STOS Coders - Atari ST, new Facebook group.

STOS-related stuff in here please

Moderators: simonsunnyboy, Mug UK, Zorro 2, Moderator Team

OverlordMRK
Retro freak
Retro freak

STOS Coders - Atari ST, new Facebook group.

Postby OverlordMRK » Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:06 am

Hi all,

For those who are on Facebook, both myself and Francois Lionet have set up a new Facebook group called STOS Coders - Atari ST.

Now over 50 members and still rising within the first day of launching :) please come join us!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/598514873840392/

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Re: STOS Coders - Atari ST, new Facebook group.

Postby joska » Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:41 am

Good initiative, but why the useless Facebook when we already have proper Atari-forums like this one and atari-age? Facebook is completely useless as a discussion forum, not only because it's UI sucks but mostly because information gets lost and can never be retrieved again.
Jo Even

Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:00 am

joska wrote: information gets lost and can never be retrieved again.

I am sure Cambridge Analytica have a copy of it. :lol:
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63/CTPCI+ATI+RTL8139+USB 512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff for sale - click here for list

damanloox
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby damanloox » Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:06 am

joska wrote:Good initiative, but why the useless Facebook when we already have proper Atari-forums like this one and atari-age? Facebook is completely useless as a discussion forum, not only because it's UI sucks but mostly because information gets lost and can never be retrieved again.

:cheers:

lp
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby lp » Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:37 am

wongck wrote:
joska wrote: information gets lost and can never be retrieved again.

I am sure Cambridge Analytica have a copy of it. :lol:

More precisely, Cambridge Analytica now has a list of 50+ people able to tolerate line numbers. ;)

thomas3
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby thomas3 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:35 am

joska wrote:Good initiative, but why the useless Facebook when we already have proper Atari-forums like this one and atari-age? Facebook is completely useless as a discussion forum, not only because it's UI sucks but mostly because information gets lost and can never be retrieved again.

Seconded. Besides, it also helps being on forums with people doing innovative things in other languages. The stuff I've been having fun with recently has directly come from previous work by the ASM and GFA dudes here :cheers:

In saying that, I can't believe there are that many people still interested in the language! That's awesome!

OverlordMRK
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby OverlordMRK » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:52 am

Yes thomas3, exactly, still the interest there it seems! :)

I am aware of this regarding buried posts and the UI - that was something I was already taking into consideration when setting it up. I know that the two (forums and Facebook) work very differently. I just wanted to explore that "what-if", see what comes of it. It's been pretty good at the moment, hopefully it will continue in a positive way.

It seems to be getting a good reception and people are loving the idea so far tbh. Quite a few people involved in the world of STOS back in the day are appearing there now and that is great to see.

I think it will work nicely as a kind of supplemental thing to the forums, forums are good for keeping things archived and accessible, I absolutely agree 100%. It wasn't intended to be any huge statement to humanity, just a bit of fun, and a nice way for people to talk about their days with STOS, share code, give a quick post about something they are working on, show photos, etc. It's got a certain dynamic about it that's different to a forum I think, and that was what I was interested in exploring.

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:11 am

OverlordMRK wrote:I think it will work nicely as a kind of supplemental thing to the forums

I posted my views on the facebook groups in this thread.
Jo Even

Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

OverlordMRK
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby OverlordMRK » Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:25 am

Completely see your viewpoint, but there's only one STOS group. There were none before that, I'm doubtful there will be many others. I've asked people to keep it STOS related. Don't worry, I can see *exactly* where you are coming from regarding how there's a mirror universe and some parts of that mirror don't meet because of people's past issues, etc. I saw it all within other scenes I was involved with in the past. I've already seen that happen with old friends added on fb, none of which I have anything to do with anymore either because of that. Hopefully this group should be pretty positive, I can't see anyone there getting angsty at all. The people there so far, are frankly far too intelligent for most of that.

simonsunnyboy

Postby simonsunnyboy » Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:28 am

We also have a GFABASIC group at FB totally supplemental to the forum here. I don't see the problem...if you don't use Facebook, there is noone to force you to join its groups. That is totally up to the user. Let the users decide.
Simon Sunnyboy/Paradize - http://paradize.atari.org/

Stay cool, stay Atari!

1x2600jr, 1x1040STFm, 1x1040STE 4MB+TOS2.06+SatanDisk, 1xF030 14MB+FPU+NetUS-Bee

OverlordMRK
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby OverlordMRK » Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:42 am

Exactly simonsunnyboy, thank you!! To me it just made sense to try it, seeing as STOS in the forums seemed very quiet lately anyway. Ironically, it was partly what sparked the initiative in the first place. I have paid nothing for this either!! ;)

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:57 am

I'm sorry, but these groups are not "supplemental". They are REPLACEMENTS for the forums, and bad ones. It might look like they "bring people together", but they don't. They fragment our small community. And the worst part is that the knowledge in these posts can not be retrieved later. If you're a new STOS-user in 2021, forget about finding anything usable or interesting from 2018 in these groups. But in 2021 you can still search usenet groups back to 1990, and atari-forum/atari-age back to their first posts.

So there's little activity in the STOS-forum here. But you managed to find 50 people interested in STOS in one day, why not direct them to this forum and spark some life to it?

<rant>Facebook is bad. It creates jerk circles where everybody agrees and never learns (or want to learn!) anything new. You're never challenged on Facebook - it only shows you the music, movies, TV-shows, political views and "facts" you already like. Someone disagrees with you on Facebook? Block him, and you don't have to reconsider your views. Facebook quickly learns to not only block this person, but all posts with similar contents and views.

It's scary, and something that should not be supported.</rant>
Jo Even

OverlordMRK
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby OverlordMRK » Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:13 am

Well like I said, Facebook has a very different dynamic. I could never have gotten 50 people into this forum like that, and I doubt if all 50 would migrate, because it simply doesn't work in the same way. I think it triggers emotional responses within people differently, I am seeing people kindof re-activate/revitalise their interest in STOS in this group that would never have come to this forum. That in itself is an interesting thing to watch, and great to see. The most important thing for me over time, is to gather up/document what is happening and responsibly upload/send the files over to various archives. Either way, I can see we're going to have to agree to disagree. I always try my best to remain respectful to people, no matter how different our views may be. Peace out.

charles
10 GOTO 10
10 GOTO 10

Postby charles » Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:53 am

what was wrong with the old group? why new stos group?
atari is my lifestyle,not a hobby.
HOLD ON ! ! !,
Im printing unreadable characters ...!

mlynn1974
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby mlynn1974 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:18 pm

I personally don't use Facebook at all. I never have. But I like STOS and I wish I had more time to write programs using it!

I'll contribute and watch the STOS forum thread on Atari-forum but I don't want to sign up or buy into Facebook at all.
Still got, still working: Atari 4Mb STe, 520STFM, 2.5Mb STF.
Hardware: Cumana CSA 354, Ultimate Ripper, Blitz Turbo, Synchro Express II (US and UK Versions).

Social Media

Return to “STOS”