Aranym Network under OSX 10.12

WinSTon, Nostalgia, MSA Converter, FloImg, Makedisk and all the others.

Moderators: Mug UK, Moderator Team

Koriander
Atarian
Atarian

Aranym Network under OSX 10.12

Postby Koriander » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:29 pm

Hi,
i have a problem with network configuration of Aranym under OSX 10.12.5.

My Config in Aranym:

[ETH0]
Type = bridge debug ip
Tunnel = en1
HostIP = 192.168.0.1
AtariIP = 192.168.0.147
Netmask = 255.255.255.0
MAC = 00:3e:e1:be:e7:6e

Problem is that the bpf_helper requires password again and again and Aranym will not start.
I've typed in my administrator login with no luck, and also root login will not work.

Any idea to fix this?

mcatari
Atarian
Atarian

Re: Aranym Network under OSX 10.12

Postby mcatari » Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:20 pm

had the same problem and got it (at least) running by commenting all lines in [ETH0] out

lp
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby lp » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:15 am

It's working for me, but I'm running v0.9.16 which is a somewhat old. The mouse grab feature, where the mouse is confined to the window is horribly broken in subsequent versions. A feature I happen to really like. That's why I stopped updating the binary. The latest version gets stuck in an endless password loop as you have noticed.

ThorstenOtto
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby ThorstenOtto » Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:55 pm

Koriander wrote:Any idea to fix this?

Could you try with a current snapshot build? It is available at bintray

ThorstenOtto
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby ThorstenOtto » Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:16 pm

lp wrote:The mouse grab feature, where the mouse is confined to the window is horribly broken in subsequent versions.

Could you explain what exactly is broken? And maybe also try it with a current snapshot, available at bintray (the linux binaries are build on an ubuntu 14.04 (trusty) environment, which currently requires glibc >= 2.14)

lp
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby lp » Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:40 pm

Current OSX snapshot for me won't do anything. Never get prompt for password to allow network access, it just hangs. I have to force kill it. The password issues started with macOS Sierra.

As for the mouse grab, I did try the release version of 1.0.2 before Sierra when the binary would startup ok.
In the config:

Code: Select all

[STARTUP]
GrabMouse = Yes

All I did was replace the aranym binary with newer version and nothing else. Then the mouse grab isn't working at all. If I bump the edges of the window it ungrabs when it should not. To make matters worse it also ungrabs randomly for no reason while the mouse is in the window area while I'm trying to use it. Lucky if it works for a few seconds. Completely unusable. Go back to the old version and mouse grab is ok again.

ThorstenOtto
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby ThorstenOtto » Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:57 am

lp wrote:Current OSX snapshot for me won't do anything. Never get prompt for password to allow network access, it just hangs.

Thats strange. I am prompted only once, as expected. But i did not completely setup network yet, just set the type to "bridge" to the bpf-helper is used. And on VirtualBox, network support might be different since it is emulated.

lp wrote:If I bump the edges of the window it ungrabs when it should not. To make matters worse it also ungrabs randomly for no reason while the mouse is in the window area while I'm trying to use it.

I try to take a look at it. That automatic ungrabbing is actually the way it imho should be (most virtual machines do it the same, think of your mouse being grabbed and then the program hangs, that would render your whole desktop unusable). But of course the setting should be honored.

You might still be able to test the current version when disabling network so the helper program is not used.

lp
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby lp » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:37 am

I do test as you suggested. If I comment out the [ETH0] section of my config the current snapshot starts right up. The weird random ungrabbing while the mouse was in the window area seems to be gone. However, it still totally ignores the fact that the config says GrabMouse = Yes.

ThorstenOtto
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby ThorstenOtto » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:44 am

lp wrote:The weird random ungrabbing while the mouse was in the window area seems to be gone.

Good.

lp wrote:However, it still totally ignores the fact that the config says GrabMouse = Yes.

i'll look into that.

That leaves the question why it hangs when bpf_helper is used... any chance to find out what happens there?

Thorsten

PS.: feel free to answer via PM, or join the aranym list (send mail to aranym+subscribe@googlegroups.com)

lp
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby lp » Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:42 pm

I'm already on the aranym list. I reported the problem a long time ago. Philipp Donzé might be able to shed more light on the bpf_helper problem.

