Atari animations wanted

Post your requests for graphics for your demo / game here - or if you're searching for some old graphics you might have done on the Atari.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Waran
Atariator
Atariator

Atari animations wanted

Postby Waran » Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:05 pm

Dear Atatri fans,

I am working on a project about IFF animations. This webage currently features animations created with the Amiga, but I would love to add an Atari section as well. Since I am an absolute Atari beginner I need your help to achieve this.

You may already find some Atari animations under 'Electronic Arts' and 'DeluxePaint Demos (Atari)':
Wow!
Running TV
Space

The applet I am using is able to display IFF ANIM and IFF ILBM files directly in any Java enabled browser.
It is also possible to present images or animations with color cycling effects:
Riding, color cycling effects witin an animation
Downwards, color cycling image

Unfortunately I wasn't able to find a description about the compression method used in Atari IFF files. So I am converting the animations with the 'CONVERT.PRG' tool that was shipped along with DeluxePaint for the Atari ST/STe version into the Amiga IFF format.

It would be great if you could help me to find awesome animations created with the Atari.
The files should be in IFF format that can either be handled with the DeluxePaint Atari ST or Amiga version.

Please help make cool Atari animations available on the internet for anyone.

Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Atari animations wanted

Postby Mug UK » Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:01 pm

I did a few disks of animation conversions myself many years ago. I'll see if I can find the original disks and upload them here for you.
My main site: http://www.mug-uk.co.uk - slowly digging up the bits from my past (and re-working a few): Atari ST, Sega 8-bit (game hacks) and NDS (Music ripping guide).

I develop a free Word (for Windows) add-in that's available for Word 2007 upwards. It's a fix-it toolbox that will allow power Word users to fix document errors. You can find it at: http://www.mikestoolbox.co.uk

Waran
Atariator
Atariator

Postby Waran » Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:04 pm

@ Mug UK
Thanks, I really appreciate your help

As promised, I added a new Atari Animations page. :D
I thought it would be nice to have the NEOchrome waterfall as a start image for this page.

The current NEOchrome waterfall is based on a GIF image I found on the internet.
Because of that I am aware that the colors and the frame rate of the animation may not match the original.
I would like to get that right ASAP if anyone could send me the original IFF file.

Waran
Atariator
Atariator

Postby Waran » Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:36 pm

In your opinion, what shouldn't be missing on such a page?
What is the coolest animation that has ever been created on an Atari?
And what do you think are the greatest artists that really inspired the scene?

BTW, I just added another animation. It's a demo created with Jim Kent's fine Cyber Paint. :D

Nyh
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Nyh » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:16 pm

Waran wrote:The current NEOchrome waterfall is based on a GIF image I found on the internet.
Because of that I am aware that the colors and the frame rate of the animation may not match the original.
I would like to get that right ASAP if anyone could send me the original IFF file.

The NEOchrome waterfall is a .NEO file and not an IFF file. AFAIK there is not a utility that can convert Atari PI1/PC1 or NEO color cycling inti an ILBM IFF file. Anyway, the original waterfall is attached.

BTW all Atari picture formats, even the Atari Dpaint ILBM IFF format, are described here: http://www.atari-forum.com/wiki/index.php/ST_Picture_Formats.

Hans Wessels
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Waran
Atariator
Atariator

Postby Waran » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:05 pm

Great! Thank you very much for the original .NEO file and the detailed Atari picture format descriptions!

I managed to convert the .NEO file into the .IFF format by using 'GraphicConverter' on a Mac.
Fortunately this tool is able to handle both formats and can be used as a converter.
The color palette should be OK now and I also reduced the color cycling speed of the waterfall a little bit.

Waran
Atariator
Atariator

Postby Waran » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:52 am

For your convenience I added download links at the bottom of each page.

The zipped 'Download ANIM' or 'Download ILBM' archive contains the file the applet is playing.
Note that these files are stored in Amiga IFF format which is different to the Atari version.

Under 'Original Atari file' you may find the Atari source files.
Currently there are .NEO (NEOchrome) and .IFF (Deluxe Paint Atari ST) files available.

coy
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby coy » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:47 pm

I grabbed (very) few animations from various cd; I don't know if it's what you're looking for but anyway here's a preview :
anims.png

Most of them are .seq, the others files are .dlt, .flm, .avs (anim with music), .fli. .scr (screensaver)

I was able to convert CIRCLES.seq in CIRCLES.gif as you can see (refering the comment you made in the other topic) but some others don't work for some reasons.. And yes, seq2 is a great tool

BTW, AF is getting really tightwad about the maximum size allowed; sorry but i mean : ' maximum allowed size is 300 KiB ' ! Why not 1kb while you're at it :?

Before it was 5mb allowed, no?

Waran, if you think there are some interesting anims here that you don't have, i will try to upload them ... one by one ..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mug UK » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:50 pm

Should be about 3MB for an attachment? Just checked and the maximum size per attachment is 3MB with a total of 6MB max per single message.
My main site: http://www.mug-uk.co.uk - slowly digging up the bits from my past (and re-working a few): Atari ST, Sega 8-bit (game hacks) and NDS (Music ripping guide).

