Atari Legend talk.

Moderators: Klapauzius, Moderator Team

ST Graveyard
Obsessed with homicide
Obsessed with homicide

Atari Legend contributions : Screenshots

Postby ST Graveyard » Wed Mar 10, 2004 7:38 pm

Hello everybody,

Well, a lot of people seem to be happy with the new AL project. So I like to take this oportunity and ask you guys for some help. This sticky thread is meant to be for screenshot contributions. There is no hurry, all I'm asking from you guys is when you're playing a game (using STEEM or another emu) is to grab a shot now and then, post them in a zip file on this board. Every shot is welcome, and will be added to the growing db of Atari Legend.

There are some specifications though. But it is simple. The shots should all be PNG screenshots. And the size should be 320*200. The easiest way to grab a shot like this is to download the "free image" extension pack from the STEEM website and install it http://www.blimey.strayduck.com/download.htm

Once you have done that, all you gotta do is open steem in the smallest window possible, go to the options --> display --> format --> PNG. Then press the screenshot grab button (click on shortcuts to see which one it is : "end" button is the standard) and you have it!

Well, that is about it. If you have questions, don't hesitate to ask them!

Now we are really hoping this is succesfull ...

Thank you all for your time and ... happy grabbin' ;-)

ST Graveyard
We are Atari Legend.

Visit us at : http://www.atarilegend.com

Youtube
Facebook
Twitter

Sister site :
Stonish.net

Goldrunner
Guardian of the PaST
Guardian of the PaST

Postby Goldrunner » Thu Mar 11, 2004 12:35 am

Hi

I am constantly grabbing screenshots for the Gamebase ST project. They are all 320 x 200 grabs, but i'm afaid they are all in the GIF format. I found GIF was the perfect solution for 16 colour screens because it can save in that format, while PNG uses 256 (8-bit) colours even when saving 16 colour pictures. If i was building a website though i would probably go down the PNG root!

I can easily send you the screenshots, but because of Gamebase ST i don't have time to convert them to PNG.

Showaddywaddy
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Showaddywaddy » Thu Mar 11, 2004 9:48 am

LGD has a similar game screen shot library, surely some type of co-operation would be fruitful. Or are we re-inventing the wheel again ? :roll:

Shw

ST Graveyard
Obsessed with homicide
Obsessed with homicide

Postby ST Graveyard » Thu Mar 11, 2004 10:47 am

Paul,

That would be fantastic. Every shot is welcome. I think we can easily convert them to png, no problem. Of course, you can also use the shots we produce for AL in your project!

SHW,

well, I guess you may call it a little bit of inventing the wheel, but we have a lot of people involved and already have a good bunch of shots. I"m also trying to use as many shots from the ST Graveyard page as possible (also for the future review section). And about Rich, well, he uses most of the time animated giffs, and we don't wanna go that road at all. Also, he seems to be doing other things these days, so I don't want to annoy him with this stuff ...

Greetz,
ST Graveyard
We are Atari Legend.

Youtube
Facebook
Twitter

Sister site :
Stonish.net

Perihelion

Postby Perihelion » Fri Mar 12, 2004 10:04 am

I agree, PNG is the ONLY format that will work, since GIF really in commersial if you bitch about it and jpg is pure crap for anything but really big lanscape pictures.
heh, imagine that, several thousand atari users holding up their ataris on a nice background of Fujisan mmmmmmm
anyone in for a trip to japan? We all grab our ataris and take a BIG group picture, then we get drunk on sake and eat sushi off naked bodies.

I was originally going to post this mainly to say that screenshots should be in 640*400, but quickly realised that's completely useless since the native resolution is still 320*200, stupid me :)

[added] Well, in what fromat do you want box scans?

ST Graveyard
Obsessed with homicide
Obsessed with homicide

Postby ST Graveyard » Fri Mar 12, 2004 10:23 am

We still have to figure out boxscans, I suggest in the highest possible quality ... We'll compress it all afterwards for now ...

ST Graveyard
We are Atari Legend.

