Imaging and image conversion under Linux or on real ST?

WinSTon, Nostalgia, MSA Converter, FloImg, Makedisk and all the others.

Moderators: Mug UK, Moderator Team

Lando_C
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Good work!

Postby Lando_C » Sun Sep 24, 2006 1:58 am

Sounds like that article will be very interesting reading..

what I would like would be atari and linux side scripts to automate the process - just pop a disk in the atari, wait for the beep, and you have a perfect backup image on the PC.

It should be perfectly doable given a good scriptable atari terminal program.
UK 1040 STF, SE kbd, SE tos 1.04, gotekHxC+floppy B internally, ATX psu on the side
DE Mega 1
SE Mega 2, no keyboard
SE Mega ST 4
Megafile 20 with 2 MFM drive mechanisms (80+20 meg) in hacked case, ATX psu on the side
Megafile 30
Megafile 60
SM124, SM125, finlux 19 inch TV RGBscart
PC Intel i5 8G ram many disks
5xRaspberry pi

ppera

Postby ppera » Mon Sep 25, 2006 11:34 am

beeka wrote:Windows NT (and 2000 onwards) are posix compliant, so they also expose the disk device as a file. Several years ago, I wrote a small app to read that into a file. This made nice images but no luck with non-standard formats went. It could even read the bootsector to determine the proper geometry for the disk (which worked) but could not make a proper image.

I thought the problems were with Windows... some think it is the controller chip. Could the problem also be the use of HD disk drives? Using HD disks in STs (as DD ones) is known to be problematic. Could it be that the PC drives are too precisely aligned and that the data is 'missed' on newer drives (except with some disks)?
PS: Having typed that, I realise that this might be nonsense... most standard DD disks I have tried worked fine. But I will put the thought out there anyway.

Read this (fresh):

http://www.ppest.org/atari/FloppyMistery.php

Of course that Windows is problem, better said new versions of Windows.
Last edited by ppera on Mon Sep 25, 2006 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

ppera

Postby ppera » Mon Sep 25, 2006 11:47 am

daeghnao wrote:It's "Fast Format" on my fcopy pro. And turning it off does make a readable disk. I'd expected the disk to always be skewed, no matter what. Anyway, now that I know what it is that's been stopping the disks from working, I can avoid it in the future. Thanks for the suggestion.

I have bad experiences with Fast Copy Pro - as it is visible in another thread.

So, FC pro's switch "Fast format" does 2 changes: uses skew and makes extremely short track lead in on floppies? It is pretty stupid.

Skew has nothing with reliability or possibility of read on PC. DOS, Windows also formats all floppies with skew. Culprit is too short track lead gap. I consider it as bug in FC Pro, because I don't se any advantage of it... Author obviously didn't test it on PC - it was in 1991.

May I recommend my recently finished format program for Atari:

http://www.ppest.org/atari/flofor.html

It has special care for PC formats.

I would like if some of Linux users can give me some hints about choosing GUI:

I plan to make Linux version of Win program FloImg (mainly for Atari floppies)

http://www.ppest.org/atari/floimgd.php

I thought earlier about console version. However, at this stage it seems not good idea. So, I will try straight with Dialog version. Actually it should be quite simple - buttons, couple Edit and checkboxes, perhaps progress bar plus List Box for file extractions. What to choose - for total beginner?

I know about Qt and GTK...

daeghnao
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby daeghnao » Mon Sep 25, 2006 12:57 pm

ppera wrote:
daeghnao wrote:It's "Fast Format" on my fcopy pro. And turning it off does make a readable disk. I'd expected the disk to always be skewed, no matter what. Anyway, now that I know what it is that's been stopping the disks from working, I can avoid it in the future. Thanks for the suggestion.

I have bad experiences with Fast Copy Pro - as it is visible in another thread.

So, FC pro's switch "Fast format" does 2 changes: uses skew and makes extremely short track lead in on floppies? It is pretty stupid.

Skew has nothing with reliability or possibility of read on PC. DOS, Windows also formats all floppies with skew. Culprit is too short track lead gap. I consider it as bug in FC Pro, because I don't se any advantage of it... Author obviously didn't test it on PC - it was in 1991.

May I recommend my recently finished format program for Atari:

http://www.ppest.org/atari/flofor.html

It has special care for PC formats.

I've been reading along with all of the floppy threads, and I'm impressed with the level of effort you've put into this work. The short lead issue isn't something I would ever have noticed without learning a lot more about disks.

I would like if some of Linux users can give me some hints about choosing GUI:

I thought earlier about console version. However, at this stage it seems not good idea. So, I will try straight with Dialog version. Actually it should be quite simple - buttons, couple Edit and checkboxes, perhaps progress bar plus List Box for file extractions. What to choose - for total beginner?

There are all sorts of options, as you've no doubt found. For my own projects, I use wxwidgets, as it was the simplest cross-platform system for me to set up with the cross-compiler at the time. There are so many different GUI toolkits for use with the X Window System these days, still, that a seasoned Linux user won't complain too much no matter which system you choose, so I expect it's just a matter of what best matches with your existing application code - Qt and wxwidgets work best with C++ source, and GTK seems to be favoured for C source. Let us Linux lot know if there's something specific we can do to help with testing, of course.

simonsunnyboy

Postby simonsunnyboy » Mon Sep 25, 2006 2:55 pm

ppera wrote:I plan to make Linux version of Win program FloImg (mainly for Atari floppies)

If your main code is C++, you should go for QT. GTK is hardly preferred these days but as long as you don't use Athena or XSteem-alike lowlevel GUI, noone will complain if you use something else.
WxWindows might be an option s well just because you could use the same GUI code for both OS worlds.
Simon Sunnyboy/Paradize - http://paradize.atari.org/

Stay cool, stay Atari!

1x2600jr, 1x1040STFm, 1x1040STE 4MB+TOS2.06+SatanDisk, 1xF030 14MB+FPU+NetUS-Bee

Lautreamont
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby Lautreamont » Mon Sep 25, 2006 8:55 pm

ppera wrote:I would like if some of Linux users can give me some hints about choosing GUI:

May I suggest that whatever the GUI you choose, you separate the fdc code from the graphics. I mean you could write the fdc code like a library, and wrap the calls to its functions either in a window or a command line program.

Many graphics programs on linux are really wrappers to command line ones (like the cd recorders for instance).

ppera

Postby ppera » Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:42 am

Lautreamont wrote:May I suggest that whatever the GUI you choose, you separate the fdc code from the graphics. I mean you could write the fdc code like a library, and wrap the calls to its functions either in a window or a command line program.
Many graphics programs on linux are really wrappers to command line ones (like the cd recorders for instance).

Hmm... Fdc code itself is not big in programm. There is much more code for diverse formats, filesystem support - Like MSA decompressing, file extraction from floppies or images.
I know about that many program is basically command line based. However it would require developing of command line parameter structures - while I have it all in variables and SetBoxes. I plan GUI version exactly to avoid all work required to make command line support. How to make files selection from ListBox in command line mode?

Social Media

Return to “Other emulators & tools”