Lost Patrol - your working configs?

A section to cover all the different problems encountered by running game x on system y! Whether it's as simple as a non-STE compatible game through to h/drive installable games. Discuss them all in here.

Moderator: Moderator Team

arresttwo007
Atariator
Atariator

Lost Patrol - your working configs?

Postby arresttwo007 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:38 pm

Hi folks - I bought this game new 20 odd years ago. It would get so far on my 520 STFM and crash, the little cursor marking your squads position, scooting off of its own accord before bombing. I even wrote to them, sent it back, only to receive the copy back with "tested, no fault found". Rage.

My brothers 1040STFM seemed more stable, but he moved away before I could blag it long enough to know for sure how solid it was lol

I need to finish this game before I die, unfinished business :D

On the emulators I have tried, the text and clock is garbled making it impossible to play.

So if anyone here has finished it without it crashing, or never experienced it crash - on original hardware or emulator - let me know your setup!!

ICS

Re: Lost Patrol - your working configs?

Postby ICS » Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:49 pm

I remember it crashing / or freezing with a black screen too.
I had an original.
But I don't remember the exact hardware configurations I had tried it on.
Don't have the original anymore, and the crack froze too iirc.

Jake/Depression
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Jake/Depression » Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:18 am

I remember original bombs sometimes in my 520 STfm. But not all times. (If i remember right and i can remember this wrong, it was something like that no touch joystick/mouse or keyboard before things was loaded and ready to play and it was not bombs so active.) Not tested other machines for this. I have now disk 1 cracked by Replicants and other disks are copies for original discs.
-soimaamme toinen toista ja unohdamme tulta kohentaa-

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby AtariZoll » Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:24 am

That seems as TOS version issue. Should try with most popular TOS versions in emulator: 1.00 , 1.02, 1.04, .1.06/1.62 ...
Of course it may be that problem is in being sensitive on mouse, or any input from IKBD chip while loading at start. What can be fixed ...
This game is on my list for hard disk fix, so will look into problem ..
Negative feedback has usually positive effect.

arresttwo007
Atariator
Atariator

Postby arresttwo007 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:49 pm

Thanks for the replies folks!

I've been running it on my original 520STfm - crashes as described. I'm now using a cracked copy, but it done it even with the original back in the day - I can't remember what I done with it. TOS 1.04.

I have another older revision motherboard 520STfm with an "untidy" memory upgrade (see my thread in the hardware section here) - I'll test it on that. It is running TOS 1.02, but I'm not too hopeful.

Just received what was meant to be a 1040STfm motherboard (faulty) but it looks like its a 520 that someone has attempted to upgrade... if I can get that one working I'll try that too lol

arresttwo007
Atariator
Atariator

Postby arresttwo007 » Sat Jan 10, 2015 2:50 pm

FINALLY!!!!

I managed to complete it, that is a major piece of business taken care of in my life lol!!!

I had to use Hataroid on my android tablet, and I kept using the emulator to save state every few moves. It still crashed a good few times - too many times - but I could just reload and do something different. Bloody shame that even the original crashed, it was an excellent game for the time.

Still haven't managed to get it stable on real hardware, I doubt I will - I doubt it is possible :(

Steven Seagal
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Steven Seagal » Sat Jan 10, 2015 5:49 pm

AtariZoll wrote:That seems as TOS version issue. Should try with most popular TOS versions in emulator: 1.00 , 1.02, 1.04, .1.06/1.62 ...
Of course it may be that problem is in being sensitive on mouse, or any input from IKBD chip while loading at start. What can be fixed ...
This game is on my list for hard disk fix, so will look into problem ..

Actually the game is drive-speed sensitive, so in Steem you should select 'Accurate Disk Access
times'.
This is mentioned in 'hints.txt' in Steem SSE 3.6 by the way.

Social Media

Return to “Games - Compatibility Issues etc.”