Can anyone recommend a pixel based art program that works on OS X

Discuss your favourite artists, styles, art packages and much more in this section

Moderator: Moderator Team

User avatar
Hazzardus
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Posts: 109
Joined: Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:43 pm
Location: Hove Beach (Woodingdean now haha)

Can anyone recommend a pixel based art program that works on OS X

Postby Hazzardus » Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:19 am

Just after something to edit ST graphics that isn't as painful as trying to use Photoshop, or Canvas emulated...

I remember Atari ST Deluxe Paint was good, so was Hyperpaint 2, And NeoChrome Master wasn't too bad, far better than Degas, but trying to use them emulated or even on real hardware is like pulling teeth for me now...

Photoshop is still amazing for what it's designed for, but not suited to 16 colour 320x200 files AT ALL.

Any ideas?
Own: 520STFM (1MB), 1040STE (4MB), TT, Falcon 030, Atari Lynx (Both the first one with the crap paint and the v2), Jaguar and too many x680x0 Macs to list, oh and also an Amiga 1200 (Boo!)

ThorstenOtto
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero
Posts: 968
Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:54 pm

Re: Can anyone recommend a pixel based art program that works on OS X

Postby ThorstenOtto » Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:14 am

Hazzardus wrote:Photoshop is still amazing for what it's designed for, but not suited to 16 colour 320x200 files AT ALL.


I guess that applies to most modern graphic programs on pc/linux/macos. There are plenty of programs to convert from/to degas format, so you either can do that, or just use an Atari program. You could also try eg. Vision running in ARAnyM.

DoG
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Posts: 115
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:02 pm

Re: Can anyone recommend a pixel based art program that works on OS X

Postby DoG » Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:25 am

Try GrafX2

sashapont
Captain Atari
Captain Atari
Posts: 152
Joined: Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:40 pm

Re: Can anyone recommend a pixel based art program that works on OS X

Postby sashapont » Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:57 am

Sprite somthing. ob mac and iOS
Atari Falcon, Firebee

User avatar
lp
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Posts: 2476
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2003 11:09 pm
Location: GFA Headquarters
Contact:

Re: Can anyone recommend a pixel based art program that works on OS X

Postby lp » Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:37 pm

I use Pixen on macOS.

User avatar
spiny
Disk Imager Supreme
Disk Imager Supreme
Posts: 2687
Joined: Mon Aug 11, 2003 11:53 pm
Location: just outside bristol
Contact:

Re: Can anyone recommend a pixel based art program that works on OS X

Postby spiny » Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:26 pm

grafx2

User avatar
Hazzardus
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Posts: 109
Joined: Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:43 pm
Location: Hove Beach (Woodingdean now haha)

Re: Can anyone recommend a pixel based art program that works on OS X

Postby Hazzardus » Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:11 pm

ThorstenOtto wrote:
Hazzardus wrote:Photoshop is still amazing for what it's designed for, but not suited to 16 colour 320x200 files AT ALL.


I guess that applies to most modern graphic programs on pc/linux/macos. There are plenty of programs to convert from/to degas format, so you either can do that, or just use an Atari program. You could also try eg. Vision running in ARAnyM.


I've got a plugin in Photoshop that converts .NEO .pi1, .pi2, .pi3, .pc1, .pc2, .pc3 into JPG, PNG, GIF or BMP, so that's handy, but per pixel 16 colour editing is excruciating.

DoG wrote:Try GrafX2


spiny wrote:GrafX2


This looks fantastic. Thanks

lp wrote:I use Pixen on macOS.

Might check this out too.

Thanks all for the suggestions...
Own: 520STFM (1MB), 1040STE (4MB), TT, Falcon 030, Atari Lynx (Both the first one with the crap paint and the v2), Jaguar and too many x680x0 Macs to list, oh and also an Amiga 1200 (Boo!)

User avatar
spiny
Disk Imager Supreme
Disk Imager Supreme
Posts: 2687
Joined: Mon Aug 11, 2003 11:53 pm
Location: just outside bristol
Contact:

Re: Can anyone recommend a pixel based art program that works on OS X

Postby spiny » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:09 pm

Hazzardus wrote:I've got a plugin in Photoshop that converts .NEO .pi1, .pi2, .pi3, .pc1, .pc2, .pc3 into JPG, PNG, GIF or BMP, so that's handy, but per pixel 16 colour editing is excruciating.



grafx2 will open and save PI1 without needing to convert anything :)

User avatar
Hazzardus
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Posts: 109
Joined: Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:43 pm
Location: Hove Beach (Woodingdean now haha)

Re: Can anyone recommend a pixel based art program that works on OS X

Postby Hazzardus » Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:44 pm

spiny wrote:
Hazzardus wrote:I've got a plugin in Photoshop that converts .NEO .pi1, .pi2, .pi3, .pc1, .pc2, .pc3 into JPG, PNG, GIF or BMP, so that's handy, but per pixel 16 colour editing is excruciating.



grafx2 will open and save PI1 without needing to convert anything :)


Very cool.
Own: 520STFM (1MB), 1040STE (4MB), TT, Falcon 030, Atari Lynx (Both the first one with the crap paint and the v2), Jaguar and too many x680x0 Macs to list, oh and also an Amiga 1200 (Boo!)


Social Media

     

Return to “Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest