Games that support Jaguar controllers?

A section to cover all the different problems encountered by running game x on system y! Whether it's as simple as a non-STE compatible game through to h/drive installable games. Discuss them all in here.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Zamuel_a
Atari God
Atari God

Re: Games that support Jaguar controllers?

Postby Zamuel_a » Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:16 pm

My Giana Sisters STE conversion has Jagpad support so you get one button for jump and one for fire.
ST / STFM / STE / Mega STE / Falcon / TT030 / Portfolio / 2600 / 7800 / Jaguar / 600xl / 130xe

Mikefulton
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Mikefulton » Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:51 am

You know, that controller was originally released as the "PowerPad" for the STE and Falcon030 before the Jaguar even came out. They were beige/grey like the ST case, with blue buttons.

BoNuS
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby BoNuS » Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:19 pm

Men at War (Falcon) supports one Jagpad
http://bonus.home.xs4all.nl/
2 x Falcon 030 - a mint Atari TT - Mega STE - 2x STE - 1x Mega 2 - 2x STFM - 1 x STF - 3x SC1224 - 2x SM124 - 1x SM125 2x Portofolio+interface
- 3x 1435 monitor - 1 x Ult.Ripper cardridge - Mega 1,2,and 4 ( just to much Atari stuff)

EstTeeEfEm
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby EstTeeEfEm » Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:56 pm

Does anyone know if Atari set guidelines for JagPad usage or is it a case of decide for yourselves? I know the Jaguar64 had a set of guidelines inc what buttons should do what .. just interested i guess!

lotek_style
Mod(ul)erator
Mod(ul)erator

Postby lotek_style » Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:49 am

Hmm not sure about guidelines but we implemented that in Dynabusters+ and could supply sources for it I guess.
lotek style / the sirius cybernetics corporation
- musician - ascii-artist - swapper - archivist -

.tSCc. - low-tech atari cyberpunks since 1990
http://www.tscc.de/ | http://demozoo.org/ | http://www.lotekstyle.de/ | http://ymrockerz.atari.org/

simonsunnyboy

Postby simonsunnyboy » Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:54 am

The EJP FAQ has some advice how to treat the Jagpad. It takes input from Jaguar games if not mistaken.

See http://www.atari-wiki.com/index.php/The ... _Ports_FAQ
Simon Sunnyboy/Paradize - http://paradize.atari.org/

Stay cool, stay Atari!

1x2600jr, 1x1040STFm, 1x1040STE 4MB+TOS2.06+SatanDisk, 1xF030 14MB+FPU+NetUS-Bee

EstTeeEfEm
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby EstTeeEfEm » Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:57 am

he EJP FAQ has some advice how to treat the Jagpad

Thats the guide i got my info for coding the JagPad from... like i say, i know that Atari had guidelines for the Jaguar, didnt know whether there was a set for STE/Falcon ? I suppose I'll just use the Jag ones, at least then make it a little easier for users

walterj64bit
Atari User
Atari User

Postby walterj64bit » Mon May 02, 2016 2:11 am

Mikefulton wrote:You know, that controller was originally released as the "PowerPad" for the STE and Falcon030 before the Jaguar even came out. They were beige/grey like the ST case, with blue buttons.

I have one, 8) I like the JagPad better it's not as hard on my thumb (Nintendo thumb) as the PowerPad! :lol:
SC1224, 1040ST(E)4MB, The Link 2, RoDIME Systems 45 Plus, RoDIME Systems 20 Plus, Happy Computers Discovery Cartridge.

leech
Atari God
Atari God

Postby leech » Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:44 am

Funny thing is, I never even knew about the Enhanced Joystick Port until I got my Falcon last year. All my previous STs (Mega STe, TT030, 1040ST. In that order) didn't have them. Then I was like 'wait, are those Jaguar controller ports on the side of the Falcon?' and indeed...

Would be nice if they had Mice that would plug in there, since the underside ports are occasionally annoying to get to, especially for one who came from the Mega STe / TT030 style set up.

