Nostalgia MacOSX emulator

WinSTon, Nostalgia, MSA Converter, FloImg, Makedisk and all the others.

Moderators: Mug UK, Moderator Team

oesii
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Nostalgia MacOSX emulator

Postby oesii » Mon Mar 01, 2004 8:30 pm

Does anyone here use Macs for ST emulation? I just noticed that Nostalgia was recently updated to version 1.4. Runs great on my G4 eMac:

http://users.skynet.be/sky39147/

Looks like there's a PC/Windows bias around here because there's no good place to post this message ;)

Silver Surfer
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Postby Silver Surfer » Mon Mar 01, 2004 8:35 pm

I have seen some people around here using Macs. I would also very much like to own a G5.... but the price just don't seem right for me at the moment. Maybe some day. :)

oesii
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby oesii » Tue Mar 02, 2004 12:09 am

Someday you'll be happy :) I use a G4 800mhz eMac at work and I've always been happy with all my Macs, OSX is fun to use compared to Windows.

The basic eMac costs only $800 US:

http://www.apple.com/emac/

With the strong Euro that's about $50E right? :P

Back on topic, Macs have some great emulators, nothing as great as Steem for the ST but Nostalgia keeps getting better and almost every other system is well done.

sodas
Atari User
Atari User

Postby sodas » Tue Mar 02, 2004 7:47 am

Sure, I am using a mac too.

It is a killer machine for retro emulating.

I currently emulate the following computers on my G4 powerbook:

Atari ST
Atari Falcon
Amiga 500
Amiga 1200
Apple II
Apple IIGS
Commodore 64
ZX Spectrum
DOS PC
WINDOWS 95 PC
Mac OS 7
Mac OS 8
Mac OS 9

For the Atari ST i use NoSTalgia (now up to version 1.4) - great app - I've been using it since version 0.65b

But I also emulate the ST with PowerST, Hatari and Aranym ;v))

oesii
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby oesii » Tue Mar 02, 2004 10:49 am

sodas wrote:For the Atari ST i use NoSTalgia (now up to version 1.4) - great app - I've been using it since version 0.65b

But I also emulate the ST with PowerST, Hatari and Aranym ;v))

Nice, are you using OS X? I'm still on 10.2.8 because my work hasn't bought Panther for me yet :)

Hatari looks promising but I can never get it to run well on my systems, G3 Powerbook or G4 eMac. Have you had good experiences with Hatari or Aranym?

sodas
Atari User
Atari User

Postby sodas » Tue Mar 02, 2004 10:58 am

Yep OSX it is (also 10.2.8 like yourself).

Well HATARI and ARANYM ist just for the fun of it - I run games on NoSTalgia - but I have the other systems up and running.

I don't have any use for HATARI really as my favourite is NoSTalgia.

Aranym is running with Tos 4.04 (the Falcon 030 Tos), and I am currently experimenting and trying to get some of the Falcon specific games to run (ISHAR, Transarctica etc. in 256-colour-versions). - Haven't had any luck yet though - I get a Tos Error #35 when I try to run Falcon Games under Aranym - I haven't given up yet though...

Believe it or not, the hardest emulator to set up till date has really been emulating old Macintosh Games (OS 7). The emulator is called BasilixII and I have it running now completely smooth!!

Sincerely
Sodas

thothy
Hatari Developer
Hatari Developer

Postby thothy » Wed Mar 03, 2004 10:18 am

oesii wrote:Hatari looks promising but I can never get it to run well on my systems, G3 Powerbook or G4 eMac. Have you had good experiences with Hatari or Aranym?

Hi there! What's exactly your problem with Hatari? Does it not start at all or does it run instable or do you have problems with the configuration?

oesii
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby oesii » Wed Mar 03, 2004 12:49 pm

thothy wrote:
oesii wrote:Hatari looks promising but I can never get it to run well on my systems, G3 Powerbook or G4 eMac. Have you had good experiences with Hatari or Aranym?

Hi there! What's exactly your problem with Hatari? Does it not start at all or does it run instable or do you have problems with the configuration?

I will give you a full report in a few hours, I'm on my home laptop right now but I'll soon be on my G4 which has Hatari on it. The first few versions I tried a year ago didn't start and were unstable.

The latest version starts but I don't remember being able to load any programs or games on it, so it must have been a problem setting up the configuration. Again, I'll follow soon with some details and examples.

I don't always have time to test out all the emulators so if I can't get them running a few times I move on, probably not giving them all a fair chance :)

oesii
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby oesii » Wed Mar 03, 2004 7:46 pm

Ok, I've tested out Hatari .45 on my G4 800mhz eMac with 640mb Ram.

