Moderators: Klapauzius, Moderator Team

tobe
Atari God
Atari God

Atari legend ?

Postby tobe » Sat Sep 18, 2004 10:41 am

Where is gone Atari Legend ?
When i try to open the site i get : http://dbnx.com/suspended.page/
step 1: introduce bug, step 2: fix bug, step 3: goto step 1.

uno
Atariator
Atariator

Postby uno » Sat Sep 18, 2004 10:53 am

Argh, nooo! We want AtariLegend back! ST Graveyard, what went wrong?

simonsunnyboy

Postby simonsunnyboy » Sat Sep 18, 2004 11:00 am

Openly hosting copyrighted material like game disks ;)
There are rumors that actually DoomMaster gave lawyers a tip. Dunno if that is right but I won't be surprised if that's the case.
Anyway AtariLegend doesn't need downloads so I suggest droping that warez ftp. The site itself is more and enough to keep.
Simon Sunnyboy/Paradize - http://paradize.atari.org/ - STOT: http://www.npoi.de/stot/

Stay cool, stay Atari!

1x2600jr, 1x1040STFm, 1x1040STE 4MB+TOS2.06+SatanDisk, 1xF030 14MB+FPU+NetUS-Bee

Jabber: simonsunnyboy@atari-jabber.org

ST Graveyard
Obsessed with homicide
Obsessed with homicide

Postby ST Graveyard » Sat Sep 18, 2004 11:04 am

You are kidding me, right?

If this is the case, man ... What a really sad person he is ... The games are more than 10 years old and not for sale ... we are preserving history here, well, that is what we wanna do anyway ...

Anyway, another case could be we exceeded our storage limit? I don't know. Silver, what is wrong here??

Don't worry, the site will be back, with or without downloads ...

Cheers,
Graveyard
Last edited by ST Graveyard on Sat Sep 18, 2004 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Atari Legend IS back!

ST Graveyard
Obsessed with homicide
Obsessed with homicide

Postby ST Graveyard » Sat Sep 18, 2004 11:20 am

Just checked ... we have been deleted due to copyright reasons ... weird ...
Atari Legend IS back!

X3peri_MENTaL
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby X3peri_MENTaL » Sat Sep 18, 2004 12:24 pm

simonsunnyboy wrote:Openly hosting copyrighted material like game disks ;)
There are rumors that actually DoomMaster gave lawyers a tip. Dunno if that is right but I won't be surprised if that's the case.
Anyway AtariLegend doesn't need downloads so I suggest droping that warez ftp. The site itself is more and enough to keep.

Out of interest where did you hear those rumours????? I like many thought this guy had many ugly online practices, but surely this is too low even for him (however, they say there is no smoke without fire!).

Also, it probably wasn't the ftp (that was on Silver's computer ???) but the game downloads on the webspace - well I guess but I don't know the exact setup as I never downloaded anything from the site only the FTP.

tobe
Atari God
Atari God

Postby tobe » Sat Sep 18, 2004 12:42 pm

Who decided the copyrights were broken ?
Who can take some stupid decisions like this ?
grrrrrr :x
step 1: introduce bug, step 2: fix bug, step 3: goto step 1.

simonsunnyboy

Postby simonsunnyboy » Sat Sep 18, 2004 1:25 pm

X3peri_MENTaL wrote:Out of interest where did you hear those rumours????? I like many thought this guy had many ugly online practices, but surely this is too low even for him (however, they say there is no smoke without fire!).

Someone said it at #atariscne yesterday evening. Afaik it was Grazey but I might be wrong there. Lotek was active chatting too so perhaps he could either verify or correct that.
Simon Sunnyboy/Paradize - http://paradize.atari.org/ - STOT: http://www.npoi.de/stot/

Stay cool, stay Atari!

1x2600jr, 1x1040STFm, 1x1040STE 4MB+TOS2.06+SatanDisk, 1xF030 14MB+FPU+NetUS-Bee

Jabber: simonsunnyboy@atari-jabber.org

Silver Surfer
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Postby Silver Surfer » Sat Sep 18, 2004 1:42 pm

simonsunnyboy wrote:
X3peri_MENTaL wrote:Out of interest where did you hear those rumours????? I like many thought this guy had many ugly online practices, but surely this is too low even for him (however, they say there is no smoke without fire!).

Someone said it at #atariscne yesterday evening. Afaik it was Grazey but I might be wrong there. Lotek was active chatting too so perhaps he could either verify or correct that.

That is just pure speculation.

If someone has tipped someone off, we don't know who it is.

I am trying to get in touch with the server owners to get a hold of the legal complaint that has been sent to them. After which we can evaluate the situation and take the appropriate steps.

As far as atarilegend.org is concerned I haven't recieved any complaints there.

MoodST
Brume's Right Hand
Brume's Right Hand

Postby MoodST » Sat Sep 18, 2004 2:18 pm

Even though each of us knew this can happen anytime with any ST related website hosting disk images, I find this hard to believe that a site has to close for hosting ST Disk images (even though they are not considered by the law as being public domain). This is especially the case for Atari Legend. When you consider the amount of work done by Silver, Marteen, Brume and the others, this is really upsetting.

