Everything soldering related

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, Moderator Team

Shredder11
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Everything soldering related

Postby Shredder11 » Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:49 pm

Okay I admit I am a n00b when it comes to soldering but I am eager to learn. I have been shown a basic first steps guide to it by my boffin uncle but he is in Lincolnshire 74 miles away, so the rest of the time I have to rely upon the good old internet and you good folks.

I have a Weller WTCP 50 soldering station that my uncle gave me a few years back and now I need to know what solder, flux, braid etc to buy and where best to get it. I expect like most things there are a lot of crap products out there to avoid, so any advice on what you guys prefer to use and where you buy it will be very appreciated.

ralcool
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Re: Everything soldering related

Postby ralcool » Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:58 am

For most basic electronics....

1.5mm & 2mm desoldering braid. (I use 'gootwick' brand- works very well)

20-50 watt soldering iron.. Assorted tips if you can, otherwise about 2mm is good.

Rosin Core Solder.. maybe 0.7-1mm for electronic compoments.. and around 2-3mm for automotive wires... dunno the brand, same large roll now for around 5yrs. (no label...)

Flux pen... use very rarely.. tip has dried out...but still use a diabetic syringe to extract and use occasionally.

Checkout Youtube.. there are some fantastic vids on techniques for soldering all mana of things.

Where to buy..well I use ebay alot now... sometimes the quantities supplied can be misleading on the cheapest stuff..but generally as good as anywhere else.
Or visit your local electronic store and ask the 'experts'.
4160STFM, (Blitter, 4Mb RAM 72pin, 16Mhz OC, IDE, HD FDD, Quad TOS, LaScan, DS1216E Clock, AT-Speed C16, Tom Kirk PS2 mouse, MegaST Keyboard)
What Intel giveth, Microsoft taketh away
Beer is proof that God loves us, and wants us to be happy
Don't let post count or join date fool you as to who is a newbie, and who knows what's what

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:02 am

Nothing is better than practice... open up your PC try it out first before on your Atari :mrgreen:
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63+CTPCI_ATI_RTL8139 14+512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff for sale - click here for list

Shredder11
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Shredder11 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 1:11 pm

Yep don't worry I will be practising on lower classes of computer or circuit boards, before attempting anything with my beloved Ataris! :mrgreen:

Social Media

Return to “Guides”