MSA

A section to cover all the different problems encountered by running game x on system y! Whether it's as simple as a non-STE compatible game through to h/drive installable games. Discuss them all in here.

Moderator: Moderator Team

scarrabri
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

MSA

Postby scarrabri » Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:58 pm

Hi will my Atari STE play a MSA file because there are loads of good games but I don't see away of getting them on to a floppy,can some one please point me in the right direction lol best wishes Brian. :) :)
Atari STE
Atari ST
Typhoon cordless mouse
Ultrasatan 8 gb st card

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Re: MSA

Postby AtariZoll » Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:07 pm

MSA is floppy image format. If you have internal floppy in PC then : http://atari.8bitchip.info/floimgd.php
Otherwise it will be harder - may write on Atari self with SW like Jay MSA - but need somehow to transfer MSA images to Atari ..
Famous Schrodinger's cat hypothetical experiment says that cat is dead or alive until we open box and see condition of poor animal, which deserved better logic. Cat is always in some certain state - regardless from is observer able or not to see what the state is.

scarrabri

Postby scarrabri » Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:12 pm

AtariZoll wrote:MSA is floppy image format. If you have internal floppy in PC then : http://atari.8bitchip.info/floimgd.php
Otherwise it will be harder - may write on Atari self with SW like Jay MSA - but need somehow to transfer MSA images to Atari ..

Hi thanks for your help my friend but I only have usb floppy on pc so it looks like im stuck lol thanks again ,Brian. :) :) :) :) :)
Atari STE
Atari ST
Typhoon cordless mouse
Ultrasatan 8 gb st card

Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mug UK » Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:22 pm

What files are you looking to transfer? It might be worth investing in an UltraSatan if you want a modern h-drive but based on SD cards plugged into your ST. You can then transfer the MSA files from your PC onto the SD card and write them back to floppy disks using your ST.
My main site: http://www.mug-uk.co.uk - slowly digging up the bits from my past (and re-working a few): Atari ST, Sega 8-bit (game hacks) and NDS (Music ripping guide).

I develop a free Word (for Windows) add-in that's available for Word 2007 upwards. It's a fix-it toolbox that will allow power Word users to fix document errors. You can find it at: http://www.mikestoolbox.co.uk

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby AtariZoll » Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:23 pm

If MSA image is not over 700KB, you can copy (simple file copy on formatted floppy) it on standard PC 720K floppy - what is possible with USB floppy drives. But not 800K format, used a lot by Atari. Then can write with Jay MSA on another floppy disk on Atari . Since MSA can be packed, it means that can write many 800K images too. There is a way to split larger files too - but you need to read usage of Jay MSA for it ..
But if you are very unlucky, your USB may support only 1.44 MB floppies - then above will not work.
Try to format floppy with command: format a:/n:9 /t:80 .
Famous Schrodinger's cat hypothetical experiment says that cat is dead or alive until we open box and see condition of poor animal, which deserved better logic. Cat is always in some certain state - regardless from is observer able or not to see what the state is.

scarrabri

Postby scarrabri » Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:01 pm

AtariZoll wrote:If MSA image is not over 700KB, you can copy (simple file copy on formatted floppy) it on standard PC 720K floppy - what is possible with USB floppy drives. But not 800K format, used a lot by Atari. Then can write with Jay MSA on another floppy disk on Atari . Since MSA can be packed, it means that can write many 800K images too. There is a way to split larger files too - but you need to read usage of Jay MSA for it ..
But if you are very unlucky, your USB may support only 1.44 MB floppies - then above will not work.
Try to format floppy with command: format a:/n:9 /t:80 .

Hi my usb floppy drive only supports 1.44 MB floppies lol
Atari STE
Atari ST
Typhoon cordless mouse
Ultrasatan 8 gb st card

scarrabri

Postby scarrabri » Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:09 pm

Mug UK wrote:What files are you looking to transfer? It might be worth investing in an UltraSatan if you want a modern h-drive but based on SD cards plugged into your ST. You can then transfer the MSA files from your PC onto the SD card and write them back to floppy disks using your ST.

Hi to be honest I have been looking at the ultrasatan and indeed I am very interested in it but then I saw the cosmos and correct me if im wrong but doesn't the cosmos do the same thing as the UltraSatan only more because this is what I am thinking of buying when it is available plus the raspberry pie thingummy gig hoping I can get on line lol and that's wishful thinking very best wishes Brian. :) :) :)
Atari STE
Atari ST
Typhoon cordless mouse
Ultrasatan 8 gb st card

Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mug UK » Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:11 am

Yep the CosmosEx is the UltraSatan on steroids :-)

Sent by my Note III
My main site: http://www.mug-uk.co.uk - slowly digging up the bits from my past (and re-working a few): Atari ST, Sega 8-bit (game hacks) and NDS (Music ripping guide).

I develop a free Word (for Windows) add-in that's available for Word 2007 upwards. It's a fix-it toolbox that will allow power Word users to fix document errors. You can find it at: http://www.mikestoolbox.co.uk

Social Media

Return to “Games - Compatibility Issues etc.”