I truly hope that you guys will manage to get the people who closed the site understand that no harm was done to anyone and that you will get your webspace back as soon as possible.

Good luck,
<font color="darkblue"><< MoodST >>
------------------
http://whynotfree.atarizone.com
Freeware Directory and Atari Remakes Archive.</font>

[ProToS]

Postby [ProToS] » Sat Sep 18, 2004 2:33 pm

8O very bad news ... :cry:
SeeU
[ProToS]/Facebook

Goldrunner
Guardian of the PaST
Guardian of the PaST

Postby Goldrunner » Sat Sep 18, 2004 4:26 pm

Sorry to hear the news and I hope to see it back soon, PLEASE :!:

X3peri_MENTaL
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby X3peri_MENTaL » Sat Sep 18, 2004 6:12 pm

Silver Surfer wrote:If someone has tipped someone off, we don't know who it is.

Well at the top of any suspect list put anyone with a grudge, as usually if you violate someones copyright they would contact you directly as a first step and ask you to remove the offending item rather than contact the server owners directly (usually this is the next step and is only taken if you flagrantly ignore the request to remove the offending material).

So have you or any of the Legend crew upset anyone recently?????????????????????????????????????

MegaMan
Atarian
Atarian

Postby MegaMan » Sat Sep 18, 2004 7:42 pm

Yea, DoomMaster is one person that you do not want to piss off. He is a personal friend of mine. The DoomMaster is actually a very nice guy, just do not get on his bad side. I have seen him hack into sites just like this and do all sorts of damage and he can not be stopped. He can change his IP to any number at will and he does so often so you can not keep track of him or keep him banned. Amiga Org had banned his States entire IP range and he still managed to log back into Amiga Org and cause problems. The famous DoomMaster belongs to the oldest and biggest pirate organization in the world. He has been a member since 1985. I fear the Amiga Org and Atari Forum has made a big mistake by provoking the DoomMaster to anger. Now he will have his revenge. Many people left Amiga Org after the great DoomMaster was banned. One of the things that he is doing to get even with Atari Forum is to have most of the Atari web sites shut down. You will not be able to stop him. Since the DoomMaster is my friend, if you guys want me to, I can talk to him and ask him to have mercy on you. He will listen to me. :D
Last edited by MegaMan on Sat Sep 18, 2004 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Silver Surfer
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Postby Silver Surfer » Sat Sep 18, 2004 7:44 pm

X3peri_MENTaL wrote:
Silver Surfer wrote:If someone has tipped someone off, we don't know who it is.

Well at the top of any suspect list put anyone with a grudge, as usually if you violate someones copyright they would contact you directly as a first step and ask you to remove the offending item rather than contact the server owners directly (usually this is the next step and is only taken if you flagrantly ignore the request to remove the offending material).

One problem is that we kinda forgot to put out a contact email on the website, really stupid when you think about it. :oops:

Rest assured that once we get back online we will have ways to contact the crew. :wink:

cb
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby cb » Sat Sep 18, 2004 9:30 pm

MegaMan wrote:

Yea, DoomMaster is one person that you do not want to piss off. He is a personal friend of mine. The DoomMaster is actually a very nice guy, just do not get on his bad side. I have seen him hack into sites just like this and do all sorts of damage and he can not be stopped. He can change his IP to any number at will and he does so often so you can not keep track of him or keep him banned. Amiga Org had banned his States entire IP range and he still managed to log back into Amiga Org and cause problems. The famous DoomMaster belongs to the oldest and biggest pirate organization in the world. He has been a member since 1985. I fear the Amiga Org and Atari Forum has made a big mistake by provoking the DoomMaster to anger. Now he will have his revenge. Many people left Amiga Org after the great DoomMaster was banned. One of the things that he is doing to get even with Atari Forum is to have most of the Atari web sites shut down. You will not be able to stop him. Since the DoomMaster is my friend, if you guys want me to, I can talk to him and ask him to have mercy on you. He will listen to me. :D

Doommaster, you're pathetic. :evil:
Heghlu'meH QaQ jajvam!

Ragstaff
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Ragstaff » Sun Sep 19, 2004 12:28 am

The famous DoomMaster belongs to the oldest and biggest pirate organization in the world. He has been a member since 1985

Did he call himself DoomMaster before Doom came out? :)

bodkinz

Postby bodkinz » Sun Sep 19, 2004 3:09 am

Dumbmaster morelike...

bodkinz
someone post something, i'm bored :)

ST Graveyard
Obsessed with homicide
Obsessed with homicide

Postby ST Graveyard » Sun Sep 19, 2004 10:41 am

It is so sad that there always has to be one person who has to ruin it for everybody, he. I guess that's just the way life goes.

Ah well, you can blame him, he ... He can't help it he was born retarded ... We haven't made ourselves, you know ...

