STOS and digitized sound samples?

STOS-related stuff in here please

Moderators: simonsunnyboy, Mug UK, Zorro 2, Moderator Team

STGuy
Atarian
Atarian

STOS and digitized sound samples?

Postby STGuy » Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:26 pm

I have a quick question about STOS and digitized sound samples. I recently purchased a complete STOS package (new, never used) for $.99 and I was wondering if you could somehow use digitized sounds from a different source. I have an ST Replay by Microdeal and I would like to make my own sound effects / music. Is this supported by STOS or is it limited to the sound effect / music creator supplied on the Accessory disk?

STGuy
Atarian
Atarian

Re: STOS and digitized sound samples?

Postby STGuy » Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:24 pm

I decided to do a search and found what I was looking for:

'SoundFX' v1.5 is an STOS accessory which allows complex sound effects to be created and saved for inclusion into an STOS program

http://stos.atari.st/s.htm

:mrgreen:

bullis1
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby bullis1 » Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:26 pm

There are quite a few STOS add-ons that allow you to play all kinds of sounds of your own.

However, I can't remember any off the top of my head.

Check out this website, I think it will have the info you need:
http://stos.atari.st/

EDIT: Well, you beat me to it while I was typing.
Member of the Atari Legend team

STGuy
Atarian
Atarian

Postby STGuy » Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:35 pm

bullis1 wrote:There are quite a few STOS add-ons that allow you to play all kinds of sounds of your own.

However, I can't remember any off the top of my head.

Check out this website, I think it will have the info you need:
http://stos.atari.st/

EDIT: Well, you beat me to it while I was typing.

I still appreciate the response! I really look forward to using STOS and the extensions.

Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mug UK » Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:21 pm

There will be a few STOS guys coming over to this forum in the next few days when the STOS User Group decamps from Yahoo Groups and moves onto here .. plenty of people to ask advice from :)
My main site: http://www.mug-uk.co.uk - slowly digging up the bits from my past (and re-working a few): Atari ST, Sega 8-bit (game hacks) and NDS (Music ripping guide).

I develop a free Word (for Windows) add-in that's available for Word 2007 upwards. It's a fix-it toolbox that will allow power Word users to fix document errors. You can find it at: http://www.mikestoolbox.co.uk

bullis1
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby bullis1 » Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:29 pm

muguk wrote:There will be a few STOS guys coming over to this forum in the next few days when the STOS User Group decamps from Yahoo Groups and moves onto here .. plenty of people to ask advice from :)

Whoa excellent news! Here's a preemptive welcome to those guys.

STGuy
Atarian
Atarian

Postby STGuy » Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:57 am

muguk wrote:There will be a few STOS guys coming over to this forum in the next few days when the STOS User Group decamps from Yahoo Groups and moves onto here .. plenty of people to ask advice from :)

Nice! I look forward to them joining.

sgm
Atariator
Atariator

Postby sgm » Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:59 am

STGuy wrote:I have a quick question about STOS and digitized sound samples. I recently purchased a complete STOS package (new, never used) for $.99 and I was wondering if you could somehow use digitized sounds from a different source. I have an ST Replay by Microdeal and I would like to make my own sound effects / music. Is this supported by STOS or is it limited to the sound effect / music creator supplied on the Accessory disk?

I never really got into the whole music/sound creator with STOS because my brain did not understand it, its probably ok for those who understand music though.
It won't let you play sounds from another source but you can use the Maestro Extension (sometimes comes with a sampling cart) to record you own samples (mono only) from your stereo for example. You need at least 2 Meg of RAM if you want to record more than a few seconds though, I never used it much but IIRC I could record 20-30 seconds of samples with 2.5Meg RAM. Since I gave MugUK my ST last year I can't use the sampling cart any more as it does not appear to work on the Falcon.

Steve.

