FlashFloppy Gotek firmware updated to v0.9.3a

WinSTon, Nostalgia, MSA Converter, FloImg, Makedisk and all the others.

Moderators: Mug UK, Moderator Team

kodak80
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

FlashFloppy Gotek firmware updated to v0.9.3a

Postby kodak80 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:42 am

Thought I would share this as this works well on a Gotek and supports HFEv3 disk format.

https://github.com/keirf/FlashFloppy/wiki/Downloads
Atari Falcon 030 | Atari 1040 STE | Atari 1040 STFM | Atari 1040 STF | Kryoflux & Supercard Pro Flux boards
Admin of Atari ST Review Magazine Archive: http://www.ataristreview.com

Jeff_HxC2001
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: FlashFloppy Gotek firmware updated to v0.9.3a

Postby Jeff_HxC2001 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:12 am

HFEv3 still in an experimental state and i don't have finished its specifications.
Anyway to keep you synced with the current format state and get the right implementation i recommend you to get the original and legit hxc firmware for gotek : http://hxc2001.com/store/index.html.
Same remark with the normal HFE files, the HxC tools (pc softwares, file selectors...)
There is no cooperation at all between this project and mine...

catmando
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby catmando » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:40 pm

kodak80 wrote:Thought I would share this as this works well on a Gotek and supports HFEv3 disk format.

https://github.com/keirf/FlashFloppy/wiki/Downloads

How are you finding flash floppy? Do you have HxC aswell?
Atari Falcon Tos 4.04 | 14mb | IDE CF 2GB
Atari STE Tos 1.62 | 4mb | HxC Slim SD 8GB
Atari STE Tos 1.62/2.06 | 4mb | Floppy A-B Mod | IDE SD 4GB
Atari STFM
Android Devices (Running Hataroid and SToid)

Atari Forum Wiki - Use it before asking

kodak80
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby kodak80 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:28 am

catmando wrote:

I have both. I have a Gotek with the latest HxC firmware loaded as well as a Gotek with the FlashFloppy firmware. I like browsing the disk image files and folders with an OLED display attached. I recommend using an OLED display and they are easy to fit and offer more information.

I have the FlashFloppy Gotek as I wanted to try updating a vanilla Gotek with FlashFloppy firmware to see how the Gotek would work.

Whilst I have the HxC Gotek, I have only used it with the autoboot (the AUTOBOOT.HFE software). I have only recently fitted the OLED display to it so have not tested the browsing files directly on it.

I have been playing with the FlashFloppy Gotek and find it easy to use. The OLED is a must for file browsing. Where there is more than one disk for a game, I put these into a folder. When I select the folder, after 2 seconds it opens it and then shows the first file in the folder. After another 2 seconds, it selects that file.

Without the OLED I would say use the HxC firmware. I will spend some time and test the HxC with the OLED as I fully support the development of the HFEv3 disk format.
Atari Falcon 030 | Atari 1040 STE | Atari 1040 STFM | Atari 1040 STF | Kryoflux & Supercard Pro Flux boards
Admin of Atari ST Review Magazine Archive: http://www.ataristreview.com

beel1
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby beel1 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:16 pm

Hello,
Is a vanilla Gotek usable in a 1040STE (1.62 TOS) or does it need to be flashed with a custom FW?

catmando
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby catmando » Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:10 pm

beel1 wrote:Hello,
Is a vanilla Gotek usable in a 1040STE (1.62 TOS) or does it need to be flashed with a custom FW?

Yes it will but it's better to flash the gotek with hxc or flash floppy firmware as it makes life a lot easier to load disk images.
Atari Falcon Tos 4.04 | 14mb | IDE CF 2GB
Atari STE Tos 1.62 | 4mb | HxC Slim SD 8GB
Atari STE Tos 1.62/2.06 | 4mb | Floppy A-B Mod | IDE SD 4GB
Atari STFM
Android Devices (Running Hataroid and SToid)

Atari Forum Wiki - Use it before asking

Bikerbob
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby Bikerbob » Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:27 pm

Now updated to 9.4a..

Btw, with Flash Floppy .. no M0 jumper required, no diode mod for eject required.

James

mpattonm
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby mpattonm » Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:56 pm

catmando wrote:
beel1 wrote:Hello,

Yes it will but it's better to flash the gotek with hxc or flash floppy firmware as it makes life a lot easier to load disk images.

Really? I thought common Gotek SFR1M44-U100 w/o HxC/FlashFloppy only emulates 1,44MB drive, which vanilla 1040STE can not read. You could get Gotek Gotek SFRM72-FU-DL thought.

Jeff_HxC2001
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Jeff_HxC2001 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:44 am

kodak80 wrote:
catmando wrote:

I have both. I have a Gotek with the latest HxC firmware loaded as well as a Gotek with the FlashFloppy firmware. I like browsing the disk image files and folders with an OLED display attached. I recommend using an OLED display and they are easy to fit and offer more information.

I have the FlashFloppy Gotek as I wanted to try updating a vanilla Gotek with FlashFloppy firmware to see how the Gotek would work.

Whilst I have the HxC Gotek, I have only used it with the autoboot (the AUTOBOOT.HFE software). I have only recently fitted the OLED display to it so have not tested the browsing files directly on it.

I have been playing with the FlashFloppy Gotek and find it easy to use. The OLED is a must for file browsing. Where there is more than one disk for a game, I put these into a folder. When I select the folder, after 2 seconds it opens it and then shows the first file in the folder. After another 2 seconds, it selects that file.

Without the OLED I would say use the HxC firmware. I will spend some time and test the HxC with the OLED as I fully support the development of the HFEv3 disk format.

FYI the direct browsing is an HxC feature since 2008 with the SD HxC and since 2015 for the Gotek HxC FW. In fact this is even the normal way to use an HxC Floppy Emulator...

More details on the HxC FW usages there :

http://torlus.com/floppy/forum/viewtopi ... 486#p16457

Normal mode

In this mode the file image/disk to load is directly selected with the buttons
and the LCD screen. One I2C screen is needed to be able to use this mode.
An optional "select" push button can be connected on the JA connector.
No extra software needed.

config file is optional (Config-Less support).

If you you want to have the last image selection image feature, the config file to copy to the root of the flash media
for this mode is into the folder Config_Files/Normal_mode/HXCSDFE.CFG from the
USB Stick STM32 HxC Floppy Emulator firmware update archive

Social Media

Return to “Other emulators & tools”