Anyway, lets hope we can get the site back up online soon ... And there won't be any downloads on it (for all I care anyway)... There just seem to be too many little children around these days who might find this illegal and report it ...

MegaMan wrote:

Atari Legend IS back!

Cyrano Jones
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Cyrano Jones » Sun Sep 19, 2004 10:51 am

MegaMan wrote:Many people left Amiga Org after the great DoomMaster was banned.

All of them aliases.....

X3peri_MENTaL
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby X3peri_MENTaL » Sun Sep 19, 2004 11:50 am

ST Graveyard wrote: ... And there won't be any downloads on it (for all I care anyway)... There just seem to be too many little children around these days who might find this illegal and report it ...

That is a real shame :(

Copyright is basically the legal exclusive right of the author of a creative work to control the copying of that work however, if the work has no commercial value, the violation is mostly technical and is unlikely to result in legal action. Besides, who is going to take legal action as most of the companies who made the games ceased to exist a long time ago? Also I am sure many of the people who created this stuff would be pleased and proud that their work is still available and used.

However, I do not wish to peddle the same old argument again, I just hope when(if) Silver sees the complaint that be can persuade the server owners to reverse their decision. If a copyright owner (which Doommaster ain't) has had their copyright infringed then simply remove the offending item. If the complainent is not even a copyright owner (Doommaster) then there can surely be no justification for upholding the site suspension as I do not believe you can defend anyone elses copyright on their behalf! (the exception being if you are a lawyer representing the copyright OWNER).

ST Graveyard wrote: Ah well, you can blame him, he ... He can't help it he was born retarded ...

The Doommaster's posts always seem to be in the 3rd person when he is in fact talking about himself. This is NOT normal behaviour. I know that you are angry Graveyard - and justifiably - but calling him retarded is not therefore useful as I am starting to think that Ijor was correct when he stated in another thread (about Doommaster).
Ijor wrote: It is possible that he has some kind of mental problems

Back to the point, I urge the Atari Legend crew *NOT* to give up and to restore the site back to exactly where it was, i.e. downloads included. This would be welcomed by Atarians everywhere. It is important to remember that the site suspension is likely just a knee jerk reaction by the server owners (standard protocol being followed) and that you are fighting against just one misguided individual and not corporate big business (and copyright owners).

Don't let one individual ruin it for everyone else :x

Peace

Klapauzius
The Klaz
The Klaz

Postby Klapauzius » Sun Sep 19, 2004 12:10 pm

X3peri_MENTaL wrote: *** lots of wise stuff ***

I agree 100% with X3peri_MENTaL and couldn't have said it better (in fact I'm not as eloquent as him ;-) )

Cheers

Klaz

Ragstaff
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Ragstaff » Sun Sep 19, 2004 12:23 pm

ST Graveyard wrote:It is so sad that there always has to be one person who has to ruin it for everybody, he. I guess that's just the way life goes.

Ah well, you can blame him, he ... He can't help it he was born retarded ... We haven't made ourselves, you know ...

Anyway, lets hope we can get the site back up online soon ... And there won't be any downloads on it (for all I care anyway)... There just seem to be too many little children around these days who might find this illegal and report it ...

You are right of course. We don't know where he was born, how he was raised, and what reasons he has to be like he is.
He seems rather desparate to be accepted and thought of as cool "I am an 7337 h4x0r" etc. This shows that he doesn't have much security within himself - he relies on what other people think of him to feel good. (that doesn't mean he always wants to be liked. He might want to be feared, admired, or loathed)

In a way, his dishonesty makes sense, because often our inner strength comes from us knowing deep down that what we're doing is right. If he doesn't feel strongly inside himself what is right, it would be easier for him to do the wrong thing.

This doesn't make what he did right; it's just something to think about.

If only he would admit what he did, and send the hard drive back, we could probably help him a lot by unbanning his account and just treating him how he wants to be treated. I don't mean believing his stupid lies or treating him "7337" - I mean just letting him talk atari with us, with his DoomMaster ID that he seems to treasure so much.
But this won't happen, because I don't think he'll stop lying or return the hard drive...

Ragstaff
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Ragstaff » Sun Sep 19, 2004 12:32 pm

Klapauzius wrote:I agree 100% with X3peri_MENTaL and couldn't have said it better (in fact I'm not as eloquent as him ;-) )

Cheers

Klaz

Agreed. Wise post by X3peri_MENTal.
Of course, it's still up to Silver and Graveyard what risks they want to take...

ST Graveyard
Obsessed with homicide
Obsessed with homicide

Postby ST Graveyard » Sun Sep 19, 2004 2:36 pm

Lets just wait and see who actually complained and for what reason.

But as X3peri_MENTaL pointed out, I've talked to quite some game makers now, and they are always pleased we admire their work and that we make it available to the public, so their work is not forgotten ...

Yes, I was angry ... but heck, lets wait and see ...

... We just don't wanna make any risks ... And we don't wanna do anything illegal ...

We'll keep you posted ...

Cheers,
Grave
Atari Legend IS back!

Social Media

Return to “Atari Legend Forum”