Gemulator and disk images

WinSTon, Nostalgia, MSA Converter, FloImg, Makedisk and all the others.

Moderators: Mug UK, Moderator Team

nagual
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Gemulator and disk images

Postby nagual » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:16 pm

Can anyone explain how can I use Gemulator HDD images ?
Which driver I need ?
I try with AHDI 5, 6, 6.061 and HDDriver without success.
But, sample disk images which comes with Gemulator works, but I can't boot, I need a driver in A: and then, after booting I need to click on
"Install devices" to see all drives.
But I don't think this is a good way :-)

I used Gemulator 8 and Gemulator 9 beta.

When I activate option "Windows file access", everything working, but, anyway, I can't install NVDI, MagiC, XBOOT won't work etc..
But, point is to work with images, to have different setups like TOS,MAgiC, N.AES, MiNT with different desktops, configuraions etc..

I know I can do anything with Aranym, but, for me it's very important to fix it to work with Gemulator, I have my own reasons :-)

So, any help, here or in PM is more then welcome !

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Re: Gemulator and disk images

Postby AtariZoll » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:15 pm

Gemulator is not full Atari emulator - it does not emulate low level HW accurately. So, you just can not run many things with it. I used it in past, some 12 years ago. But now we have much better emulators. It was good because speed was good on machines of that age - right because of partial emulation.
So, I think that you should not waste your time with it. Unless you have some really good "own" reason. Unfortunately, I'm sure that SW will not show sympathy for that :mrgreen:
Negative feedback has usually positive effect.

nagual
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby nagual » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:02 pm

AtariZoll wrote:Gemulator is not full Atari emulator - it does not emulate low level HW accurately. So, you just can not run many things with it. I used it in past, some 12 years ago. But now we have much better emulators. It was good because speed was good on machines of that age - right because of partial emulation.
So, I think that you should not waste your time with it. Unless you have some really good "own" reason. Unfortunately, I'm sure that SW will not show sympathy for that :mrgreen:

Hmmm..i didn't know that :?

Thank you for info :-)

But...I find some old posts (from 2007) from Forum users bj and FatRakoon and regarding their posts, they use HDD images regularly to have different configurations, even make images from existing Atari partition and just linked to Gemulator:-)

Question is...how do they make it ? :lol:
I send PM to both users, but no answer, so I can wait, but , in a meantime, just looking if someone else know something:-)

And my reasons are really simple - I have an old, but really good laptop - too old to run Aranym/STEmulator/Tos2Win, but Gemulator works like a charm, so idea is make an "Atari" laptop using HDD images and Gemulator.

I know FatRakoon have a terrible accident, and bj is on vacation or something (his last activity was 25.10), and he uses Gemulator on daily basis.

Also, I try contact Derek Mihocka using mail address from Emulators.com, but, I think this mail address is not more in use, so if anyone else know how can i contact Derek Mihocka, or any ither member from Gemulator team, I'll be very grateful :-)

Cheers :cheers:

Faucon2001
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Faucon2001 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:56 pm

I have used Gemulator in the old time on a Pentium 2 and it was running really well. I had TOS 1.04, Magic and Mint KGMD running fine on it. Most of Gem productivity apps were running fine too, and serial and paralell ports were correctly emulated. I remember connecting to BBS with it. No games nor demos were running of course.
I was using AHDI if I remember well. Be careful with partitioning, old TOS generally like no more than 32 MB partitions, especially for boot. Check for the max partition size allowed by your TOS version.
I guess the sample disk image doesn't have HD driver installed. Install ahdi driver on it.

On the other side, on a Raspberry Pi 3, Aranym reaches the speed of a CT60, and Hatari a Mega STE @32.
You will achieve much more with your old laptop and with an increased compatibility. It worth giving a try.
Philippe

Firebee, Falcon, STE, Aranym Box, Hatari Pi Box.
My music http://www.philippeworld.net/
My photography http://phil-67.deviantart.com/
EasyAraMint, BeeKey and BeePi https://sites.google.com/site/emaappsarch/home

nagual
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby nagual » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:14 pm

Faucon2001 wrote:I have used Gemulator in the old time on a Pentium 2 and it was running really well. I had TOS 1.04, Magic and Mint KGMD running fine on it. Most of Gem productivity apps were running fine too, and serial and paralell ports were correctly emulated. I remember connecting to BBS with it. No games nor demos were running of course.
I was using AHDI if I remember well. Be careful with partitioning, old TOS generally like no more than 32 MB partitions, especially for boot. Check for the max partition size allowed by your TOS version.
I guess the sample disk image doesn't have HD driver installed. Install ahdi driver on it.

On the other side, on a Raspberry Pi 3, Aranym reaches the speed of a CT60, and Hatari a Mega STE @32.
You will achieve much more with your old laptop and with an increased compatibility. It worth giving a try.

