Starquake on UltraSatan

A section to cover all the different problems encountered by running game x on system y! Whether it's as simple as a non-STE compatible game through to h/drive installable games. Discuss them all in here.

Moderator: Moderator Team

siriushardware
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Starquake on UltraSatan

Postby siriushardware » Tue Oct 13, 2015 5:58 pm

Hi all - I got one of Jookie/Lotharek's fantastic little UltraSatan SD 'HDD' adaptors a while ago and it came with an SD card containing quite a bit of bonus material which I'm still working my way through.

In the E:Games folder there's a version of 'StarQuake' which I remember being a particularly nice game (although it was the Spectrum one I originally played).

Unfortunately there's something broken about the version bundled with the UltraSatan, at least for me.

Whether I try to run it on my 2.5MB STFM or my 4MB STe, it only gets as far as displaying the loading screen and then hangs.

Anyone else had the same problem and got past it? What did you do to make it work?

krupkaj
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: Starquake on UltraSatan

Postby krupkaj » Fri Oct 16, 2015 4:45 pm

How much RAM takes your disk driver? Try to remove caches and folders. It works fine on 4MBSTE with HDDriver.

siriushardware
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: Starquake on UltraSatan

Postby siriushardware » Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:08 pm

I'll look into this.

My HD Driver is ICD-PRO, because that's what came already installed on the SD card. Not sure how much RAM that is currently taking up. It's a pity there isn't a way to force the ICD HDD driver to load high, well out of the way of any area that Starquake is likely to want to live in.

In the meantine I managed to find Starquake as an .ST floppy image (not on its own, but on a compilation 'double' disc which also included a non-working 'Xenon'). Fortunately the disc is working well on the Starquake side.

If I copy the Starquake files from the floppy into a folder on the HDD and run it from there, it gets a little bit further but then predictably tries to load something from A: even though it has been run from HDD: If I insert the disc it loads what it wants to from there and then carries on without any further disc access after that, as far as I can tell.

If I can spare the time I'll look through that version to see if I can just patch the disk calls from 'use A' to 'use current drive' instead.

Starquake doesn't seem to do saved-games (which could be awkward and difficult to convert from FDD to HDD), instead it just uses location short-cut codes which you earn as you work your way through the game. So it's a good candidate for HDD conversion.

Social Media

Return to “Games - Compatibility Issues etc.”