issue. Mint even did not exist when game was released. Not even idea about how it will look.
Of course, if someone wants to deal with it, I will be happy to see it.
Famous Schrodinger's cat hypothetical experiment says that cat is dead or alive until we open box and see condition of poor animal, which deserved better logic. Cat is always in some certain state - regardless from is observer able or not to see what the state is.

Rajah Lone
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Rajah Lone » Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:01 am

The ST game may be a GEM application, it stucks with ST low resolution and I think it's not clean enough to run under MiNT and enhanced GEM screenmodes.

Better rewrite it with care or make an adaptation from the source code : http://micropolisonline.com/
The wiki page of SimCity says "In January 2008, the SimCity source code was released under the free software GPL 3 license".

Social Media

Return to “Games - Compatibility Issues etc.”