Fire & Ice on PSP Castaway 006 not working

A section to cover all the different problems encountered by running game x on system y! Whether it's as simple as a non-STE compatible game through to h/drive installable games. Discuss them all in here.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Danster72
Atarian
Atarian

Fire & Ice on PSP Castaway 006 not working

Postby Danster72 » Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:47 am

Hi,

I am new to the forum I am hoping that someone can help me.

I am trying to run an old favourite game of mine - Fire & Ice - on the PSP using Castaway 006 but I am having trouble running this. It fails after the Graftgold logo screen at the start where I got a black screen with a blue bar at the top, and nothing more. I have tried many versions of the file.

Is there something else I need to do out of the ordinary to get this working?

Thanks any so much for any help provided.

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Re: Fire & Ice on PSP Castaway 006 not working

Postby AtariZoll » Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:32 am

It seems that Castaway's emulation fails at some point with this game. As I see, that version is from 2007. Surely, better would be to use Hatari PSP build, but I don't know is PSP fast enough at all for ..
English language is like bad boss on workplace: it expecting from you to strictly follow all, numerous rules, but self bending rules as much likes :mrgreen:

Eero Tamminen
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Eero Tamminen » Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:26 am

Looking at the PSP specs in Wikipedia, it seems too weak for running Hatari at acceptable speeds. I've tried Hatari on similar speed ARM.

One would need to use really old Hatari version (less accurate emulation is faster), disable music from game (if possible) to lessen interrupt emulation load, disable sound from Hatari to save CPU (and because breaking sounds is pretty horrible), use frame skipping and disable zooming. And if game works without it, disable "more compatible CPU" option. Maybe also disable spec512 (extra colors) support.

Danster72
Atarian
Atarian

Postby Danster72 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:23 am

Thanks for the feedback, I guess then it's nothing I am doing wrong and that it's just the game not working on this emulator.

Social Media

Return to “Games - Compatibility Issues etc.”