ThorstenOtto
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby ThorstenOtto » Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:44 am

lp wrote:I'm already on the aranym list.

Ah ok. That stupid interface there only shows the nicknames or whatever of the members, so its hard to tell sometimes.

lp wrote:Philipp Donzé might be able to shed more light on the bpf_helper problem.

I hope so. I actually don't know that much about MacOSX. But the program was only changed once some years ago, and the current snapshots are build on macOS 10.12. Not sure about the official 1.0.2 release though, i think Francois build it on 10.6.

In the meantime, a new snapshot is available at bintray that should hopefully fix your mouse problems.

lp
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby lp » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:24 am

The mouse grab mostly works, but bumping the window edges causes some strange flicker. The host cursor appears just outside the edges. Sometimes they become out of sync or something and there's some offset that prevents the mouse from going where you want it to. It's sort of random. A snapshot isn't sufficient to see what is going on so I tried quicktime screen recording. Whenever I try to record, aranym refuses to regain focus, it acts locked up, soon as I stop the quicktime it suddenly goes back to working after a few seconds. Very strange, old aranym I can screen record. Anyway, I apologize for crappy video, it was the best I could do with my mobile and trying to hold it steady.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0By6ng ... 3hBdTlxbWs

ThorstenOtto
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby ThorstenOtto » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:44 am

lp wrote:The mouse grab mostly works, but bumping the window edges causes some strange flicker.

That seems to be caused by the way SDL works on MacOSX. When the mouse hits the edge, it turns into the shape to change the window size, even if it is still inside the window. I think there is not much we can do about this, other than making the window non-resizable. BTW is there a specific reason why you want to confine the mouse to the window? Especially on MacOSX, where you explicitly have to release the mousegrab to access the menubar.

The problem with the password dialog seems to only happen when you directly start the app from the *.dmg. It should go away when you copy the folder to the harddisk first.

lp
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby lp » Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:17 am

The old aranym doesn't have any issues when the mouse hits the edges, its perfectly confined as if its a monitor border, no flicker, no host cursor flashing etc. Nothing unusual happens.

I always copy it to the hard drive before testing. I had to disable the network feature to test it, just as before. No clue why bpf_helper is causing the hang. Can't find where it sends log information. I just keep plugging away with the old version, I must have the network feature for STiK and MiNT-net software coding/testing. . ;)

ThorstenOtto
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby ThorstenOtto » Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:49 am

lp wrote:The old aranym doesn't have any issues when the mouse hits the edges, its perfectly confined as if its a monitor border, no flicker, no host cursor flashing etc. Nothing unusual happens.

Sigh. I take a look again. I hate really hate this. There are way too many configurations (grabbing/not grabbing, using fvdi or not, using opengl or not, SDL1/SDL2 behave differently, different video drivers for different OS behave differently with respect to mouse movement reporting...)

lp wrote:Can't find where it sends log information.

It's just written to stdout/stderr. You only see it when directly starting the app from a terminal.

lp wrote:No clue why bpf_helper is causing the hang.

The helper program must be setuid root to be able to do its work. Since the build environment does not allow to set the permissions automatically, it is done "on the fly" when the program starts and detects that the setuid bit is not set, by calling chmod/chown on its own executable, then restarting itself. That obviously fails if you run it from the dmg, since they are mounted readonly.

lp wrote:I just keep plugging away with the old version

:(

lp wrote:I must have the network feature for STiK and MiNt-net software coding/testing. . ;)

I did not manage to setup network properly yet on aranym, but if i understand it right "bridge" mode only allows to talk to your host on the same LAN, but not to the real internet connection of the host.

lp
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby lp » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:10 pm

Ok, I will try to start it from terminal with network enabled and post a log later when I get home. On lunch break atm.

lp
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby lp » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:26 pm

I always copy the binary to the HD. Learned along time ago on osx not to run apps from disk images. ;)
Starting aranym from terminal yields some strange results:

iMac-i7:desktop lon$ "MacAranym.app/Contents/MacOS/MacAranym"
ARAnyM 1.0.2
Using config file: '/Users/lon/Documents/Aranym_files/config'
>>> Missing value in Config file /Users/lon/Documents/Aranym_files/config on line 7 !!!
dyld: Library not loaded: /opt/local/lib/libjpeg.9.dylib
  Referenced from: /Users/lon/Desktop/MacAranym.app/Contents/MacOS/bpf_helper
  Reason: image not found

lp
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby lp » Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:32 am