I have TOS 1.2 and 2.06, both work and boot up to the desktop. I can attach disks and get them to initially boot but the display becomes distorted fairly quickly, I can hear the music of the game or menu disk but the graphics are very unusable. I'll attach a screen shot of Hatari trying to load Medway Boy's disk #43, trying to play Stunt Car Racer :)

I changed the screen settings in the preferences but nothing has worked for me. Some games seem to load in a very tiny sub-box about 1/20 of the screen size in the corner of the emultor but then they also become messed up.

So that's been my experiences with Hatari, the GEM screen looks promising and the configuration menus are much nicer now but I can't get anything to load up properly.
Last edited by oesii on Fri Mar 05, 2004 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thothy
Hatari Developer
Hatari Developer

Postby thothy » Thu Mar 04, 2004 2:31 pm

oesii wrote:Ok, I've tested out Hatari .45 on my G4 800mhz eMac with 640mb Ram.

Thanks for your bug report. Sounds really strange, I never had these problems --> I don't have a clue what's going wrong there. The only thing I can imagine that there's something wrong with the enhanced VDI extended screen emulation: Can you please check if you have accidentially enabled the "Use extended resolution" setting in the TOS/GEM setup dialog? It should be disabled for playing games...

Oh, and which version of Mac OS X are you using? And which version of the SDL library do you have installed?

oesii
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby oesii » Thu Mar 04, 2004 6:43 pm

thothy wrote:Can you please check if you have accidentially enabled the "Use extended resolution" setting in the TOS/GEM setup dialog? It should be disabled for playing games...

So I have another emulator to use and play around with now :)

That was exactly the problem, I didn't know to look at the TOS setup menu for this option. I read the manual and it says something about games not working with different resolutions but it doesn't warn about the extended resolution check box. Now I can get the games to run in a small desktop window, is there a way to make the window bigger?

I'm running OS X 10.2.8 and I'm not sure how to check the SDL version I have, I know I downloaded it or an update last October 2003 when I got the latest Hatari.

Thanks for your help!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

thothy
Hatari Developer
Hatari Developer

Postby thothy » Fri Mar 05, 2004 10:53 am

oesii wrote:That was exactly the problem, I didn't know to look at the TOS setup menu for this option. I read the manual and it says something about games not working with different resolutions but it doesn't warn about the extended resolution check box. Now I can get the games to run in a small desktop window, is there a way to make the window bigger?

Great to hear that it is working now. You're right, it isn't very intuitive that the extended resolutions have to be configured from the "TOS/GEM" setup dialog, I'll better move it to the "Screen" setup dialog, too.

And you can enlarge the small window by switching the "ST-Low mode" in the "Screen" setup dialog from "Normal" to "Zoomed".

oesii
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby oesii » Fri Mar 05, 2004 1:45 pm

Of course it all makes sense now ;)

I got Hatari working on my G3 400mhz Powerbook last night and it ran better than I expected. Looking forward to my next business trip now that I have AtariMacOSX for 800 emulation and Hatari for the ST :)

voodoo
Atariator
Atariator

Postby voodoo » Sun Mar 21, 2004 3:22 pm

I use both Hatari and NoSTalgia on my Macintosh.

I'm thrilled that we have two functioning (more or less) ST emulators for the Mac! Between the two of them they are pretty complete.

I'd like to have something as cool as Steem on the Mac - at least as solid. That is one solid engine. Windows users are lucky to have such a good emulator.

There is no fullscreen mode on NoSTalgia or Hatari for instance and they are rather plagued with minor sound, graphic and disk loader bugs. :(

Still I appreciate the effort (thoth that is a nod in your direction - I wish I could help devolopment in any way.. )

cheers
voodoo

thothy
Hatari Developer
Hatari Developer

Postby thothy » Tue Mar 23, 2004 10:20 am

voodoo wrote:There is no fullscreen mode on NoSTalgia or Hatari for instance and they are rather plagued with minor sound, graphic and disk loader bugs. :(

Still I appreciate the effort (thoth that is a nod in your direction - I wish I could help devolopment in any way.. )

Hi!

Well, there's a full screen mode in Hatari on Mac OS X (activated by pressing F11), however, it seems to be broken with recent SDL versions and I didn't yet have the time and motivation to fix it :-(

And yes, I know that there are many bugs left in the emulator, but building a 100% cycle accurate ST emulator is a real pain - you have to mess around with a lot of undocumented behaviour of the hardware... - I have to take my hat of to the authors of STeem, they really did a great job with their emulator!