Youtube
Facebook
Twitter

Sister site :
Stonish.net

mouse_master
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby mouse_master » Fri Mar 12, 2004 6:22 pm

Well, unless you are against it, you can always use Amiga box scans, there are TONS of them available, and I have many from A-F of the alphabet.....

Just a suggestion

And, yes, I have seen ST boxscans on Amiga websites :)

Goldrunner
Guardian of the PaST
Guardian of the PaST

Postby Goldrunner » Fri Mar 12, 2004 10:12 pm

PNG is great i do agree with that, but when it comes to saving Atari ST screenshots then i maintain that GIF is a better format because of its 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, 128, and 256 colour support.

I must admit i was concerned with the license agreements with GIF! However, on June 20, 2003, the LZW patent (used by GIF) expired in the US. In 2004 (supposedly July 7th) the patent will expire in the other countries where Unisys holds it. So no infrigments can take place anyway and no license will be required anymore!

Perihelion

Postby Perihelion » Sat Mar 13, 2004 11:07 am

Well ... I took a screenshot of DungeonMaster (from atari legend)
smash into photoshop 7
Save for web as png-8; 11.2 k
Save for web as gif (32 colours, since it seemed at 16 one was dropped); 10.4 k
So there's a teeny bit of saving it seems, these numbers are of course only for one picture. Both pictures came to 12k on the HD nonetheless since size is evened out.

Thus, there's an extremely small difference, plus png is absolutely legal, free and as far as I know open(?).
Personally, I like png better because it offers more transparency and flexibility, the only thing gif has is those animated stuff (that i use myself hehe).

So my two cents will be; KEEP PNG

good to know about that patent running out though

Goldrunner
Guardian of the PaST
Guardian of the PaST

Postby Goldrunner » Sat Mar 13, 2004 4:41 pm

Hi Perihelion

I think that now the patent is running out it is very fine line which is better to use. At least its easy to convert between the two without any image loss!

Goldrunner
Guardian of the PaST
Guardian of the PaST

Postby Goldrunner » Sun Mar 14, 2004 10:09 pm

Hi ST Graveyard

Gamebase ST is now downloadable, this release contains 160 screenshots from 50 games. Please use them if you like on your website :!:

All the very best

Paul.

ST Graveyard
Obsessed with homicide
Obsessed with homicide

Postby ST Graveyard » Sun Mar 14, 2004 10:44 pm

Thanks a lot Paul ...

Same for you BTW ... Pictures are uploaded daily at Atari Legend, you can use it all as well! We should combine forces here!

Cheers,
ST Graveyard
We are Atari Legend.

Youtube
Facebook
Twitter

Sister site :
Stonish.net

Gryzor
Gryzorator
Gryzorator

Postby Gryzor » Sun Mar 14, 2004 11:05 pm

ACDSee offers mass format conversion on-the-fly... very easy to do, very configurable and fast...

PNG are better, among other things, because the fortmat offers better compression vis-a-vis GIF (5-25% on average...).

Cheers
Gryzor
Reality is that, which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. --P.K.Dick

.:.
http://gryzor.info

Perihelion

Postby Perihelion » Mon Mar 15, 2004 8:53 pm

PNG are better, among other things, because the fortmat offers better compression vis-a-vis GIF (5-25% on average...).

That's generally true, but the thing is that a 16/32 colour GIF is smaller than a 256 colour PNG, and PNG's don't seem to fall shorter than 256 colours, so in this instance (Atari screenshotting), a GIF might be smaller.

Silver Surfer
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Postby Silver Surfer » Mon Mar 15, 2004 9:09 pm

Perihelion wrote:

That's generally true, but the thing is that a 16/32 colour GIF is smaller than a 256 colour PNG, and PNG's don't seem to fall shorter than 256 colours, so in this instance (Atari screenshotting), a GIF might be smaller.

I made an attempt with a 16 color image in Photoshop and the png image got to be a couple of hundred bytes smaller. Not much of a difference in my opinion.