A few hours later and a crap ton of googling I have managed to install this missing library using MacPorts. Much to my surprise it installed into the correct path. I retested the snapshot and now I get the password prompt. It even accepts my password exactly once. I then logged into IRC with my STiK irc app. That's some progress. ;)

ThorstenOtto
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby ThorstenOtto » Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:26 pm

lp wrote:A few hours later and a crap ton of googling I have managed to install this missing library using MacPorts. Much to my surprise it installed into the correct path.

Oops. That was a problem in the project file, that tool does not need the jpeg library of course. Should be fixed now.

lp wrote:I retested the snapshot and now I get the password prompt. It even accepts my password exactly once. I then logged into IRC with my STiK irc app. That's some progress. ;)

There have indeed been some bugs in the way that tool was invoked, especially when it fails. One of those bugs would cause the main app to try read from a socket, but noone ever writing to it. That explains why the app then hangs and had to be killed. Should also be fixed now.

One strange thing currently remains: in my setup, when i start it from a terminal, i see the message

BPF(0): Unable to set promiscious mode: Invalid argument

Previously, it would fail then, and close the connection. I have changed that now to simply ignore that, but i'm not entirely sure wether it actually works.

For the mouse issue, i tried how version 0.9.16 worked before. The behaviour on macOS seems to be still a bit different than on linux/X11, i sometimes see two mouse cursors, as seen in Image. The flickering though should have gone now.

The new snapshot is available at bintray.

PS.: you should maybe remove the "debug" keyword in your config line for the ethernet driver, that will only cause to print debug infos for every frame received, but (unless you start it from a terminal) won't be visible.

lp
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby lp » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:15 pm

The mouse grab seems ok now, well done. Fullscreen option isn't working either since updating to Sierra. I suspect SDL issue as well, but that I can live without.

ThorstenOtto
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby ThorstenOtto » Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:22 am

lp wrote:The mouse grab seems ok now, well done.

Thank goodness! ;)

lp wrote:Fullscreen option isn't working either since updating to Sierra.

Does that mean it did not work with 0.9.16 either on sierra? Then it really looks like an SDL issue. Maybe using SDL2 could help, but it might as well cause other problems (Hatari had some problems with SDL2 too). And it would be quite some work to get that configuration done from the project file.

lp
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby lp » Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:25 am

Fullscreen stopped working on all versions (old or new) soon as I updated to Sierra. Like I say, feature I can live without.

Koriander
Atarian
Atarian

Postby Koriander » Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:18 am

Hi, i had the same problem with the mouse grabbing, but with the last snapshot it will work fine!
The problem that password is not accepted and it asks again and again is gone too.
Mouse grabbing is working with network type=bridge without problems. I have no flickering on the edges.
On start it asks one time and Aranym starts without problems.

But i have no network access, maybe anything is wrong in my network config.
Here's my debug log:

====================================================================================
Using config file: '/Users/swilhelm/Documents/Aranym_files/config'
FDC A: error reading boot sector
/Applications/MacAranym/MacAranym.app/Contents/MacOS/bpf_helper: Running as user 501 instead of root. Fixing permissions.
fix_permissions(/Applications/MacAranym/MacAranym.app/Contents/MacOS/bpf_helper)
Getting authorizsation for root execution...
Executing chown root:admin /Applications/MacAranym/MacAranym.app/Contents/MacOS/bpf_helper
Executing chmod ug+s,g+x /Applications/MacAranym/MacAranym.app/Contents/MacOS/bpf_helper
/Applications/MacAranym/MacAranym.app/Contents/MacOS/bpf_helper: Permissions fixed. Restarting.
/Applications/MacAranym/MacAranym.app/Contents/MacOS/bpf_helper: opening /dev/bpf0 failed. Resource busy
/Applications/MacAranym/MacAranym.app/Contents/MacOS/bpf_helper: opening /dev/bpf1 failed. Resource busy
/Applications/MacAranym/MacAranym.app/Contents/MacOS/bpf_helper: /dev/bpf2 opened
Could not open joystick 0
Path to TOS ROM image file undefined
EmuTOS 2014/02/26 loading from '/Users/swilhelm/Documents/Aranym_files/emutos-aranym.img'... [OK]
FDC A: error reading boot sector
sda: BGM
sdb: LNX
sdc: BGM
/Applications/MacAranym/MacAranym.app/Contents/MacOS/bpf_helper: done
NF BOOTSTRAP_ARGS()
NF BOOTSTRAP( -> $000410a0, 14106720)
NF BOOTSTRAP($000410a0, 14106720) -> 0
realloc_region: reg = 0, newsize 38400
realloc_region: reg is NULL
pid 0 (MiNT): Ext2-FS [D]: WARNING: mounting unchecked fs, running e2fsck is recommended
pid 57 (xaaes): run_km(xaaes040.km) ok (bp 0x8648160)!
pid 57 (xaaes): run_km: run=0x8648260
====================================================================================