So any useful help is welcome - Hatari is an open source project, so feel free to do some debugging ;-)

voodoo
Atariator
Atariator

Postby voodoo » Tue Mar 23, 2004 11:35 am

I'd be glad to help with anything I can in the Hatari development. I don't know any programming though :(

What is debugging?

PS. have you talked to the developer of NoSTalgia? He's come very far with his emulator..

cheers

voodoo

oesii
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby oesii » Tue Mar 23, 2004 12:27 pm

I've been using Hatari quite a bit the last couple of weeks since my installation was cleaned up, very easy to use once you know where everything is and I've been happy with its performance :)

The non-OS X menus are even starting to grow on me ;)

thothy
Hatari Developer
Hatari Developer

Postby thothy » Wed Mar 24, 2004 9:30 am

voodoo wrote:I'd be glad to help with anything I can in the Hatari development. I don't know any programming though :(

What is debugging?

PS. have you talked to the developer of NoSTalgia? He's come very far with his emulator..

Debugging means to remove/fix the "bugs" (errors) in a program.
If you don't know any programming, there's unfortunately not much you can do to help me :-( The only thing you could do is to create a list with software that doesn't work yet with Hatari though it should be working there (i.e. it is working on a real ST), so that I know which programs don't run yet.

PS: Yes, I have had contact with the developer of NoSTalgia, he helped me to fix some bugs in Hatari and I helped him to fix one or two bugs in NoSTalgia...

voodoo
Atariator
Atariator

Postby voodoo » Wed Mar 24, 2004 11:03 am

Great stuff!

Since I don't know the first step of programming (I'm a biologist) I'll playtest ST games on Hatari. It is the least I can do.

Good to see that you two developers aren't completely missing each other. That would have been a shame! There aren't that many ST emulator developers for the Macintosh!

;)

oesii
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby oesii » Wed Mar 24, 2004 12:52 pm

If Nostalgia and Hatari ever got together and maybe got some help from Mr. Emulation, Richard Bannister for a OSX polishing (http://www.bannister.org/software/emu.htm) I think the resulting emulator would blow Steem out of the water :lol:

simonsunnyboy

Postby simonsunnyboy » Wed Mar 24, 2004 5:27 pm

voodoo wrote:Great stuff!

Since I don't know the first step of programming (I'm a biologist) I'll playtest ST games on Hatari. It is the least I can do.

Good to see that you two developers aren't completely missing each other. That would have been a shame! There aren't that many ST emulator developers for the Macintosh!

;)

Could you mail me your results? I'm maintaining the Hatari manual with a very incomplete list at the end.

Uhoh..just remembering that I need to document the new features ;)
Simon Sunnyboy/Paradize - http://paradize.atari.org/ - STOT: http://www.npoi.de/stot/

Stay cool, stay Atari!

1x2600jr, 1x1040STFm, 1x1040STE 4MB+TOS2.06+SatanDisk, 1xF030 14MB+FPU+NetUS-Bee

Jabber: simonsunnyboy@atari-jabber.org

voodoo
Atariator
Atariator

Postby voodoo » Wed Mar 24, 2004 11:57 pm

Sure thing simonsunnyboy. I'll use the mail address you provide here in the forum.

punkrulesok
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby punkrulesok » Sun Jun 13, 2004 10:58 am

I just noticed that NoSTalgia can fake a screen res of 640x400x16 8O thats really nice.
Is there any plans in the future to have a feature in STEem to allow high res modes with 16cols?

simonsunnyboy

Postby simonsunnyboy » Sun Jun 13, 2004 11:33 am

At least STEEM under Win already has those extended res. I remember having a 640x480x16cols screen with STEEM.
Simon Sunnyboy/Paradize - http://paradize.atari.org/ - STOT: http://www.npoi.de/stot/

Stay cool, stay Atari!

1x2600jr, 1x1040STFm, 1x1040STE 4MB+TOS2.06+SatanDisk, 1xF030 14MB+FPU+NetUS-Bee

Jabber: simonsunnyboy@atari-jabber.org

punkrulesok
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby punkrulesok » Mon Jun 14, 2004 5:13 pm

simonsunnyboy wrote:At least STEEM under Win already has those extended res. I remember having a 640x480x16cols screen with STEEM.

Does it?
Am I missing out on a rather large feature in STEem here, or are you thinking of somthing else?

I know STEem can get extended resolutions, in upto 4 colours, but, AFIAK, it doesnt support higher resolutions in more than 4 colours.

Social Media

Return to “Other emulators & tools”