Perihelion

Postby Perihelion » Mon Mar 15, 2004 9:13 pm

Ah, then it depends on picture then, cus as you can see a few posts up, MY tests showed GIF was smaller, but barely so.
Ah well ... as so often in computers, it all boils down to religion :twisted:

Let's just hope the Atari community will survine all religious strife and continue to work as one unit
One nation, under God, Freedom and Software for ALL!!!! (couldn't help it)

Gryzor
Gryzorator
Gryzorator

Postby Gryzor » Mon Mar 15, 2004 10:10 pm

I made an attempt with a 16 color image in Photoshop and the png image got to be a couple of hundred bytes smaller. Not much of a difference in my opinion.

Well, indeed png does go below 256, as you can see in Photoshop (and also above it, I think. I just made some 32bit png's!). When we're talking about 16-colour images the compression difference is, indeed, very small -couldn't be otherwise... so you got a point there. Still, I much prefer png's to gif's because (other than the openness of the format) it's much, much more versatile. But it's not an issue here. Ah, just talking out of my arse right now :D

Cheers
Gryzor[/quote]
Reality is that, which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. --P.K.Dick

Goldrunner
Guardian of the PaST
Guardian of the PaST

Postby Goldrunner » Tue Mar 16, 2004 12:51 am

OK, i bow to public opinion about PNG and will from now on use it for the screenshots in Gamebase ST. Another reason is that it will make exchanging screenshots with Atari Legend a whole lot easier in the future as both grow!

Now what i need is a program that will batch convert from GIF to PNG while keeping the filenames intact :?:

Silver Surfer
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Postby Silver Surfer » Tue Mar 16, 2004 10:26 am

I use this one. http://www.creabit.com/viewer/ Plenty of options in the batch convert screen. :)

Stefan jL
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Stefan jL » Sat Mar 20, 2004 9:50 am

a suggestion to those who take screenshots is to make them as varied as possible, there are some really horrible examples on LGD where some games only has a picture of the titlescreen.

I would like to see shots like this way... example: Intro(if avaible), titlescreen, creditsscreen (if avaible), atleast 3 ingame screens from different levels, and game over screen (if avaible).

the ingame scrrenshots are the most important, atleast for me.

Stefan jL
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Stefan jL » Sat Mar 20, 2004 9:53 am

and as an real example from atarilegend is the game "seven gates of jambala", thats how screenshots should be made... but without the colour messup :)

http://www.atarilegend.com/games/games_ ... me_id=2635

Gryzor
Gryzorator
Gryzorator

Postby Gryzor » Sat Mar 20, 2004 10:04 am

I'll second that. I went to LGD to download some screenshots for the Gamebase logo and it wasn't very practical :)

Cheers
Gryzor

Stefan jL
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Stefan jL » Sat Mar 20, 2004 10:50 am

and please take the screenshots from the english version of the games (if avaible), they are more usefull in that way :D

(just saw some french Metal Mutant screenshots)

Stefan jL
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Stefan jL » Sat Mar 20, 2004 11:45 am

here are some "amazing spiderman" screenshots in PNG format:
http://shozan.sytes.net/~meth/atarist/p ... derman.zip

ST Graveyard
Obsessed with homicide
Obsessed with homicide

Postby ST Graveyard » Sat Mar 20, 2004 12:44 pm

Hi Stefan!

Thanks for pointing out the faulty shots. The screenshots have been put into the Legend DB very fast lately, to please the viewers ... This has ofcourse a downside (like you pointed out), but we will fixxx this.

About the screenshots ... We have a lot of help from different people. But keep in mind it is not always possible to make shots from different levels, cause that would just take an enormous amount of time. This will happen, in time, though. I suggest you wait till the next release, when the reviews will be added ... When I game is reviewed, more shots will be added from all kinds of levels ...

Anyway, thanks again, and please keep on posting faulty shots and mistakes! That's the only way we can make this site the best!!

Also like to add than in the last couple of days, 100's of shots have been added ... Don't know if anyone noticed this?

Enjoy,

ST Graveyard
We are Atari Legend.

Youtube
Facebook
Twitter

Sister site :
Stonish.net

Social Media

Return to “Atari Legend Forum”