FloImg and JayMSA help please.

WinSTon, Nostalgia, MSA Converter, FloImg, Makedisk and all the others.

Moderators: Mug UK, Moderator Team

corgi74
Atarian
Atarian

FloImg and JayMSA help please.

Postby corgi74 » Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:10 am

Hi

Recently got a ST and have been downloading and writing disks using an external Teac based USB drive and Omniflop. Obviously I have had issues with 800kb and 360kb disks using this method and have been looking for help online but can't find definitive answers. Please can somebody help?

1 - If I have a PC with an internal floppy can I write 800kb and 360kb disks with FloImg just by dragging and dropping with no other software on the PC or ST?

2 - If I use the USB drive I know I can create MSA files and expand them on the ST but I can't find a tutorial or clear instruction how to do this with JayMSA or similar software. Is there a moron proof step by step guide anywhere please?

Thanks in advance for all your help. I've used the search function to find answers but haven't been able to so apologies if these questions have been answered previously.
Thanks

spiny
Disk Imager Supreme
Disk Imager Supreme

Re: FloImg and JayMSA help please.

Postby spiny » Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:45 am

quick answers:

1: yes, but you also need to install the free floppy driver, linked on the FloIMG site (fdrawcmd). Then just load the disk images into FloIMG and write to disk :)

2: yes, but slightly more complicated. I don't have a guide handy, but in essence you need to:

a: run an emulator on the pc
b: setup a virtual hard drive
c: 'load' the floppy image
d: use MSA to 'image' the floppy into two smaller files
e: copy the files to blank floppies
f: use MSA on your real ST to 're join' the smaller parts into one full size floppy

so an old pc (or laptop with floppy drive) is probably easiest, I use an older PC but also have a Kryoflux external USB drive which can read/write pretty much anything, but its more expensive than an old PC :)

corgi74
Atarian
Atarian

Postby corgi74 » Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:48 am

That's brilliant thank you.
I have an old XP machine with a floppy in the shed so I'll get it out and use that.
So as long as I install the correct drivers I can write 800kb and 360kd disks?
Thanks again mate.

spiny
Disk Imager Supreme
Disk Imager Supreme

Postby spiny » Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:54 am

yep, with FloIMG and the driver, you can write pretty much anything :)

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby AtariZoll » Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:37 am

There is no drag & drop support in FloImg - you need to use it's fileselector for image files. Of course will need fdrawcmd driver too.

Considering transfer of 800K floppy images via USB drives, so on max 720 KB floppies, it may be pretty frustrating and unreliable. Especially in case of menu disks, which contain packed files, so you can not benefit from MSA packer. Then splitting is only way.

If your Atari has 2 MB or more RAM there is other solution than JayMSA, but still need split of image files - will explain by request.

Old PC will be best solution - just need to solve file transfer to it from new PC. Then you may write 800K and 400K floppies - ah, and even 360 K :D
Famous Schrodinger's cat hypothetical experiment says that cat is dead or alive until we open box and see condition of poor animal, which deserved better logic. Cat is always in some certain state - regardless from is observer able or not to see what the state is.

corgi74
Atarian
Atarian

Postby corgi74 » Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:33 pm

Thank for the reply. I've sent you a message. My ST has 4mb.

Social Media

Return to “Other emulators & tools”