Floppy Image tool for Windows XP

WinSTon, Nostalgia, MSA Converter, FloImg, Makedisk and all the others.

Moderators: Mug UK, Moderator Team

Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mug UK » Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:00 pm

Now that's a useful add-on. Will make some use of that - when I get a better floppy drive for my PC :)
My main site: http://www.mug-uk.co.uk - slowly digging up the bits from my past (and re-working a few): Atari ST, Sega 8-bit (game hacks) and NDS (Music ripping guide).

I develop a free Word (for Windows) add-in that's available for Word 2007 upwards. It's a fix-it toolbox that will allow power Word users to fix document errors. You can find it at: http://www.mikestoolbox.co.uk

ppera

Postby ppera » Wed Aug 30, 2006 5:25 pm

Floppy drives are really cheap now. Buy until it'savailable at all :D

Wiki site from muguk's signature should be updated.
For instance - wdfcopy can not make correct image of 800K floppy under XP. Not to mention that it is discontinued and even removed from sourceforge.

bj
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby bj » Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:44 pm

Hi
This sounds like a great tool. How thoroughly has it been tested? I'm looking to back up my Atari software master discs onto CD via a PC but don't want to risk mangling my discs - like most blokes I guess :) . It's mostly serious software so probably most of the discs aren't protected.
regards
BJ

ppera

Postby ppera » Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:02 pm

bj wrote: How thoroughly has it been tested?

I tested it intensively with lot of diverse format floppies.
Read page 'The Floppy Mystery" , where are explained problems,
incompabilities with floppy formats.

Of course, you are welcome to be tester, to contribute.

To be sure that floppy is not protected: watch is some error appears by making image (CRC, RNF). If not, it is most likely unprotected. If it will run then with emulator, 100% . Here not count games on original disks - however, those with 'manual' protection usually are unprotected from copiing, except few cases.

I'm sure that floimg is in this stage, version 0.7 tested more than any other imaging program for Atari ST.

ijor
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby ijor » Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:47 pm

bj wrote:I'm looking to back up my Atari software master discs onto CD via a PC but don't want to risk mangling my discs.

If you make sure you write protect the disks, there is almost no risk in damaging them using whatever software. The only possible way to damage them, is if the software keeps reading the same track for hours. A bad drive could, in theory, also damage disks, but it has to be in very non-working bad shape.

It's mostly serious software so probably most of the discs aren't protected.

MIDI software are among the most heavily copy protected. Many use dongles. But some do have on-disk copy protection.

ijor
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby ijor » Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:49 pm

ppera wrote:To be sure that floppy is not protected: watch is some error appears by making image (CRC, RNF). If not, it is most likely unprotected.

There are some protections that won't give any kind of error, but they are not the most common ones.

ppera

Postby ppera » Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:10 pm

Well, only 100% secure way is to play/use it on emulator couple hours, days, months... - if not uncommon one, which works not in emulator...

Or maybe just get it from some archive...

My Space Quest 3 floppy #1 is full with errors, and I don't know was it even protected - but there is at least 3-4 Gau, Pompey etc. copy/crack on the WEB. 'Serious' software may be found too. In case of special, sold in low quantity, hardware (dongle) protected you are in trouble if your floppy is damaged/too detoriated. Emailing author? Maybe more chance to win on lottery... :D

C-Rem
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

cool

Postby C-Rem » Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:28 am

thx a lot for this great prg !!!

Social Media

Return to “Other emulators & tools”