Aranym and Linux question

WinSTon, Nostalgia, MSA Converter, FloImg, Makedisk and all the others.

Moderators: Mug UK, Moderator Team

nagual
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Aranym and Linux question

Postby nagual » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:12 pm

Question for Linux / Aranym forum experts...

Is it possible to make some embedded Linux installation with basic drivers (graphic, LAN,mouse, keyboard, printers, USB, HDD etc...), no GUI, no desktop, no programs, no codecs, no nothing, just directly boot (start) Aranym...

Which Linux distribution will be suitable for something like this ?
Small enough, and fast ?
Text based?

Please note that I'm very new in Linux and don't have enough knowledge and experience to do something like that:-)

So, any help, comments, link on "how-to" is more than welcome !

Regards !

P.S. I don't want to install AFROS, not my cup of tea, Aranym is (for me, of course) real deal :-)

nagual
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: Aranym and Linux question

Postby nagual » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:14 pm

I forgot - basic file manager like MC is must:-)
And some kind of HDD driver for Linux and support for Aranym disk images (if needed...)

vido
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby vido » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:16 pm

nagual
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby nagual » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:36 pm

@vido

Thank You for link, I was playing with version 8, but my problem is - don't like MiNT :-(
Somehow prefer pure TOS / MagiC /Geneva stuff:-))

But, anyway, I just downloading BeeKey 9...

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:57 pm

You can just run Emutos or Falcon TOS image and not run Mint/XaAES on Aranym.
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63+CTPCI_ATI_RTL8139 14+512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff for sale - click here for list

nagual
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby nagual » Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:25 pm

@wongck

Aha:-))
I can try:-)

BlankVector
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby BlankVector » Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:00 pm

nagual wrote:I forgot - basic file manager like MC is must:-)

Do you know KK Commander? A must have.

nagual wrote:And some kind of HDD driver for Linux and support for Aranym disk images (if needed...)

EmuTOS has embedded IDE driver + special acceleration for ARAnyM partitions.

nagual
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby nagual » Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:25 pm

BlankVector wrote:
nagual wrote:I forgot - basic file manager like MC is must:-)

Do you know KK Commander? A must have.

nagual wrote:And some kind of HDD driver for Linux and support for Aranym disk images (if needed...)

EmuTOS has embedded IDE driver + special acceleration for ARAnyM partitions.

Of course I know KK Commander, but, when I say MC (Midnight Commander), I was thinking about file manager on Linux side, just in case:-))

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:39 pm

BlankVector wrote:EmuTOS has embedded IDE driver + special acceleration for ARAnyM partitions.

EmuTos would be a much better option than Falcon TOS image (other than you have to dump it).
If you use Falcon TOS image file, don't forget to put your disk drive driver in your AUTO if you want to access C:.
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63+CTPCI_ATI_RTL8139 14+512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff for sale - click here for list

Faucon2001
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Faucon2001 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:32 am

Hi, thanks for using BeeKey.
Actually you don't need to know anything about Linux to use and modify Beekey, as everything is accessible from the Atari side.
All the important files are stored into h:/.system/ and can be modified when you are under Mint.
First thing to do is making a copy of h:/.system/config and h:/.system/startemu.sh with kkcommander : all copy, move or delete within h:/.system MUST be done with kkcommander. Don't do it from the desktop or it will freeze your system (This is not a bug, this is a feature ;-)
Copy TOS 4.04 image into h:/.system/tos. Use a USB stick formatted in Fat32 to do the transfer, or a network share if you have one.
Copy a blank ide disk image in h:/.system/partitions
Copy a floppy disk image with HDdriver into h:/applications/floppy
Edit h:/.system/config to boot TOS 4.04 image instead of emutos, and use the ide disk image.
Edit h:/.system/startemu.sh to run Aranym in none JIT mode ( Aranym -c config ). You may also have to edit the script regarding shutdown and reboot as the file names used to control this script will be written in Capital letters under TOS
Reboot Aranym with the floppy image of HDdriver mounted and format the ide disk image to your taste.
You will have a basic TOS 4.04 setup.

Now, you must be aware that Aranym full potential is achieved only with emutos and Mint.
A TOS 4.04 setup will be 10 to 15 times slower : JIT doesn't work properly with TOS 4.04
Disk access with IDE emulation is also much much slower than SCSI Partitions mode used under emutos.
You will need to install metados and a driver to use host fs partitions, and all files in h:/ will be truncated to 8 .3
Network is not supported.
Video in videl mode can be of any size (using Videl Inside) in 256 colors, but only up 800x608 in TC, but you can also use FVDI
All the scripting used under mint for host configuration and printing won't work out of the box, and I don't know how the shutdown application written for Mint will behave (don't worry I can help) : so preconfigure everything under Mint before doing this change, and backup Aranym config file and startemu.sh should you want to come back to the original config.
Now, being said that, you will end with an equivalent of a Milan on steroid (faster than a CT60), very compatible and able to run Magic, Calamus, Photoline and many other old soft.
This is just a quick summary of what to do to convert Beekey , guessing that you already know Aranym. If you don't, we will have to enter into a more detailed step by step. Good luck.

Ps : I have such a disk image ready but I can't distribute it because of HDdriver. I don't remember but may be Cecile can do the job.
Philippe

Firebee, Falcon, STE, Aranym Box, Hatari Pi Box.
My music http://www.philippeworld.net/
My photography http://phil-67.deviantart.com/
EasyAraMint, BeeKey and BeePi https://sites.google.com/site/emaappsarch/home

mikro
Atari God
Atari God

Postby mikro » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:30 am

There's plethora of "make your own linux distro" tutorials and sites. Just google around a bit. I haven't done anything like that but nowadays it's literally matter of few clicks.

nagual
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby nagual » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:22 am

@Philippe - Faucon2001

Thank you very, very much for detailed instructions, I'm going to work now:-))))
But, if I stuck somewhere, I send You a PM if is OK with you :-)

@mikro
I already did :-)
But, amount of informations is enormous and I just need time to read it, learn it, try it and make it :-)

In the meantime, Phillipe kindly wrote a "cookbook" so I can try making my own Linux/Aranym distro:-)

Social Media

Return to “Other emulators & tools”