I develop a free Word (for Windows) add-in that's available for Word 2007 upwards. It's a fix-it toolbox that will allow power Word users to fix document errors. You can find it at: http://www.mikestoolbox.co.uk

Waran
Atariator
Atariator

Postby Waran » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:12 pm

Thanks for your help coy!

I already converted these files below while digging for Atari animations:
1. DEJA_VU.SEQ. See this demo here
4. SINISTER.SEQ
13. JUGGLER2.SEQ

It will probably be better if I'll just send you a note with my email address. This should be easier for transferring the files.

It would also be great if you could send the original files as well, so that Atari fans who are looking for the same files can download them.
Maybe you or other forum members have informations about the artists and the year it was created.

In the meantime my list of filetypes has grown. I am now able to convert: IFF, GIF, NEO, SEQ. :D
There may be of course a couple of files that can't be handled by the converter tools.

I assume that these previews are the animations you liked the most among all the other stuff in your CD collection.
This is exactly what I am looking for.
My goal is to create a site with the best Atari animations that really show the superior graphic qualities of this computer.

coy
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby coy » Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:35 am

How strange ! It works now ? i'm not mad though, i made yesterday a copy/paste of the warning "maximum allowed size is 300 KiB" .. :roll:
Well, if everything is running fine.. (thanks mod.Mug)

Waran, i've managed to find back the cds which contains the animations; however, there are plenty files to browse and i don't wanna you get some kind of headache because of me.. I will have myself another (and closer) look at them later anyway

Regarding the differents files, only the .seq files can be converted to .gifs (thanks to the seq2 prg).. There are some others nices anims but unfortunately only playable via the ST..

The links are interesting, most animations have a corresponding txt file with a description and the name of their author; also it's not ST only as there are some stuff for Amiga and PC as well

For now, i attach only .seq + .avs; if you are interested about the other plug-in and the links, please tell me

ps. some .prg anims worth a look too
jungle.png
Nice isn't it ? :)

psb: got your pm; will call you back later (Image)

ANIMS.zip

Marakatti
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Marakatti » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:18 am

There's a very professional looking animation on YouTube -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5lsOKVIOk0
It was produced with ST /CAD3D / Cyberpaint. I think there are lot more animations for Cyber-series format than for DeluxePaint. DP was an awesome program but never got the attention on ST it deserved.
-------------< Member of Atarimania >-----------
-< ST / STe / Falcon030 / TT030 archiver >-
-------------> www.atarimania.com <-------------

Waran
Atariator
Atariator

Postby Waran » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:14 am

The IFF format is actually much more easier for me to handle.
The only thing I need to take care of is the compression method.
In case of SEQ files, a couple of more steps are required to display it here.

But you are right, a lot of awesome stuff that was created with Cyber Paint indeed.
And I think it is worth to put some effort in it in order to make it available on the internet.

BTW, here is another animation I received from coy and guess what, it's a Cyber Paint anim too.
It seems to me that another artist animated Tom Hudson's Bugs Bunny, can this be possible?

coy
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby coy » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:36 pm

Waren, i put the links via email

Here's a last one from me (.dlt), with description + gif i made (not very good actually :oops: )

Good luck :)
star trek.dlt.png

star trek.dlt.zip

coy
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby coy » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:20 am

This one is a bit long but the end is quite funny Image
dinospac.gif
Edit : gif cut to fit on the forum

300ko.png
Please, fix that !

coy
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby coy » Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:44 am

STVSAM.gif

:mrgreen: too easy !

Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mug UK » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:04 pm

Aha .. the limit for images was 300K but it's now 500K. I was correct in that attachments could be up to 3MB but it was a separate setting for inline graphics. D'oh! :oops:

Fixed now though :)

Waran
Atariator
Atariator

Postby Waran » Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:22 pm

Thanks for your contributions folks!

These files have been added since my last post:
Way Cool – DPaint demo
Hole in One – a golf tragedy by John Krsek
Laser – spaceship attack
Chasers – chasing paper planes

coy
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby coy » Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:30 pm

Another rival, another victory - nb: not as smooth as the anim
fuji.gif

BTW, he is really strong :mrgreen:

coy
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby coy » Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:32 pm

Mug UK wrote:Aha .. the limit for images was 300K but it's now 500K. I was correct in that attachments could be up to 3MB but it was a separate setting for inline graphics. D'oh! :oops:

So it's up to 500k for images, and for other files (like zip), up to 3mb ? i see, thks

Anyway, i don't think AF is ok about having too many gifs here, so i might post few others and then will stop

coy
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby coy » Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:32 pm

I like this one (.seq attached)
jumprope.gif

jumprope.zip

coy
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby coy » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:40 pm

Short extract - the whole anim employs gradual color cycling, using the full 4096-color palette
mithril.gif

coy
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby coy » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:06 am

There are a lot animations with the Enterprise ship
spacedok.gif

Again, not as smooth as the .flm
starship.gif

The very last one
silly ghosts.gif

coy
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby coy » Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:42 am

Sorry, couldn't resist.. Another great win from the ST guy over the Amiga (he IS definitely very strong..)
stwars.gif
:mrgreen: Never in doubt

With the sfx (.avs), it's still more impressive - Good job anyway from the creator..

END OF ANIMATED GIFS SELECTION.

coy
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby coy » Fri Apr 02, 2010 5:09 am

Monochrome animations are great too
swan.png

Social Media

Return to “Requests”