Atari animations wanted

Post your requests for graphics for your demo / game here - or if you're searching for some old graphics you might have done on the Atari.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Waran
Atariator
Atariator

Re: Atari animations wanted

Postby Waran » Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:07 pm

Maybe you recently converted Atari graphics as well and maybe you did this by using different tools.
If you now compare the colors you may get different values for the very same color.

I think the main reason is that Atari colors, which are stored in values from 0 to 7, need to be transfered into new color values ranging from 0 to 255. Unfortunately most tools don't take advantage of the full color range of the target system and as a result the images look a little bit darker than on the Atari, see also my note in the CyberPaint SEQ to Animated GIF thread.

So, I decided to rework the converted files in order to make sure that what was once white on the Atari will be white again and not a light gray or something else. :D

This new Star Trek animation consists of 280 frames and is the largest file I converted so far.
The colors of the ANIM version should of course look as brilliant as on the Atari.

DarkLord
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DarkLord » Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:14 pm

I was just curious about the downloadable file format that you use on your website. I
downloaded some and could not get them to play under Linux using MPlayer. MPlayer
usually handles just about anything you throw at it.

BTW, thanks for this effort - much appreciated. :)
Welcome To DarkForce! http://www.darkforce.org "The Fuji Lives.!"
Atari SW/HW based BBS - Telnet:darkforce-bbs.dyndns.org 520

Waran
Atariator
Atariator

Postby Waran » Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:44 pm

The downloadable IFF file formats are:
ANIM-5, ANIM-7, ANIM-8, ANIM-l (animations with different kinds of compressions)
ANIM+SLA, ANIM+ANFI (animations with sound)
ANIM+CRNG, ANIM+DRNG (animations with color cycling)
ILBM (images)
ILBM+CRNG, ILBM+DRNG (images with color cycling)

Look for Linux viewers who are familiar with the Amiga IFF format!

Multishow, a multipurpose file viewer for audio, video, images and text can display any of these formats.
This Java application runs on a wide range of operating systems, including Windows, Mac OS X, Solaris and Linux.

You may find it here
... just hit the orange 'Launch' button to check it out!

Have fun! :mrgreen:

Desty
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Desty » Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:16 pm

Waran wrote:Multishow, a multipurpose file viewer for audio, video, images and text can display any of these formats.
This Java application runs on a wide range of operating systems, including Windows, Mac OS X, Solaris and Linux.

Nice find! Gotta install some extra libs which aren't in the default JRE, but it looks useful.
tá'n poc ar buile!

Waran
Atariator
Atariator

Postby Waran » Sun May 30, 2010 4:37 pm

I recently added a few Audio-Video Sequencer (AVS) files:
Bugs Bunny (AVS) by Tom Hudson
Space War (AVS) by Jon A. Bell

... plus another demo with sound that won second place at the 'Toronto Atari Show' (ACE 92):
Cylinder-Boing by Clive Probert

:D

coy
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby coy » Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:26 am

Hello Walter

I had a go the other day at your site and I think some Amiga animations really worth a look too, those from James M. Robinson are just stunning. I searched everywhere a player for the .anim files as i didn't want to run Winuae to play them, nor i wanted to have to open a browser. Anyway the only decent prg i got is iffanimplay (a dos prg). Unfortunatly, it doesn't work when the animation has some sound. oh, and one of your link is corrupted : Space Patrol (SpacePatrol2.anim.zip), when you click, you download the Automated Light animation..

Your player (for use with a browser) is good by the way :)

nativ
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby nativ » Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:26 am

Hi,

There is the 'Running horse' animation in GFA basic 2 (mono)

Regards
Atari STFM 512 / STe 4MB / Mega ST+DSP / Falcon 4MB 16Mhz 68882 - DVD/CDRW/ZIP/DAT - FDI / Jaguar / Lynx 1&2 / 7800 / 2600 / XE 130+SD Card // Sega Dreamcast / Mega2+CD2 // Apple G4

http://soundcloud.com/nativ ~ http://soundcloud.com/nativ-1 ~ http://soundcloud.com/knot_music
http://soundcloud.com/push-sounds ~ http://soundcloud.com/push-records

Waran
Atariator
Atariator

Postby Waran » Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:32 pm

coy wrote:Hello Walter

I had a go the other day at your site and I think some Amiga animations really worth a look too, those from James M. Robinson are just stunning. I searched everywhere a player for the .anim files as i didn't want to run Winuae to play them, nor i wanted to have to open a browser. Anyway the only decent prg i got is iffanimplay (a dos prg). Unfortunatly, it doesn't work when the animation has some sound. oh, and one of your link is corrupted : Space Patrol (SpacePatrol2.anim.zip), when you click, you download the Automated Light animation..

