Spectre GCR

WinSTon, Nostalgia, MSA Converter, FloImg, Makedisk and all the others.

Moderators: Mug UK, Moderator Team

jd
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Spectre GCR

Postby jd » Fri May 23, 2008 2:28 pm

Just got a Spectre GCR (with ROMs) just one problem - no manual :(

The was a thread here that pointed to the manual - http://www.geocities.com/clu-da-bard/Spectregcr.html - but it only contains a few pages.

Does anyone have a manual i could buy off them, if not maybe a scanned copy?

Failing that any hints, tips, etc. i.e. best Apple system to use with it. A quick start guide maybe..........

Any help whatsoever would be greatly appreciated.

J

jd
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: Spectre GCR

Postby jd » Sun May 25, 2008 4:58 pm

Any Spectre users know how to get the Apple system 6 floppy images off their website (using a PC) and boot on a ST with Spectre GCR??

I have formatted a MAC partition but I am unable to get the apple system on it.

As i don't have a mac I am in one of those catch 22 situations.......

must be an easy way of doing it :?:

Mark_G
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Mark_G » Sun May 25, 2008 5:40 pm

Hello,

I got also a lot of trouble to install OS 6. (last OS possible to install : OS6.0.8
I got an ez-disk (Syquest EZ 135) from someone with the os installed.

If you have the same drive, I can clone the disk.

You can boot with that disk as master, and copy everything to your HD.
Finally you can boot from the HD.

With spectre GCR it is also possible to read Mac disk, but I got a lot of trouble with it.

In attachement file with readme and latest spectre soft.

Mark
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jd
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby jd » Mon May 26, 2008 12:21 pm

I've got an ez-135 but it's connected to my Falcon, Spectre won't work on the Falcon (no GCR obviously) but spectre.prg bombs when loading even using Backward III and high res

Yeh the software attached is the same from the link on the first post, thanks anyway. Do you have any transfer utils other than on that website?

Got no SCSI adapter for the ST so unable to connect the EZ-135 to my ST.

The tranverter proggie can't transfer more than 8.3 characters or folders so unable to create system disk that way.

Might need a copy of the physical system 6.x disks from somewhere created on a Mac. :(

jd
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby jd » Thu May 29, 2008 2:29 pm

Looks like I can only get round it with a Mac 800K boot disk :(

anyways

A question to all spectre users, does anyone use it very often and if so what for?

Are all spectre users now using Macs or did you go to the dark side - windoze

A lengthy thread is now needed to see why and what path you took after your Atari......................

jd
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby jd » Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:37 pm

Looks like i'm the only user of Spectre anymore (apart from KarlM) I would just like to let everyone know after many hours of slaving over my poor ST I finally have a working Mac environment!!! :D :D :D All without a manual!!

The biggest problem I had is getting app/system/disk images from the net via a PC onto the ST. Hours and alot of hair pulling later I finally have it sorted.

I have even created new system (different version to current OS) disks - Net > PC > ST > Mac emul > disk

the guys at 68K Mac Liberation forum have nudged me in the right direction regarding the above as well.

So if anyone has any problems or is setting up a Spectre (MAC) environment on their ST please feel free to ask me as i could save you hours of pain.

:cheers:

jd
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby jd » Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:50 pm

People will probably ask why I didn't just buy an old Mac?

If can be done on an ST then I have an old MAC!

Ever since the days of Aladin/Mac Bongo (Spectres younger brother) I used to dream (when I was a kid!!) of having a Mac on my ST, I didn't want a physical Mac as my PC was an ST running pc-ditto so i wanted one computer 3 different OS's. At school the Mac was the dream computer all the kids huddled around and as I knew all my PC knowledge through pc-ditto I wanted the same for the Mac.

So only now in my 30s, many years later when i finally have some spare time (and the space) did my dream come true.

Morale of the silly story - Dreams do come true. Que happy music, sunset fading, roll credits...........

:angel:

Mark_G
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Mark_G » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:04 pm

Hello,

I'm glad that you could install a working spectre environment.

I've also a spectre on my megaste. And I'm very interested in it. I installed OS 6.

I tried to install it on my TT030, but I couldn't access the internal drive, and I couldn't use the floppy drive.
After I lot of browsing, I found that the internal HD from the TT is not recognized by GCR.
The TT has HD floppy's, and I think that's the GCR don't like HD floppy's. It works sometimes with DD floppy's.
I found out that when I put the floppy's in write protect, I never could read them under mac environment.
I always need to remove the write-protection.

Now the tt is equipped with a Netusbee, so on that machine; GCR is removed.
I don't think its possible to use an Y-cable for the netusbee on one side, and the GCR on the other side.
Further, I don't want to blow-up the machines.

I've Some questions :

- Can you tell me what host computer you are using ?
- How are your floppy drives connected to the GCR ?
- What applications are you using on the AppleST :wink: ?
- For transfer files from the ST to the Apple environment, do you use floppy's or can you copy from one to another partition ?

I get always problems with reading apple disks. Sometimes it works, sometimes it fails.