Hi, thank you for replay :-)

Well, I use TOS 2.06, and sample disk have partition of 60 MB, and use AHDI driver, you're right:-)
Main question and problem is - how can I start Gemulator to boot from HDD Image, and not from Windows ???
So, simply, I want avoid boot from windows C:\ and want boot from HDD image - but I can't... :evil: :evil: :evil:

Now it's a matter of challenge, looks like I'm stupid or so...but I can't figured how do this...even with pre-formatted sample disk I cant boot directly from image....I'm really #$%%%#$%%%!!!! !

Faucon2001
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Faucon2001 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:37 am

If you have properly installed Driver.sys on the First partition of your disk image, then I guess that there is a setup in Gemulator to boot on this disk image instead of the GEMDOS folder.
Sorry I can't help more, the Gemulator version I used was the DOS one, and it was 20 years ago :-/
Philippe

Firebee, Falcon, STE, Aranym Box, Hatari Pi Box.
My music http://www.philippeworld.net/
My photography http://phil-67.deviantart.com/
EasyAraMint, BeeKey and BeePi https://sites.google.com/site/emaappsarch/home

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby AtariZoll » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:43 am

I started Gemulator today, first time in last 10 years, I guess. Getting through setup was little messy, and it may be just because it works not reliable anymore - my PC seems too fast for it's old code.
I tried with some hard disk images which work well in Steem (Pasti ACSI emulation) and in Hatari. But none worked really. I got HDDriver message at autoboot from image, and partitions were mounted, but no files visible, disk info of Desktop works not. With other driver (mine ACSI) just got bombs at autoboot. So, what I see is that autoboot from C actually works, what means that there is some level of ACSI emulation in Gemulator.
That would mean that with AHDI it should work on slower PC. Just tried image with AHDI driver, and bombs.
Basically, you need image with working autoboot ACSI driver. I'm not sure that is possible to perform properly partitioning and installation of hard disk driver on some empty image from emulated floppy in Gemulator - even on older PC. If you can run newer v. of Hatari or Steem with Pasti, you can make such image. AHDI is available for free.
That's all I can do at moment. I need slower PC ! :mrgreen:

nagual
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby nagual » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:31 am

Thank you very much AtariZoll and Faucon2001 for help and time you guys spent to try to solve my problem:-)

Just one question for AtariZoll - when you mount images, did you uncheked option "Windows file access" ?
And on "Disk properties" you mount images on first free slot after floppy ?
And boot disk was A?
Or C?
I have sample disk which come with Gemulator, I think he have correct AHDI driver installed.
At least, I can see him and make an AUTO folder with AHDI.prg....

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby AtariZoll » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:02 am

Yes, must uncheck Windows file access. Yes, first slot after floppies - what is actually ACSI target 0, usually drive C: .
Boot disk is C .
That sample image is 80MEG.DSK ? I can't see DL for it on Gemulator site. I think that I used it in past, but did not preserve it. So, can you RAR/ZIP it and post here ? I guess that it will be not long file that way.

nagual
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby nagual » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:34 pm

OK, here'e the ZIP file with 2 pre-formatted AHDI drives with SHDRIVER.sys on it, no AUTO folder.
One drive is 80MEG.dsk, and another is BIGDISK.dsk, 2 partitions AHDI drive.

I hope you can do something with this:-)

Cheers! :cheers:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby AtariZoll » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:00 pm

Thanx. Both images work well in Gemulator 2008 and 2000 . And I still can not make other (working in other emulators) images with AHDI or other driver to work. So, I guess that Gemulator needs specific AHDI version and maybe some special settings too to emulate Atari ACSI hard disk port. Maybe it is done with some hacks - indeed there is no enough good ACSI emulation to work with any driver. Sources are now available, so anyone is free to improve it :D

nagual
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby nagual » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:19 pm

Thank you very much AtariZoll for your time and effort:-)

Just one question (again!) - did you successfully boot from image ?
What was the Gemulator setup ?

Cheers ! :cheers:

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby AtariZoll » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:22 pm

Yes, I booted successfully from both images you supplied. With Gemulator 2000 and 2008.
It boots even when Windows file access is on - when Boot disk C is set, but C on image is not accessible because C is mapped for Windows C partition,
This is flaw of program, as I see - you can not set what image partition, what Windows partition to map to which Atari logical drive. It would be good, because then could perform data transfers. And it throw bombs when try to close drive window. No Windows file access and hard disk image file at once!
So, Boot disk C: , Windows file access off, first slot after floppies - assign there your image file .
I tried only with TOS 2.06 - there is easiest to follow mounted partitions (Install Devices) .

nagual
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby nagual » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:05 pm

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

It's work !!!! Finally !!!

I owe you, my friend :D
Once again, thank you for your support, effort and time :-)

Cheers ! :cheers:

Social Media

Return to “Other emulators & tools”