getting online with MagicPC

WinSTon, Nostalgia, MSA Converter, FloImg, Makedisk and all the others.

Moderators: Mug UK, Moderator Team

jtdon99
Atariator
Atariator

getting online with MagicPC

Postby jtdon99 » Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:52 pm

After many years collecting dust I reinstalled magicpc on my pc.
Tried highwire with incat2 and winovl and the draconis magicpc stuff and
still no connection. Highwire says "no route to host" and Adamas wants to
dial out (I have a adsl connection). Any help would be appreciated. I am
dumb when it comes to internet connections so I need detailed help.
Thanks, Jim

Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mug UK » Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:27 pm

Anyone help this new member? MagicPC is not something I've ever seen (except for the crack intro posted a while back!) :)
My main site: http://www.mug-uk.co.uk - slowly digging up the bits from my past (and re-working a few): Atari ST, Sega 8-bit (game hacks) and NDS (Music ripping guide).

I develop a free Word (for Windows) add-in that's available for Word 2007 upwards. It's a fix-it toolbox that will allow power Word users to fix document errors. You can find it at: http://www.mikestoolbox.co.uk

[ProToS]

Postby [ProToS] » Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:30 pm

I use MpcSTiK

Code: Select all

MpcSTiK

A network bridge for STiK API network applications under MagicPC.

Status

After a long time in development, testing and everyday use, I've finally reached a point where I am comfortable releasing MPCSTiK for general use. The page you are reading now, ugly as it is, was created in QED, tested with HighWire and uploaded with GapFTP all running under MagicPC.

You can browse the web, chat in ICQ or IRC, download and upload files, all the basics are here.

the web page wasn't online anymore, archive.org do the job ;)

http://web.archive.org/web/200612060334 ... pcstik.htm

MpcSTiK1.6a attached
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SeeU
[ProToS]/Facebook

jtdon99
Atariator
Atariator

magicpc

Postby jtdon99 » Sat Jan 05, 2008 4:28 am

thanks, I've d/loaded and will try it out and post any results- Jim

Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mug UK » Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:09 am

If you get a working, the Wiki could do with a section on MagicPC if you feel up to it?
My main site: http://www.mug-uk.co.uk - slowly digging up the bits from my past (and re-working a few): Atari ST, Sega 8-bit (game hacks) and NDS (Music ripping guide).

I develop a free Word (for Windows) add-in that's available for Word 2007 upwards. It's a fix-it toolbox that will allow power Word users to fix document errors. You can find it at: http://www.mikestoolbox.co.uk

bj
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby bj » Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:46 pm

regards
BJ

MattM1121
Atarian
Atarian

Re: getting online with MagicPC

Postby MattM1121 » Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:08 pm

jtdon99 wrote:After many years collecting dust I reinstalled magicpc on my pc.
Tried highwire with incat2 and winovl and the draconis magicpc stuff and
still no connection. Highwire says "no route to host" and Adamas wants to
dial out (I have a adsl connection). Any help would be appreciated. I am
dumb when it comes to internet connections so I need detailed help.
Thanks, Jim

The way I did it was to set up my pc using RAS on XP. I had two serial ports using a null modem cable. I used a dialer that came with CAB to connect to the XP/RAS. Once I did that then I could surf. It was quick, dirty, and worked. I still have the MagicPC set up to do that. I can set up some instructions of anyone really wants them.

jtdon99
Atariator
Atariator

MagicPC

Postby jtdon99 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:39 pm

Still no luck, I've tried mpc_stik both with my current setup and on a fresh install of magicpc. On the windows side I went into the XP firewall and told it to allow magicpc.exe in the exceptions list. My firewall setup is set to off anyway. I have a wireless network running on xp home edition, my ip is fixed and I put that in the stik config file but still getting "no route to host" from highwire and other error msg. from cab & adamas about no connection. Thanks to everyone for their help, I am still doing something wrong or not doing something right.
Jim

lp
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby lp » Tue May 03, 2016 8:01 pm

Joakim Högberg found a bug in the MagiC-PC network bridge. The resolve() function always returns 0, so its impossible to detect a failed resolve. I have patched it so it works correctly. I bumped the version to v1.06b.

mpcstkfx.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ThorstenOtto
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby ThorstenOtto » Thu Sep 22, 2016 5:41 pm

Not directly related, but...

some time ago, i tried to reactivate my MagicPC, without luck. The symptom is that i only get a white screen after startup, and nothing happens. It does not crash, and i don't get any error messages. Are there any known incompabilities with newer hardware/windows versions? I currently use Windows7 running on an I7-core. I'm not entirely sure what i was using back in the old days when it worked, i think it was an Athlon K6-2 running Win2k. Is there any way to make it work again?

Faucon2001
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Faucon2001 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:20 pm

I doubt it will work with Win7 nor 10, MPC was developed during Win95 era.
On the other hand, it works well with Wine. I guess that a virtual machine will be necessary with Win7. Try virtual box with Win 95.
Philippe

Firebee, Falcon, STE, Aranym Box, Hatari Pi Box.
My music http://www.philippeworld.net/
My photography http://phil-67.deviantart.com/
EasyAraMint, BeeKey and BeePi https://sites.google.com/site/emaappsarch/home

jtdon99
Atariator
Atariator

Postby jtdon99 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:03 pm

ThorstenOtto wrote:Not directly related, but...

some time ago, i tried to reactivate my MagicPC, without luck. The symptom is that i only get a white screen after startup, and nothing happens. It does not crash, and i don't get any error messages. Are there any known incompabilities with newer hardware/windows versions? I currently use Windows7 running on an I7-core. I'm not entirely sure what i was using back in the old days when it worked, i think it was an Athlon K6-2 running Win2k. Is there any way to make it work again?

I ran MPC on Win7 , try right click on Magicpc.exe file and select properties then select tab for compatibility & set run in compatibility mode for Win95.

jtdon99
Atariator
Atariator

Postby jtdon99 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:03 pm

ThorstenOtto wrote:Not directly related, but...

I ran MPC on Win7 , try right click on Magicpc.exe file and select properties then select tab for compatibility & set run in compatibility mode for Win95.

Social Media

Return to “Other emulators & tools”