- ! HOW TO CLEAN A DIRTY/MOULDY DISK ! -

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, Moderator Team

dlfrsilver
Atari God
Atari God

- ! HOW TO CLEAN A DIRTY/MOULDY DISK ! -

Postby dlfrsilver » Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:18 pm

Hello guys,

Since Troed asked it again lately, and since it can be useful to many people with dirty disks out there, here is the video i did today (thanks to my
wife for filming).

I apologize for the english, since i did this tutorial "quick'n' fast".

Any comment welcome, i hope it will help people on how to do it :)

Now SPS France representative since the 19th of June 2014. Proud to be an SPS member !

exxos
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Re: - ! HOW TO CLEAN A DIRTY/MOULDY DISK ! -

Postby exxos » Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:44 pm

Cool :) I'm sure it will help people out. :cheers:

Only time I tried that was 20 years ago and the IPA took the magnetic layer off and was just left with clear plastic :roll: :shrug:
4MB STFM 1.44 FD- VELOCE+ 020 STE - Falcon 030 CT60 - Atari 2600 - Atari 7800 - Gigafile - SD Floppy Emulator - PeST - various clutter

http://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
http://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/last/storenew/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
http://ataristeven.exxoshost.co.uk/Steem.htm Latest Steem Emulator

dlfrsilver
Atari God
Atari God

Postby dlfrsilver » Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:06 pm

Thanks for commenting :)

As you can see in the video, i don't do any traction on the disk surface. But then if the magnetic layer is coming off, this means the disk is rotten.

And there's nothing to do :/
Now SPS France representative since the 19th of June 2014. Proud to be an SPS member !

exxos
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby exxos » Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:11 pm

Yeah what you do seems best. I think likely I used a cottonbud with IPA on to try and get the kack off the disk, but didnt work. Could have just been a cheap disk or different grades of IPA maybe, no clue. Not had any other disks with mould on. Though I did copy 2,000 odd over to my PC many years ago just in case. One day I might actually finish my stuff from the 90s ;)
4MB STFM 1.44 FD- VELOCE+ 020 STE - Falcon 030 CT60 - Atari 2600 - Atari 7800 - Gigafile - SD Floppy Emulator - PeST - various clutter

http://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
http://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/last/storenew/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
http://ataristeven.exxoshost.co.uk/Steem.htm Latest Steem Emulator

dlfrsilver
Atari God
Atari God

Postby dlfrsilver » Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:36 pm

exxos wrote:Yeah what you do seems best. I think likely I used a cottonbud with IPA on to try and get the kack off the disk, but didnt work. Could have just been a cheap disk or different grades of IPA maybe, no clue. Not had any other disks with mould on. Though I did copy 2,000 odd over to my PC many years ago just in case. One day I might actually finish my stuff from the 90s ;)

Would be cool, my method allows for 98% of the disk to be back from the dead. 2% are however impossible to get back :/

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:15 am

Did you use IPA ?
IPA tend to take off some of the magnetic stuff & plastic that the disc is made off.
After taking out the disc, I would just use water, even run them under the tap with a small stream of water.
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63+CTPCI_ATI_RTL8139 14+512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff for sale - click here for list

dlfrsilver
Atari God
Atari God

Postby dlfrsilver » Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:54 am

wongck wrote:Did you use IPA ?
IPA tend to take off some of the magnetic stuff & plastic that the disc is made off.
After taking out the disc, I would just use water, even run them under the tap with a small stream of water.

Water is unable to remove the mould/dirt. I use IPA that's what i say in the video, the thing is that the IPA must be wiped as soon as it's applied
on the disk surface, otherwise it eats the magnetic surface.

The cleaning on one side of the magnetic disc must not exceed 10 seconds. As you can see in my video, as soon i have finished to apply the IPA, i use another cotton to remove the poo out of the disc surface.

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Sat Oct 22, 2016 3:53 am

Yes, i saw that.
May be the environment is also important. Humidity is very high here, I guess it is much lower in EU and so your IPA dries much faster.

Great that it works out over there :thumbs: and nice video :thumbs:
Importantly you showed the steps, some people may not have any idea where to start... and thinks that it is not possible to clean it.
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63+CTPCI_ATI_RTL8139 14+512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI

dlfrsilver
Atari God
Atari God

Postby dlfrsilver » Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:56 pm

Thanks for the comment :) I should had done it way earlier, but i had nothing to film while doing it.

Now it's done, i'll do next the same video for 3 inches floppy disks :)

Zogging Hell
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Zogging Hell » Sat Oct 22, 2016 3:46 pm

Interesting, didn't know that (that the IPA can damage the surface). I've been cleaning disks with isopropyl for years and not had a problem so far (although the seed of doubt has now been sown!). Usually I've been really lazy and just rotated the disk (or put it in the drive) after applying so the internal cleaning cloth of the disk does the job for me. The only problems I've had is that the IPA can sometimes cause the cleaning cloth to break down, but only after a serious amount has been applied on numerous occasions (on that one buggering disk where that last sector won't read). I've occasionally had good results getting really troublesome disks (where there is no visible crud) saved by literally shoving the disk in the drive with a small amount of IPA still 'wet' on it and trying to read it before it dries. Not sure what the science is on that but it sometimes seems to work now and then :)

Not sure I would use water from the tap though, surely the chlorine would not be helpful and other trace elements in it would leave a crappy residue once it has dried?
Firebee, Falcon CT60, Milan 040, Falcon MkI, TT, Mega STe, Mega ST + Lots of STs of various flavours

dlfrsilver
Atari God
Atari God

Postby dlfrsilver » Sat Oct 22, 2016 7:29 pm

otherwise you need to dilute the IPA to make it less strong and abrasive.

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:34 am

Haha... i been cleaning (washing) floppy using water from the tap since early 80s, that's started with for my Apple ][ 5.25in floppies. Really that was when the first time I did it, and then moving over naturally to do the same for ST discs. Over here we have high humidity that promotes mould growth.
In any case, i have few disc now and uses the HxC. So no more such issues now.

Zogging Hell
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Zogging Hell » Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:42 pm

Grin, sounds like early computing must have been a nightmare out your way Wong, I bet you cheered when the memory stick turned up. Do your computers go rusty as well with all this water floating about ;)
Firebee, Falcon CT60, Milan 040, Falcon MkI, TT, Mega STe, Mega ST + Lots of STs of various flavours

dlfrsilver
Atari God
Atari God

Postby dlfrsilver » Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:21 am

well, honestly, in order to store in the best possible way, you need to live in a dry home. I mean by that the weather can be full of humidity where you live, if your home is warmed by hot air or radiators, it should be fine.

Social Media

Return to “Guides”