Removing yellowing from old computer cases, solved!!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, Moderator Team

flashjazzcat
Atari User
Atari User

Re: Removing yellowing from old computer cases, solved!!

Postby flashjazzcat » Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:06 am

I would have used sellotape, but thinking about it I'm not sure if the mixture will corrode it at all. Best to do some tests; if the sellotape keeps the peroxide out, it just needs to be pressed down firmly around the perimeter of the badge. Alternatively, a safer way of actually removing the badge is to warm the case first with a hairdryer; this loosens the adhesive and you should be able to lift the badge without bending it too much.

Desty
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Desty » Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:57 pm

KLund1 wrote:I'm not sure what would be a good 'mask' for the label. On one 800xl case, I used brown masking tape. and the paste went right through it. If we used something too strong, the sticky part could pull the color of the label off at the end of the process.
Any ideas what would be good enough to hold back the H2O2, and not pull the ink off later?

How about some kind of sticky, almost solid gel, like hair gel or wax? You could smear it around/on the badge, then pull/wash it off after the process is complete?
tá'n poc ar buile!

flashjazzcat
Atari User
Atari User

Postby flashjazzcat » Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:55 pm

Blu-Tac! :)

Desty
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Desty » Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:37 pm

Sounds right :)
tá'n poc ar buile!

KLund1
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby KLund1 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:49 pm

Blu Tac?
What is this?
UPDATED: Falcon 030(FX-1)(CF int & removable SD), MSTE 4+PS3000 4160STE 2.06+HDFD STacy4-internal-USD 1040STFM+I.B.Driver-5.25"FDD 1040STF 1040ST 520ST-AdSpeed 400-48k 800+810x2+820+822+825+830+835+850, 800XL+IndusGT 600XL 130XE+XF551x2 Portfolio 1200XL APE(Warp+32in1 OS SuperVideo 2.1 256k RAMBO)+1050x2 USD'd+SIO2PC, PC1+PCH204+PCM124+PCF554x2

rocket-dog
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby rocket-dog » Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:59 pm

An adhesive putty for sticking posters, notes, etc. to walls instead of using pins.

tjlazer
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby tjlazer » Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:17 am

Here are some of my results. Just used Clairol 40 count developer creamer in the sun for about 6 hours over two days...

The ST was not as dramatic as the XE! I had like 4 ST's with just slightly yellowed keys, I just brushed on the developer with a small paint brush, every 30 min or so in the sun. Then just wiped it off. No need to disassemble the keyboard at all!

yellow 65XE outside.jpg

Restored 65XE outside.jpg

520ST before.jpg

520ST after.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Atari Computer Collector since 1984

From the 8-bit Atari 400 to the 32-bit Atari TT030!

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:23 pm

tjlazer wrote:Here are some of my results. Just used Clairol 40 count developer creamer in the sun for about 6 hours over two days...

I have been to the local supermarket and asked about this Clairol 40 count developer creamer. They do not know this product.
Do you know if they are calling it outside of Europe?
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63+CTPCI_ATI_RTL8139 14+512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff for sale - click here for list

matt
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby matt » Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:16 am

Here is a link to "Clairol Developer 40" creme

http://american-discount-beauty-supply. ... e=GB&id=uk

it's a creme that is added to hair dye when bleaching hair, and there are other brands of the same product. I can't vouch for alternatives, but the important thing is probably the rating 40(%) volume.

I'd like to read more on this if tjlazer can let us know where he was recommended it?
Atari 1040STE 4MB, TOS 2.06 patched, C-LAB Notator SL 3.21, Cubeat 2, EIZO FlexScan L565 17", Supera Color HD video converter

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:27 am

matt wrote:Here is a link to "Clairol Developer 40" creme

http://american-discount-beauty-supply. ... e=GB&id=uk

Yeah, but I'm not in Europe :-(
Went to 2 store and they don't have it.
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63+CTPCI_ATI_RTL8139 14+512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI

matt
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby matt » Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:47 am

The link is for the USA.

