Writing disk images to ST floppy from PC/Mac

WinSTon, Nostalgia, MSA Converter, FloImg, Makedisk and all the others.

Moderators: Mug UK, Moderator Team

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Writing disk images to ST floppy from PC/Mac

Postby joska » Fri May 13, 2016 11:35 am

I have made a rudimentary command line tool that allows you to write disk images directly to your Atari's floppy drive from a PC/Mac using PARCP. It can also dump floppies directly from the ST's floppy drive to your PC/Mac. However, you do need either mass storage or a big RAM-disk on the ST since the disk image is buffered on disk on the ST.

You can find sources and binaries here. Please note that the client side is implemented as simple shell scripts, they will work on Linux and OS X. You will probably need to alter these to suit your setup (location of parcp binary). You can probably run these on Windows computers if you install Cygwin (or the latest Windows 10 betas...) but a better solution would be batch-files for the Windows command shell. You'd have to create these yourself though, I have no Windows computers at home.
Last edited by joska on Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jo Even

Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

campbrian
Atarian
Atarian

Re: Writing disk images to ST floppy from PC/Mac

Postby campbrian » Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:41 pm

Could you please repost this on github (or any other server) because your server is not reachable?

Thanks for your hard work. I look forward to trying this out!

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:03 am

Thanks for the reminder. I have updated the URL.
Jo Even

Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby AtariZoll » Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:26 am

Idea is good, but I dare to say that realization is not that good :D Why ? Because those who could most benefit from this can not use current v. of your SW. People with 512K Ataris. Solution would be to split images in smaller chunks and do writing in multiple steps. Like ~250KB parts.
Even better would be to do it by sending just single track at once, and immediately writing it. Using practically same parameters what XBIOS 9 function uses: sector count (9 or 10 usually), drive # - 0 or 1, side - 0 or 1, track 0-79 (or more). Then it will need only 5 KB for buffering. Of course, can add XBIOS 10 for format too before write sectors to track.
English language is like bad boss on workplace: it expecting from you to strictly follow all, numerous rules, but self bending rules as much likes :mrgreen:

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:38 am

AtariZoll wrote:Idea is good, but I dare to say that realization is not that good :D

You are right, it's not a good tool in the general case. I just wrote this small tool to simplify the floppy archiving process on my own hardware, which happens to have plenty (well, in Atari ST terms 12Mb is plenty..) of RAM and mass storage. The current implementation means that I did not have to write a single line of code on the PC side since I could simply just use parcp to transfer the image.
Jo Even

Social Media

Return to “Other emulators & tools”