That gray controller with blue buttons looks awesome! Weird that the buttons are better on the JagPad though. As far as mouse like input, I already use a DB9 to playstation 2 adapter as a mouse. Good for when you don't have the desk space for a secondary mouse.
Atari 8Bits: 800xl, 600xl, XEGS, 800, 130xe, 130xe (VBXE, U1MB, Stereo POKEY)
Atari STs: 1040STf (broken shifter), 1040STe, Mega STe, TT030, Falcon (CT60e, SuperVidel)

ggn
Atari God
Atari God

Postby ggn » Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:57 pm

Also supports jagpad. And it's probably the first Falcon game that also supports jagpad rotary :).
is 73 Falcon patched atari games enough ? ^^

dml
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby dml » Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:50 pm

On Falcon030...

badmood.png

...also supports jagpad (but normal type not rotary ;-) ...and I do like the scrolly downfall title! )
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

EstTeeEfEm
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby EstTeeEfEm » Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:38 pm

Wouldnt be right for me NOT to plug my own game :P :P

http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-st-frogger_30693.html

Only uses the directions and A on this version atm...

leech
Atari God
Atari God

Postby leech » Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:26 pm

Mikefulton wrote:You know, that controller was originally released as the "PowerPad" for the STE and Falcon030 before the Jaguar even came out. They were beige/grey like the ST case, with blue buttons.

I just ordered one for myself (because I like the look) but is there really any physical / functional difference between the two? There is a comment about getting "Nintendo Thumb" from the powerpad, but not the jagpad.

Anyhow, I ordered one for testing for some things, and will probably be ordering a Jagpad+USB adapter for some adaptation testing for AtariZoll. If he can figure out how to do something with his HAGA installs, it'd be epic. Especially for something like OIDS, which has needs for more than just directional+single button controls.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=31699
Atari STs: 1040STf (broken shifter), 1040STe, Mega STe, TT030, Falcon (CT60e, SuperVidel)

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby AtariZoll » Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:59 pm

What I see from this thread is that support is relative good by Falcon games, while is poor for ST(E) games, even STE only ones. And most of titles is done by not big, known firms. But it is actually same with other STE features.
And doing PowerPad support is actually much easier than adding STE HW scroll, DMA audio ...
How much spread was that PowerPad at all ? It seems that almost nobody knew about it .
I think that someone needs to update that Xav's article with some things ...
Famous Schrodinger's cat hypothetical experiment says that cat is dead or alive until we open box and see condition of poor animal, which deserved better logic. Cat is always in some certain state - regardless from is observer able or not to see what the state is.

leech
Atari God
Atari God

Postby leech » Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:21 pm

From what I understood of the PowerPad... the STE had the ports... and then they molded and manufactured the PowerPads... but I don't know how many actually sold.. I'd never heard of the thing until late last year after I was looking up what those extra ports on my Falcon were. Then when I got a 1040STe, saw they were on that as well. But I recognized the size/pins of the Jaguar one, and discovered more of the history of the PowerPad.

Yeah, sadly there were so many nice features of the STE that brought it up to most of what the Amiga could do, but by then everyone still would write for the lowest common denominator and I have a feeling we are even lucky when developers would write for a 1mb minimum ST instead of 512k (which from what I understand is why Shadow of the Beast for the ST is so terrible compared to the Amiga). Silmarils seems like one of the few that updated their games for both Falcon/STe, which I'm sure we all appreciated.

LaurentS
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby LaurentS » Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:30 pm

My turn to add my own games ;)

Beats of rage
Racer 1
Racer 2

Regards
Laurent

penguin
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby penguin » Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:58 pm

Was the PowerPad released before the Jaguar came out though? I know that I got mine when Atari got rid of their inventory in the mid-90's. AtariMania lists Mazewar as the only PowerPad/Jagpad title released before the Jaguar, the Atari UK developed Falcon titles were released years after the Jaguar came out. None of the commercially released STE titles (pre-Jaguar) support the Pad.
AtariUpToDate - Atari ST/TT/Falcon software database and version tracker: http://www.atariuptodate.de
st-computer magazine - http://st-computer.atariuptodate.de/

Greenious
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Greenious » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:47 pm

What was really sad about the extended joystick ports on the STE, was that noone really bothered with it.

If they had, we could have really great controllers today, such as racing wheels and whatnot.

