Creating game disk images to run on Raspi

WinSTon, Nostalgia, MSA Converter, FloImg, Makedisk and all the others.

Moderators: Mug UK, Moderator Team

ProzacZombie
Atarian
Atarian

Creating game disk images to run on Raspi

Postby ProzacZombie » Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:54 pm

Hi folks.
Total newbie on the site here and have been trawling through various threads but cannot find what I'm looking for.
Forgive me, cos I know this must have been asked before but is there a way of creating images of the original floppys I own so I can play the games on through RetroPie or STEEM.
I know there are various legal issues to contend with but I have zero experience on this.
**background*** I was having a clearout of the loft and uncovered my old Atari collection nicely boxed and bagged for safety. I have an STE 1040 and a whole heap of games and want to play them all again but don't really have the room to set up the STE infront of my TV.
I also have a MINT Falcon 030 and wondered if there is a stable emulator for that too?
Cheerso!

Eero Tamminen
Atari God
Atari God

Re: Creating game disk images to run on Raspi

Postby Eero Tamminen » Sat Nov 19, 2016 12:11 am

ProzacZombie wrote:is there a way of creating images of the original floppys I own so I can play the games on through RetroPie or STEEM.

For protected disks you need special HW. For those it's easiest just to use images that somebody else has created of the games you're interested (at least that's what I did for the games I own :)).

For most shareware & freeware, it's just enough to copy the files to computer where you're running the emulator.

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby AtariZoll » Sat Nov 19, 2016 7:30 am

As said, copy protection is the problem, and you may try it with http://pasti.fxatari.com/
but that's lot of work and not simple. Plus, it may happen that your disks are not anymore in good shape. Not to mention that need Atari for that.
For not copy protected (but commercial SW is protected in 98% cases): http://atari.8bitchip.info/floimgd.php
So, better just look online for it.
Simple copying of files to hard drive even in case of not copy protected SW is usually not enough. Atari SW is just not intended to run from mass storage in most cases.
But there is plenty of adapted to: http://atari.8bitchip.info/fromhd.php

For Falcon there is Hatari emulator, regularly updated. You can even contribute in making it better :angel:
Famous Schrodinger's cat hypothetical experiment says that cat is dead or alive until we open box and see condition of poor animal, which deserved better logic. Cat is always in some certain state - regardless from is observer able or not to see what the state is.

ijor
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby ijor » Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:17 am

Eero Tamminen wrote:For protected disks you need special HW. For those it's easiest just to use images that somebody else has created ...

No special hardware is needed. You can create STX images on a plain ST. That's what the Pasti imaging tool is all about.

But yes, it's usually easier just to grab images readily available online.

tcat
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby tcat » Sat Nov 19, 2016 5:14 pm

Hi,

Trying to help, as I am not regular in this forum, so my advice might not be that relevant.
You mention Raspi = you mean Raspberry PI?

If so, you can duplicate disk on RPI directly, if you had attached floppy, and produce so called ST image. You need to ensure you have right number of sectors/cylinders on floppy.

Code: Select all

$ dd if=/dev/fd0 of=[output_image_name].st bs=1024 conv=sync ; sync

Further reading on floppy sectors/cylinders you may find uselful:
http://www.atari-wiki.com/?title=Linux_Disk_Commands

Example:

Sides: 2 Sectors: 9 Tracks: 80
Sector = 512 bytes
2*512*9*80 = 720K standard ST format

Providing you also have HATARI installed on RPI, you may load ST image right there.

To clone image back onto a backup floppy:

$ dd if=[input_image_name].st of=/dev/fd0 bs=1024 conv=sync ; sync

My understanding so far of PASTI(STX) are preseravation format keeping original game with protection (Hi Fidelity copy), but may not run on real H/W, and will not currently run on HATARI.

Hope this helps.
Tom

Eero Tamminen
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Eero Tamminen » Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:29 pm

tcat wrote:My understanding so far of PASTI(STX) are preseravation format keeping original game with protection (Hi Fidelity copy), but may not run on real H/W, and will not currently run on HATARI.

Hatari has supported STX images since v1.8 which was released over 2 years ago.

(Latest Hatari version is 2.0.)

Social Media

Return to “Other emulators & tools”