Your player (for use with a browser) is good by the way :)

@ coy

Thanks coy! The download link of Space Patrol should work now. :D

Jim Robinson did some great 'VideoScape' animations indeed. BTW, 'VideoScape 3D' and 'Aegis Modeler 3D' later evolved in 'LightWave', a fantastic 3D render package. This software was used to create visual effects for tv series and motion pictures like 'Jurassic Park', 'Babylon 5', 'Iron Man' and 'Avatar'.

You may find more 'VideoScape' animations under 'Leo L. Schwab', 'Tobias Richter' and 'Aegis'.
... one of my favorite is The Run by Tobias Richter.

Animations with audio can be played with MultiShow on PC, Mac or Linux. The applet is actually based on this standalone player, they share the same code.

nativ wrote:There is the 'Running horse' animation in GFA basic 2 (mono)

@ nativ

Are the original Atari files available on the internet? Maybe you can send me a link or upload it here?

I am also interested in animations done in other Atari screen modes like 640 x 200 (4 colors) and 640 x 400 (mono).

coy
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby coy » Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:47 am

Hello Walter and thanks for the fix

I was unable to run Multishow btw, i get this error

Code: Select all

com.sun.deploy.net.JARSigningException: Détection d'une entrée non signée dans la ressource : http://www.randelshofer.ch/multishow/jws/multishow_signed.jar
   at com.sun.javaws.security.SigningInfo.getCommonCodeSignersForJar(Unknown Source)
   at com.sun.javaws.security.SigningInfo.check(Unknown Source)
   at com.sun.javaws.LaunchDownload.checkSignedResourcesHelper(Unknown Source)
   at com.sun.javaws.LaunchDownload.checkSignedResources(Unknown Source)
   at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.prepareResources(Unknown Source)
   at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.prepareAllResources(Unknown Source)
   at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.prepareToLaunch(Unknown Source)
   at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.prepareToLaunch(Unknown Source)
   at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.launch(Unknown Source)
   at com.sun.javaws.Main.launchApp(Unknown Source)
   at com.sun.javaws.Main.continueInSecureThread(Unknown Source)
   at com.sun.javaws.Main$1.run(Unknown Source)
   at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

Do i need something else to run this program? (I already have java environment on my pc)

Desty
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Desty » Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:08 am

coy wrote:Hello Walter and thanks for the fix

I was unable to run Multishow btw, i get this error
Do i need something else to run this program? (I already have java environment on my pc)

If Java web start isn't working, you can probably just download and run the jarfile directly (if double-clicking it doesn't work, you can get a command prompt and "java -jar MultiShow.jar"). Works on my Mac, but it comes in a nice app bundle already.
tá'n poc ar buile!

Waran
Atariator
Atariator

Postby Waran » Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:55 pm

coy wrote:Do i need something else to run this program? (I already have java environment on my pc)

No, you don't need any additional components.
Just make sure the latest Java version is installed and then hit the orange 'Launch' button to start the application.

coy wrote:I was unable to run Multishow btw, i get this error

A bug in the previous version prevented launching Java Webstart properly. :oops:
I just updated the page with a new MultiShow version.

The current version has been tested successfully under Mac OS X and Windows.
I hope it works now on your machine too.

coy
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby coy » Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:43 am

Waran wrote:I just updated the page with a new MultiShow version.

The current version has been tested successfully under Mac OS X and Windows.
I hope it works now on your machine too.

Indeed. It's much better :D And the animations plays at the original frame rate (contrarily to iffanimplay) + sounds are being played too

Just fine :) THX

Waran
Atariator
Atariator

Postby Waran » Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:37 pm

Joseph Huckaby has recently impelemented animations with color cycling in HTML 5 with a new color cycling technique called 'BlendShift Cycling'.

These Deluxe Paint animations shown on his site are absolutely stunning! The images are exquisitely drawn with great attention to detail and there are so many things going on, you have to look quite a while to fully appreciate it. The super smooth color cycling was achieved by blending colors in and out of the color registers instead of shifting them in discrete steps through a cycle.

Inspired by this site, the Java applet has been updated to display the graphics with the same technique. For example, the Defender of the Crown title screen looks now as smooth as silk. Atari ST animations like the Waterfall, Neo-Chrome, Magic Mountain and others can now be displayed in a quality never seen before.

I would like to add some more Atari animations with color cycling and I am looking for great stuff created with DPaint, NeoChrome or other applications.

Does anyone know where I can get the Atari version of the Deluxe Paint demo WFALL.IFF?
I do have a copy of DPaint but I am missing some of the demos (WFALL.IFF, TOWER.IFF, GORILLA.IFF) shown on this site. EA and Artistech obviously published different DPaint versions with changing demo files.

BTW the Animation pages have been completely revamped and come in a brand new design, enjoy! :D

Social Media

Return to “Requests”