As a game controller port, it is pretty much complete imho, the only thing it doesn't have, but I suspect it is just a matter of actually implementing it, is an analog joystick.
Updated my guides as of june 28th, 2016. Check'em out and feedback!
viewtopic.php?t=5040

leech
Atari God
Atari God

Postby leech » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:49 pm

LaurentS wrote:My turn to add my own games ;)

Beats of rage
Racer 1
Racer 2

Regards
Laurent

Ha, where's the like button? :cheers:

I still need to find the time to try these. Would be nice if I could clone myself and send the clone off to work while I got to stay at home and play Atari.

leech
Atari God
Atari God

Postby leech » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:54 pm

Greenious wrote:What was really sad about the extended joystick ports on the STE, was that noone really bothered with it.

If they had, we could have really great controllers today, such as racing wheels and whatnot.

As a game controller port, it is pretty much complete imho, the only thing it doesn't have, but I suspect it is just a matter of actually implementing it, is an analog joystick.

Did you see the conversation here? http://atari-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=31800

Atari030
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Atari030 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:25 pm

It probably didn't help that the MegaSTE and TT030 don't have analogue ports. I loved Zero 5, and a few others back in the day, but couldn't use a jag pad on my Mega. Pity there is no Analogue port VME card. :-)

penguin

Postby penguin » Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:37 pm

Greenious wrote:What was really sad about the extended joystick ports on the STE, was that noone really bothered with it.

Bit of a chicken and egg problem. When the STE was introduced, there were no controllers to support it. But why introduce controllers when there are no games that support it? And at a time when the Amiga was the more popular game computer?

A bundle would've been the way to go, like the Trojan Light Phazer. But that's a bit too much investment to expect in a computer like the STE, which had been neglected by Atari. Things might've been different had Atari bundled the PowerPad with every STE sold...
AtariUpToDate - Atari ST/TT/Falcon software database and version tracker: http://www.atariuptodate.de
st-computer magazine - http://st-computer.atariuptodate.de/

Askja
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby Askja » Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:08 am

SWITCH by Megabusters.
A very good game ;)

By the way, do someone knows where I can buy a Jaguar controller for a good price?
I checked Ebay but 90 euros, 60 euros.... 8O
Greg. aka Pandafox from HMD aka Imperator from The Megabusters aka Askja from Toons :cheers:
Now https://www.behance.net/ufactory :twisted:

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby AtariZoll » Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:13 am

penguin wrote:...
Bit of a chicken and egg problem. When the STE was introduced, there were no controllers to support it. But why introduce controllers when there are no games that support it? And at a time when the Amiga was the more popular game computer?.
A bundle would've been the way to go, like the Trojan Light Phazer. But that's a bit too much investment to expect in a computer like the STE, which had been neglected by Atari. Things might've been different had Atari bundled the PowerPad with every STE sold...

That's interesting idea. Let see approx. how much costed adding those 2 ports: 2 connectors, 6 chips, number of passive components + support for it in big MCU chip - I would say about 10 $ . And to add that 2 of 6 chips (2x LM556) are only for analog inputs, which were just unsupported by controllers and SW. Manufacturing of PowerPad was in close price range to it.
As main problem I see that STE with it's specs just arrived on market too late. In 1987 it would be pretty much attractive. In 1989 people just expected more - better graphic in first place. Dedicated gamers already bought Amigas, or some console. Serious users just stayed at ST, Mega ST - because STE did not offer anything attractive for them.
Famous Schrodinger's cat hypothetical experiment says that cat is dead or alive until we open box and see condition of poor animal, which deserved better logic. Cat is always in some certain state - regardless from is observer able or not to see what the state is.

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:50 am

AtariZoll wrote:As main problem I see that STE with it's specs just arrived on market too late. In 1987 it would be pretty much attractive. In 1989 people just expected more - better graphic in first place.

I don't know, I didn't buy an STE until 1991 and the only competition in that pricerange was the A500. To get better graphics and sound you'd have to buy a PC with very expensive add-on cards at a total cost of atleast four new STE's... I think the STE's main problem was that Atari made the decision to kill it by launching the £150 STFM a few months after releasing the STE.
Jo Even

Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

Social Media

Return to “Games - Compatibility Issues etc.”