P.S.
Greetings all from a Yahoo group member, I have not been able to work with STOS for a couple of years and while I am probably not that good with general STOS stuff when compared to fellow Yahoo group members I have done quite a bit of STOS 3D stuff so I can probably help out there if...
a) I can remember it
b) anyone else is brave enough to try it, most peole give up! - 3D really needs a Falcon though as the ST is too slow for more than a couple of small objects. at a time.

Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mug UK » Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:07 pm

Welcome aboard fellow Jagfest personage (and donator of ST's!) :)

Most Iever did with STOS was some work on converting simple effects from STOS into GFA for some disk magazine or other but not found the disks since so no idea how far I got :)

The group will be up and running very soon (hopefully by tonight) and everyone from the old group can post in the new area.
My main site: http://www.mug-uk.co.uk - slowly digging up the bits from my past (and re-working a few): Atari ST, Sega 8-bit (game hacks) and NDS (Music ripping guide).

I develop a free Word (for Windows) add-in that's available for Word 2007 upwards. It's a fix-it toolbox that will allow power Word users to fix document errors. You can find it at: http://www.mikestoolbox.co.uk

STGuy
Atarian
Atarian

Postby STGuy » Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:13 pm

sgm wrote:
STGuy wrote:I have a quick question about STOS and digitized sound samples. I recently purchased a complete STOS package (new, never used) for $.99 and I was wondering if you could somehow use digitized sounds from a different source. I have an ST Replay by Microdeal and I would like to make my own sound effects / music. Is this supported by STOS or is it limited to the sound effect / music creator supplied on the Accessory disk?

I never really got into the whole music/sound creator with STOS because my brain did not understand it, its probably ok for those who understand music though.
It won't let you play sounds from another source but you can use the Maestro Extension (sometimes comes with a sampling cart) to record you own samples (mono only) from your stereo for example. You need at least 2 Meg of RAM if you want to record more than a few seconds though, I never used it much but IIRC I could record 20-30 seconds of samples with 2.5Meg RAM. Since I gave MugUK my ST last year I can't use the sampling cart any more as it does not appear to work on the Falcon.

Steve.

I appreciate the heads up! I'll look into the Maestro Extension for STOS.

Any information you can share with us regarding STOS would be greatly appreciated. I am very interested in STOS and I look forward to tinkering around with the language. I've been browsing the internet for extensions and found a resource that offers just about everything you could possibly need for STOS. Plus, I am interested in STOS 3D, so I am able and willing to absorb anything you may be willing to post on the subject. :)

Welcome aboard!

sgm
Atariator
Atariator

Postby sgm » Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:55 am

STGuy wrote:I appreciate the heads up! I'll look into the Maestro Extension for STOS.

Just to clarify it is Maestro Plus that has the sampling cartridge, plain Meastro is just the extension and some example samples.
I am interested in STOS 3D, so I am able and willing to absorb anything you may be willing to post on the subject. :)

The 3D commands themselves are generally quite easy to follow, producing the objects can be a pain but good preperation is the key as unfortunately, you are limited to 1 of 8 colour combination per block and 8 block per object so you need to plan out the size, shape and dimentions of each block that makes up an object to get it looking as close to what you want as possible.
I did spend quite a bit of time converting the STOS 3D Manual to web pages in which I listed a few corrections and added some hopefully clearer explanations of some things as a result of my experiances along with a new section explaining how to prepare and use blocks for both positioning and sizing/shaping other blocks while creating objects which is not an easy thing to explain in text, if I can find it I will try converting to PDF and postinging it somewhere.
Inside out blocks can be cool but they are a little mindbending.

bullis1
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby bullis1 » Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:56 pm

sgm wrote: STOS 3D stuff...

I've always been interested in STOS 3D, but the few things I've seen that were made with it weren't that great. Do you have any better STOS 3D productions, either your own or others', that you would suggest I look at?

Also, I hope you do get your STOS 3D docs up somewhere. I'd love to have them!

Social Media

Return to “STOS”