Emulator with built in assembler ?

WinSTon, Nostalgia, MSA Converter, FloImg, Makedisk and all the others.

Moderators: Mug UK, Moderator Team

retrocoder
Atarian
Atarian

Emulator with built in assembler ?

Postby retrocoder » Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:19 am

Is there an ST emulator with a built in assembler ?

Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mug UK » Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:44 am

STEEM has a built-in debugger but only in the Debug build of it - but no assembler.
My main site: http://www.mug-uk.co.uk - slowly digging up the bits from my past (and re-working a few): Atari ST, Sega 8-bit (game hacks) and NDS (Music ripping guide).

I develop a free Word (for Windows) add-in that's available for Word 2007 upwards. It's a fix-it toolbox that will allow power Word users to fix document errors. You can find it at: http://www.mikestoolbox.co.uk

MSueper
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby MSueper » Thu Jan 12, 2006 4:31 pm

Hello,
rb - once very active here - was about to develop an emulator with such things. I guess it was netatari (or so). Please search for this, maybe his emu has become real...
Martin

simonsunnyboy

Postby simonsunnyboy » Thu Jan 12, 2006 4:33 pm

Why use a buildin assembler?
You can load native assembler packages in any decent emus.
And you can always install a crossassembler into your host system.
Simon Sunnyboy/Paradize - http://paradize.atari.org/

Stay cool, stay Atari!

1x2600jr, 1x1040STFm, 1x1040STE 4MB+TOS2.06+SatanDisk, 1xF030 14MB+FPU+NetUS-Bee

MSueper
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby MSueper » Thu Jan 12, 2006 4:36 pm

Cross Assembler?! 8O
Anyone you prefer?

simonsunnyboy

Postby simonsunnyboy » Thu Jan 12, 2006 4:41 pm

The GNU toolchain is available for m68k - and you can compiel it on i86 to produce m68k - compelte with GNU assembler and GNu C -> cross development system
However this is rather tricky...

For Windows specifically, there must exist something. IIRC Leonard of Oxygene has links and a tutorial on this. He is using that to develop stuff to be run in SainT.
Simon Sunnyboy/Paradize - http://paradize.atari.org/

Stay cool, stay Atari!

1x2600jr, 1x1040STFm, 1x1040STE 4MB+TOS2.06+SatanDisk, 1xF030 14MB+FPU+NetUS-Bee

retrocoder
Atarian
Atarian

Postby retrocoder » Thu Jan 12, 2006 4:42 pm

I normally write games for the ZX Spectrum using the "Spin" emulator. This has a good built in assembler and support for placing break points and single stepping etc. The main advantage I found is that the assembler doesn't reside in the memory of the emulated ZX Spectrum. If the Spectrum crashes it doesn't take down the assembler source with it. I can make a change assemble and run. The whole process is fast and stable. As I have done almost no assembler on the ST I wanted an environment that would allow me to start developing a game with out having to fight the hardware. As there isn't an ST emulator with a built in assembler I would prefer to use a cross assembler approach. Can you recommend any software / setup ? I am using the STEEM emulator.

tobe
Atari God
Atari God

Postby tobe » Thu Jan 12, 2006 6:49 pm

You can also edit your sources outside the emulator, using the steem HD emulation, and only use the emulator to compile your code.
With steem memory snapshot feature to speed startup it works just fine :)
(but don't make the snapshot when the file selector is open because it will miss new files until you close and reopen it)
step 1: introduce bug, step 2: fix bug, step 3: goto step 1.

MSueper
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby MSueper » Thu Jan 12, 2006 7:11 pm

you are right. But it would be VERY nice to have a special editor with some sort of syntax highlighting and other goodies.

This is, why i still use the gfa basic editor. There is no windows editor i know, which is as good. But assembler is different, maybe there is one...

unseenmenace
Atari God
Atari God

Postby unseenmenace » Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:26 am

I use Devpac under STeem but make cunning use of the memory snapshot feature to get the benefits you are talking about. I have set up keyboard shortcuts so I can easily make a snapshot just before running my program. Then if the program crashes the emulated ST I can simply use another keyboard shortcut to load the last snapshot, returning the emulator to exactly how it was before I ran my program :)
UNSEEN MENACE
Several STFM's, 4MB STE, 2MB TT with 1.2GB Hard Drive and 14MB Falcon with 540MB Hard Drive,
Lynx 2 and Jaguar with JagCD
Member of GamebaseST and AtariLegend team
Check out my website at http://unseenmenace.110mb.com

Social Media

Return to “Other emulators & tools”