Seems that the only spectre website has disappeared.
http://www.geocities.com/clu-da-bard/spectreatari.html

BTW, I've also an 386sx expansion board in the same machine. So, 3 operation systems on one.
These are : TOS+ warp9, MSDOS (for wp51)+ win3.11 (rather useless) , and MacOS6

Mark

jd
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby jd » Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:01 pm

Mark_G wrote:I've Some questions :

- Can you tell me what host computer you are using ?
- How are your floppy drives connected to the GCR ?
- What applications are you using on the AppleST :wink: ?
- For transfer files from the ST to the Apple environment, do you use floppy's or can you copy from one to another partition ?

-Mega ST4 the more memory the bigger the file you can use with the transverter proggie as it will only load it all in one go :( I had a Mega 1ST but was too limited, the Spectre literature i found does recommend 2Meg)
-Back of the GCR via a cable goes to the Floppy connector on the ST (gives it direct access to the internal drive) if you also have an external floppy drive this will connect to a second port on the back of the GCR.
-not alot, mostly PD/free stuff but i found pagemaker and some games that work pretty well.
-now that is a pain. I nearly all of the stuff from various websites, downloaded to my windoze PC then got stuffit (PC) to split the file into the resource and data forks (2 seperate files) then transferred to ST and from the STHD ran the transverter proggie. Alot of the time the transverter process failed i then had to source the mac file/application from a different source.

Oh and i managed to get another Spectre GCR off ebay with manual!!

jd
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby jd » Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:07 pm

Oh and reading Mac disks it depends what Mac they were made on.

I found a few disks (from school days) some where formatted on the MAC but with a PC combatibilty proggie so could be read on a standard ST/PC. Other disks where formatted in GCR format and could only be read when the cable was attached between the Spectre and floppy connector of the ST.

It's been a while since i switched it on in anger (due to moving house) but i must get it all cabled up again and see that smilie apple face running on my ST again!!

:D

Mark_G
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Mark_G » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:29 am

I've a problems with reading mac disks formatted on a mac.

Sometimes it fails, sometimes it passes.
No disks worked on a TT.

On the GCR, there are two connectors for a connection to a floppy station.
(One for the connection to the Floppy drive of the computer, the other for an external drive).

Is there a special sequence, which connector needs to be cabled to the comp., and which connector to an external floppy drive.
Or are the interchangeable ?

What transverter program do you use, for transferring the files from the partition to AppleST partition ?

Mark

jd
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby jd » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:56 pm

Mark_G wrote:
Is there a special sequence, which connector needs to be cabled to the comp., and which connector to an external floppy drive.
Or are the interchangeable ?

What transverter program do you use, for transferring the files from the partition to AppleST partition ?

Mark

There were no instructions as to which Spectre GCR port to connect to the internal floppy but i used the GCR port nearest to the cartridge port. Some disks worked some didn't but i think it also depends on the actual make of drive you have. My Mega4 was more compatible than my Mega1 one was a sony i think and the other Mitsumi?? Could also be age and use of the drives/disk. I tried to get all stuff off FTP/web sites and transfer via the method i previously posted. I got the system disks from the US and the branded disks worked fine in both ST's.

The transverter program has many revisions but i think i used the version from the now defunct http://www.geocities.com/clu-da-bard/spectre.html

which was more reliable than the one that came with the GCR itself.

I will try and find the new version when i have my ST's fired up again (hopefully it all works as i left it!!).

AtariSociety
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby AtariSociety » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:25 pm

Hi, new member here. I owned a Atari 800 in the early 80s, then an Atari Mega 2 ST in early 90s, then moved on to Mac mid 90s. Been a Machead ever since. But....... I am finding my way back to Atari and plan on buying a TT030. I owned a Spectre GCR on my Mega 2 ST and enjoyed that. So, when I get my TT030, I plan on getting a Spectre Again.

So, anyone here have an extra one they are interested in selling? Name your price. Send me a PM or better yet, an email to TJ@macsociety.com

I want to buy a Spectre now in anticipation of getting back into my Atari life. Bring fun back to computing.

Thanks

tj

Mark_G
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Mark_G » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:43 am

Hello,

I don't sell mine, but you can check this site:
http://www.digitaldinos.com/DigitalDinos/Pages/ForSale/Atari/docAtari.htm

They are still selling a spectre GCR.

If you want to use the spectre with a TT030, you need to take the following into account :

Things I invested with my spectre:
- Spectre don't work with the TT030 internal HD.
- Spectre don't recognize the scsi bus.
- For use of a Hard disk, you need to use the ACSI bus with a device like 'the Link'.
- The internal HD diskdrive don't work together with spectre.
- On my MSTe, even the internal DD diskdrive is very unreliable.

Things I found on the www:
- The use of an external Atari drive SF314 will give good results, for accessing 800K mac diskettes.
Unfortunately, I don't have such a drive, so I can't test it.

