How to Put Together a Panorama in Atari STE Art Programs…

Discuss your favourite artists, styles, art packages and much more in this section

Moderator: Moderator Team

onkilter180
Atarian
Atarian

How to Put Together a Panorama in Atari STE Art Programs…

Postby onkilter180 » Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:52 am

Hello,

I had a question. I scanned a panoramic picture into four segments with a Golden Image hand scanner using Migraph's Touch-Up software. I am cleaning it up in Touch-Up. Here is my question. How do I stitch those pictures back together and what Atari ST program do I use? I have DEGAS Elite and Art and Film Director at my disposal. I also use an Atari 1040STE computer with four megabytes of RAM. Thank you for the advice.

NOTE: I know that the result may not fit totally on the screen, but I am curious at how I can do this and what the correct resolution would be. Thanks again.

mlynn1974
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Re: How to Put Together a Panorama in Atari STE Art Programs…

Postby mlynn1974 » Thu Dec 31, 2015 10:41 pm

Is a panaromic picture a pan and scan picture or is it to be displayed using some fullscreen routine?
I seem to remember that Deluxe Paint was very useful for handling larger than normal screens.

When we were testing displaying full screen pictures on the ST we used Deluxe Paint on the Amiga to make the big picture 384*240 IIRC. We then saved it in IFF format or blocks of 4 separate pictures. We then copied the pictures to the ST using CrossDOS and then saved the pictures in PI1 format from Deluxe Paint on the ST. It could be stitched together using the loading routines for the fullscreen displayer.

Using emulators these days would make this a lot simpler.
Still got, still working: Atari 4Mb STe, 520STFM, 2.5Mb STF.
Hardware: Cumana CSA 354, Ultimate Ripper, Blitz Turbo, Synchro Express II (US and UK Versions).

onkilter180
Atarian
Atarian

Postby onkilter180 » Sat Jan 02, 2016 2:36 am

Hi, mlynn,

Actually, I wanted it to fit in a pan-and-scan setting (which I believe is 4:3 ratio) on a TV screen. But, I do know that if I did it that way it would need to be shrunk down to fit in the middle of the screen, like a letter-boxing effect. That is one way of doing it, anyway. But, if Deluxe Paint can help, I would be interested in using it. However, I cannot find it anywhere and it is rare. Tell me something. The last time I heard Deluxe Paint was still commercial. But, are earlier variants of the application in the public domain or abandonware? Thanks.

P.S. Forgive my saying so. But, I am sort of skittish about using emulators. I like the real hardware because it is definitely faster than a simulated machine, IMHO. But, thank you for the advice about Deluxe Paint. I will look into that if I can. :)

FedePede04
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby FedePede04 » Sat Jan 02, 2016 7:12 am

Hi
If you don't mind using windows, then you can use this
viewtopic.php?t=23971&p=217736#p217736

there are some errors in it but it should work, it can both save and load degas, over scan picture.

here you can find a newer version of the program, you need to go 12 post down,
but it is only the exe file so you still need the contents from the first link.
Atari will rule the world, long after man has disappeared

sometime my English is a little weird, Google translate is my best friend :)

mlynn1974

Postby mlynn1974 » Sat Jan 02, 2016 12:10 pm

Hi onkilter,
I'm not sure about the current status of Deluxe Paint ST. My friend had the original Amiga version supplied with his A500. I wish I had bought it from him because it had the box and manual. The ST version was from a menu. I might have it on an old floppy because I don't have it on my Steem setup.

ST Paint looks fantastic and should help you easily.
Still got, still working: Atari 4Mb STe, 520STFM, 2.5Mb STF.
Hardware: Cumana CSA 354, Ultimate Ripper, Blitz Turbo, Synchro Express II (US and UK Versions).

onkilter180
Atarian
Atarian

Postby onkilter180 » Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:50 pm

Thanks for the help, FedePede and mlynn,

I did download ST Paint and I intend to use it. In the meantime, I will continue to clean up my scans that I did and I will work on this. Thanks again. :)

kranaux03
Atarian
Atarian

Postby kranaux03 » Tue May 09, 2017 1:25 pm

mlynn1974 wrote:Is a panaromic picture a pan and scan picture or is it to be displayed using some fullscreen routine?
I seem to remember that Deluxe Paint was very useful for handling larger than normal screens.

When we were testing displaying full screen pictures on the ST we used Deluxe Paint on the Amiga to make the big picture 384*240 IIRC. We then saved it in IFF format or blocks of 4 separate pictures Mobilier pas cher. We then copied the pictures to the ST using CrossDOS and then saved the pictures in PI1 format from Deluxe Paint on the ST. It could be stitched together using the loading routines for the fullscreen displayer.

Using emulators these days would make this a lot simpler.

Good technique! It may be necessary to think of publishing all this here. Kind the processes you have followed and everything.

Social Media

Return to “Discussion”