Is this the correct interpretation of config settings?

Type = bridge
Tunnel = en1
HostIP = 192.168.0.1
AtariIP = 192.168.0.106
Netmask = 255.255.255.0
MAC = 00:3e:e1:be:e7:6e

Type = bridge
Tunnel = en1 (my mac pro 2013 has 2 ethernet ports, in macs sysinfo the bsd name en1 is active with ip 192.168.0.147, so this setting should be correct)
HostIP = 192.168.0.1 (IP of my network router)
AtariIP = 192.168.0.106 (free IP to use for Aranym network)
Netmask = 255.255.255.0 (Mask should be ok, its the same for my mac)
MAC = 00:3e:e1:be:e7:6e (MAC-address of may mac pro: Is this correct or is this a fake MAC for Aranym?)

My network router connects only when MAC-address is known, so i have normally this (mac pro MAC) connected to IP:192.168.0.147, so that the MAc pro gets via DHCP this IP. The Aranym side uses the same MAC as described above, and i have setup my router with a second MAC to IP translation for IP:192.168.0.106.
In EasyAraMINT (on Atari side) i have started the network configuration panel and changed the things like that:

Interface: eth0
Ip address: 192.168.0.106
Netmask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.0.1
Nameserver: 192.168.0.1
Domain: (empty)
Hostname: emubox

I have tried a few things:
1. Ping Aranym in OSX terminal (ping 192.168.0.106), result: timeout
2. iNet Tool on OSX can’t see anything new in the network
3. Router can’t see anything new in DHCP list
4. Ping (from Aranym side) to 192.168.0.147 (the mac pro) or to 192.168.0.1 (the router) gets a timeout result

Is there a wrong config setting?

Koriander
Atarian
Atarian

Postby Koriander » Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:49 am

It's very strange. Network will work now, yeah!
But only when i start Aranym from terminal. In this case the password question comes NOT on start, but it works.
When i start Aranym app normally, the password question is coming on every start. But in this case of normal start, network will not work!
Strange behaviour.

ThorstenOtto
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby ThorstenOtto » Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:15 am

Koriander wrote:But only when i start Aranym from terminal. In this case the password question comes NOT on start, but it works.

The dialog should only come when you start it for the first time.

Koriander wrote:When i start Aranym app normally, the password question is coming on every start. But in this case of normal start, network will not work!Strange behaviour.

That sounds as if setting the permissions on the executable failed. Are you trying to execute it from the mounted DMG? If that happens, it will print a message (which is not visible when started from Finder), and the network device is disabled without further notice. You could try to set it manually once, from the terminal by typing

sudo chown root:admin <Path to Bundle>/MacAranym.app/Contents/MacOS/bpf_helper
sudo chmod u+s,g+s <Path to Bundle>/MacAranym.app/Contents/MacOS/bpf_helper

You can check it with
ls -l <Path to Bundle>/MacAranym.app/Contents/MacOS/bpf_helper
which should have -rwsr-sr-x in the first column.

Note that, if your are using the JIT or MMU version, the path to the application bundle will contain spaces, so you have to put the whole path in quotes.

After that, the dialog should not appear any longer, wether you start it from the commandline or from Finder.

Thorsten

PS.: i don't check that forum that regularly, so if you have any specific questions don't hesitate to contact me directly via email

Social Media

Return to “Other emulators & tools”