TO BE ON TOP

A section to cover all the different problems encountered by running game x on system y! Whether it's as simple as a non-STE compatible game through to h/drive installable games. Discuss them all in here.

Moderator: Moderator Team

mr.vince
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

TO BE ON TOP

Postby mr.vince » Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:45 pm

Greetings,

trying to play TO BE ON TOP (Original for the C64, ST port by the Thalion guys, music by Jochen Hippel - I think most will know or remember) on a 1040ST. GEM/TOS copyright says 1986,1987, so should be 1.02.

For some reason the game always crashes when I get the video. This happens with _two_ original versions (both verified to be identical). Game was released in 1988, so should work with this TOS. But... does not. Can anyone recommend / point me to a different version (PM will be fine, too). Would just like to play the game. :)

mr.vince

Re: TO BE ON TOP

Postby mr.vince » Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:36 am

Nevermind, found the Superior version in this thread.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=21855

Still strange that the original crashes on a real machine...

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Re: TO BE ON TOP

Postby AtariZoll » Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:31 pm

I tried Automation and Superior cracks. First one seems not complete - crashed at some point. Superior seems OK.
Tried with TOS 1.02, 1.04, 2.06 . Worked on all of them. Only thing to care is to not move mouse or type something while intro loads - then will not respond on kb. anymore - it is common problem by many SW (IKBD overflow while CPU is busy).

Actually, it is not rare case that original crashes on real machine. And in many (perhaps most) cases the reason is copy protection. For instance copylock will fail on TOS 2.05/6 if it is regular floppy with files (CRC error in second FAT).

Don't know some concrete case which fails on TOS 1.02, but it is possible. Could say more, if you can make STX image of this game, and post to Atarimania (or PM here) :D

P.S. : Maybe the reason is simple: floppy drive in machine did not read everything well (most likely copy protection).
Little cleaning maybe :coffe:
Negative feedback has usually positive effect.

Social Media

Return to “Games - Compatibility Issues etc.”