But if I track it down in the UK I will buy a second one and ship it to you.
Atari 1040STE 4MB, TOS 2.06 patched, C-LAB Notator SL 3.21, Cubeat 2, EIZO FlexScan L565 17", Supera Color HD video converter

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:40 pm

matt wrote:The link is for the USA.
But if I track it down in the UK I will buy a second one and ship it to you.

Thanks, but it will then be not worth it... becomes expensive.
Also shipping some liquid may be difficult nowadays.

tjlazer
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby tjlazer » Sat Oct 31, 2009 4:08 am

I was asked what process I used. I just poured the Clairol 40 Professional creme developer into a bowl. I then washed and dried the parts and set them out in the sun on cardboard or a box. I used a regular paint brush and dipped it into the creamer getting it on the brush. I then painted the creme developer on the parts. Applying thin coats and did not put too much on it. I did this every 30-60 minutes for several hours. Then I got a clean damp cloth to wipe it off. I used some Simple Green on my rag. You might have to go another day if the yellow is not all gone... I even did the 65EXE keyboard while it was intact in the case. Just do not use too much developer on it as you don't want to saturate the keyboard. Only thin coats on are needed to paint on the parts...
Atari Computer Collector since 1984

From the 8-bit Atari 400 to the 32-bit Atari TT030!

BoNuS
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby BoNuS » Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:40 pm

tjlazer wrote:I was asked what process I used. I just poured the Clairol 40 Professional creme developer into a bowl. I then washed and dried the parts and set them out in the sun on cardboard or a box. I used a regular paint brush and dipped it into the creamer getting it on the brush. I then painted the creme developer on the parts. Applying thin coats and did not put too much on it. I did this every 30-60 minutes for several hours. Then I got a clean damp cloth to wipe it off. I used some Simple Green on my rag. You might have to go another day if the yellow is not all gone... I even did the 65EXE keyboard while it was intact in the case. Just do not use too much developer on it as you don't want to saturate the keyboard. Only thin coats on are needed to paint on the parts...

The old 65XE looks amazing ! I have an Mega STE keybord lying here that is as yellow as your 65XE was. It's worth saving because
it works okay but looks terrible. Also the housing of the Mega is as yellow as cheese. I was thinking of painting the casing of the
keyboard and houseing black, but that still leaves me with some very yellow key's.

Is there any info about what is in the Clairol 40 ? Maybe the label gives it away an we can look for alternatives ?
It's worth the effort...
http://bonus.home.xs4all.nl/
2 x Falcon 030 - a mint Atari TT - Mega STE - 2x STE - 1x Mega 2 - 2x STFM - 1 x STF - 3x SC1224 - 2x SM124 - 1x SM125 2x Portofolio+interface
- 3x 1435 monitor - 1 x Ult.Ripper cardridge - Mega 1,2,and 4 ( just to much Atari stuff)

matt
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby matt » Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:41 am

On the weekend I bought ingredients to do this, but it will be a week or so before I get a chance to do it.

Clairol 40 Developer Creme is a brand name for a product that is made by a lot of companies for the purpose of bleaching hair. The one I bought is by somebody else altogether. The key things to look for are: 40 volume (12% hydrogen peroxide) and that's about it. Any hair/beauty supplier should have many versions in stock. I had about 6ft of different products on one aisle to choose from! Check yellow pages or google maps for your local store.

here's a sample google search

matt

simbo

Postby simbo » Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:44 pm

its all a bit gay searching the womens hair products

when you can just ask any decent chemist to make the solution - without the softeneing agents and xyz extras
hypo is used as an agent for many people for other than dying hair why pay more than £2 4euros for 500ml??
this is the going rate...
and polute the planet...
sterilisation spring to mind of catherters etc... ask for hypo-sol-12%BV

so a week solution 12% by weight in water is just as good
and will cost buttons for 500ml .. and no waiting in cues of girlies... and footballers...

in the chemical supplier i can buy a 100% hypo winchester for £7 + vat

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:07 pm

simbo wrote:its all a bit gay searching the womens hair products

exactly why I did not ask about this at the cosmetics counters.
However, currently in Asia a lot of guys are colouring / bleeching their hair, it's a fashion thing.
They are younger teenager.
A 40+ guy asking would draw some looks. :lol:

catmando
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby catmando » Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:57 pm