I connected a 135 mb ez-drive with "The link" to my TT, equipped with a large B/W monitor.
Mac OS 6 is very fast, and looks very professional on it. 8)

I hope the site with the spectre info is soon online again. :wink:

Mark

AtariSociety
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby AtariSociety » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:21 pm

Thanks for the link.

The only one I see they have is untested and not sure what the "shorted" means so not sure I would want to pursue that one. Prefer buying one that is complete also if possible. Looks their theirs has the wrong manual.

Anyway, thanks for all the tips. I am sure this will help greatly!

tj

Mark_G wrote:Hello,

I don't sell mine, but you can check this site:
http://www.digitaldinos.com/DigitalDinos/Pages/ForSale/Atari/docAtari.htm

They are still selling a spectre GCR.

If you want to use the spectre with a TT030, you need to take the following into account :

Things I invested with my spectre:
- Spectre don't work with the TT030 internal HD.
- Spectre don't recognize the scsi bus.
- For use of a Hard disk, you need to use the ACSI bus with a device like 'the Link'.
- The internal HD diskdrive don't work together with spectre.
- On my MSTe, even the internal DD diskdrive is very unreliable.

Things I found on the www:
- The use of an external Atari drive SF314 will give good results, for accessing 800K mac diskettes.
Unfortunately, I don't have such a drive, so I can't test it.

I connected a 135 mb ez-drive with "The link" to my TT, equipped with a large B/W monitor.
Mac OS 6 is very fast, and looks very professional on it. 8)

I hope the site with the spectre info is soon online again. :wink:

Mark

bjjones37
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby bjjones37 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:58 pm

jd wrote:Just got a Spectre GCR (with ROMs) just one problem - no manual :(

The was a thread here that pointed to the manual - http://www.geocities.com/clu-da-bard/Spectregcr.html - but it only contains a few pages.

Failing that any hints, tips, etc. i.e. best Apple system to use with it. A quick start guide maybe..........

J

ftp://ftp.pigwa.net/upload/Spectre-GCR-Manual.zip

Have Fun,
BJ
Courtesy is not an option.

AtariSociety
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby AtariSociety » Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:03 am

bjjones37 wrote:

J

Have Fun,
BJ

This link does not work for me. Anyone else successful downloading this file?

tj

bjjones37
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby bjjones37 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:53 am

Apparently the ftp site owner will need to modify the public permissions of the file before it can be downloaded. Try Marcer's FTP site instead for the same filename in the Uploads directory. His site is amazing!

"Marcer wrote:My FTP is back online but a new adress!

IP : Marcer.mine.nu
Port : 1698
Login: Demo
Pass: Demo

// Marcer"

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:01 pm

normally downloads are not allowed from the upload directory.... does this make sense? 8)
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63+CTPCI_ATI_RTL8139 14+512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff for sale - click here for list

bjjones37
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby bjjones37 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:05 pm

wongck wrote:normally downloads are not allowed from the upload directory.... does this make sense? 8)

It does, but I have been able to do so from the uploads directory of both of these ftp sites. Apparently at Pigwa it was not a default and he had at one point manually enabled permissions on the files. On Marcer's download permissions appear to be enabled by default in that directory.

AtariSociety
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby AtariSociety » Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:53 am

Anyone know if the Spectre GCR can work with a Mega 2 ST running the 19" Moniterm Monitor? I know the Spectre supposed to work with a mono monitor but not sure it can handle a moniterm 19" with the viking card that goes in a Mega ST. tj

Mark_G
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Mark_G » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:04 am

Didn't try with the viking card, but it works very well with the 19" b/w monitor on a TT.

Mark.

AtariSociety
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby AtariSociety » Mon May 10, 2010 10:51 pm

So, I have purchased so far a Spectre GCR cartridge and also came across the manual, 3.0 supplement manual, and even the cool original Spectre GCR box it all came in. But.... I am lacking the 3.0 software. I downloaded the 3.0 software from links I found but not sure how to make an Atari floppy from the image I got. I own Macs so not sure how and what I need to do this.

Anyone know how to make the Spectre3.ZIP I found on the net into a floppy the Atari Mega 2 can handle?

If not, see my ad here for me wanting to buy the original Spectre software if someone has an extra they can spare.

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=19208

I happen to have and will place an ad soon for a Spectre Manual, original box, and 3.0 supplement manual. I prefer to find the 3.0 software first if someone wants to do any trades.

Thanks

tj

jd
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby jd » Tue May 11, 2010 11:03 am

bjjones37 wrote:

J

Have Fun,
BJ

I managed to buy another GCR with manual, but many thanks hopefully this will help others that end up like i did.

this has to be the best manual i have read for anything, quite entertaining.

jd
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby jd » Tue May 11, 2010 11:06 am

macsociety wrote:Anyone know how to make the Spectre3.ZIP I found on the net into a floppy the Atari Mega 2 can handle?

tj

1. Unzip files on PeeCee.
2. Format floppy disk on ST (most important)
3. Copy unziped files on PeeCee to this floppy.
4. Run on ST.

Social Media

Return to “Other emulators & tools”