Does this in any way affect the print on the keyboard keys?
Atari Falcon Tos 4.04 | 14mb | IDE CF 2GB
Atari STE Tos 1.62 | 4mb | HxC Slim SD 8GB
Atari STE Tos 1.62/2.06 | 4mb | Floppy A-B Mod | IDE SD 4GB
Atari STFM
Android Devices (Running Hataroid and SToid)

Atari Forum Wiki - Use it before asking

Dal
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Dal » Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:16 pm

I looked at this a while ago and found this article to be the most comprehensive.

http://www.vintagecomputing.com/index.php/archives/189

To summarise, it describes the possible causes of discolouration to be either UV light reacting to the flame retardents in the plastic and/or a natural breakdown of the plastic when it reacts to oxygen over a long period of time.

It mentions Hydrogen Peroxide based treatment near the bottom of the article but suggests that it may only prove to be a temporary solution meaning that it is likely the discolouration will occur again. This would indicate that the plastic is indeed breaking down and 'could' mean that although it looks better after treatment, you could potentially be speeding up the breakdown of the plastic (as the Hydrogen peroxide will act as an abrasive). So repeatitive applications of H2O2 based treatments probably isn't advised.

Of course we will not know for sure until a few years down the road when we can compare 'retrobrite' machines to untouched ones..
TT030: 4MB/16MB + Crazy Dots, Mega"SST" 12, MegaSTE, STE: Desktopper case, IDE interface, UltraSatan (8GB + 512Mb) + HXC floppy emulator. Plus some STE's/STFM's

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:34 pm

My 1996 US Robotics modem was totally yellow and brittle. So brittle that when it drop it shattered.
I hope the Atari case is not like this.

simbo

Postby simbo » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:41 pm

best too add a few coats of art fixer spray after bleaching them...
and once its added then sit them in the sun
it slows down both processes to the point that intense uv treatment wont 'scortch' the plastics surface
and cause problems with layers
tip is plenty of water rinses after treatment maybe rinse three times
let the cases dry inbetween
also
when doing it too retros stuff
do all the cases at once to avoid any more than needed enviromental and cash wise impact
chemicals arent cheep nor is polution

you can fully arrest the process using white vinigar as a wash ... and plenty of water

simbo

Postby simbo » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:43 pm

best too add a few coats of art fixer spray after bleaching them...
and once its added then sit them in the sun
it slows down both processes to the point that intense uv treatment wont 'scortch' the plastics surface
and cause problems with layers like pools etc of different colours
tip is plenty of water rinses after treatment maybe rinse three times
let the cases dry inbetween and mix the chemicals well
also

when bleaching retros stuff
do all the cases at once to avoid any more than needed enviromental
and cash wise impact
chemicals arent cheep nor is polution

you can fully arrest the process using white vinegar as a wash ... and plenty of water

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:00 am

And that's normal household bleach will do?
Or do I need to get those stuff from the hair dresser.... hair bleaching agent etc?

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:01 am

simbo wrote:you can fully arrest the process using white vinegar as a wash ... and plenty of water

That's arresting bleaching process, not the yellowing. right?

Edit: ok... way too early for my brain. Bleach = alkaline, vinegar = acid. So yes. it will stop the processing. Ta.

buckfast
Atarian
Atarian

Postby buckfast » Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:41 pm

Hello everyone,

Sorry to bring this up again but I have just bought the ingredients to make some retr0brite.

After reading the posts here, and before I go ahead and cover my ST case with goo, I just want to clear a couple of thing up and give myself some confidence.

1. Would it be best to remove the ST badge? Would heating it up with a hair drier then gently easing it away from the case do the job?

2. Do I use the same solution to treat the keys or will it wreck them?

I have bought 35% Hydrogen Peroxide will this do the job? (I have goggles and chemical resistant gloves for safety)

I have no UV light source so I was thinking of coating the case then leaving it on the window sill. The problem is our summer has not been very sunny so far - will it still provide enough UV light?

Sorry for the questions but hope someone can help.

Social Media

Return to “Guides”