New STOS editor

STOS-related stuff in here please

Moderators: exxos, simonsunnyboy, Mug UK, Zorro 2, Moderator Team

lp
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Re: New STOS editor

Postby lp » Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:46 am

The .net stuff required is about 23mb if I recall. It would be much easier if you just provide a link to the m$ site in your documentation somewhere, so one can obtain the installation package on their own. I just installed the 2.0 framework so I can run .net apps last week by pure luck. Obtained a used laptop recently.

bullis1
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby bullis1 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:46 pm

darklight wrote:I'll have a go at converting the Starfield & 3D extensions, and ML & MIsty are done. Are you interested in helping out with beta (alpha?) testing bullis1?

I would love to help with testing! Unfortunately, I can't though because I don't have an XP machine anywhere :(

Desty
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Desty » Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:13 pm

I'd like to try it, but am running a Mac, so can't use .NET stuff. I wonder how portable C# is with that Mono runtime tho?
tá'n poc ar buile!

sh3-rg
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby sh3-rg » Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:59 pm

darklight, any progress made recently? I'm starting a new little project soon, would be nice to be able to do that & test at the same time ;)

kevin
fxXxings to disco mobile

lp
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby lp » Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:45 am

In a move to avoid having to pay for virus protection or losing all my data eventually, I replaced XP with Ubuntu on my laptop. My other machine is a mac so now I can't do any testing. I wanted to, but I just don't trust windows, it had to go.

MiggyMog
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby MiggyMog » Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:38 pm

LAMEBLIT.ASC

Extension use:-

BLITTER.EXG
COMPACT.EXA
COMPILER.EXC
LINK1.EXQ
LINK2.EXR
LINK3.EXS
MISTY.ECM
MISTY.EXM
STARS.EXH
STE_EXTN.EXF
TRACKER.EXT
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
('< o o o o |''| STM,2xSTFM,2xSTE+HD,C-Lab Falcon MK2+HD,Satandisk,Ultrasatandisk,Ethernat.

MagikGimp
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby MagikGimp » Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:37 am

lp wrote:In a move to avoid having to pay for virus protection or losing all my data eventually, I replaced XP with Ubuntu on my laptop. My other machine is a mac so now I can't do any testing. I wanted to, but I just don't trust windows, it had to go.

You're talking out of your arse mate I'm afraid. For a start AVG is a free virus checker (with real-time scanning if you really think you need it) which takes me to my second point- the chances of you catching a virus these days, let alone one that will start erasing your data, is minuscule. You catch viruses from e-mail attachments and literally downloading and running them yourself (I admit, I've done that through P2P and I was stupid to do so but then you should never run an executable on any operating system, including GEM, that you know nothing about). As made clear, the second can be avoided by not being an eejut, and the first is scanned by AVG before you're able to even read it, if not by your ISP before-hand too.

What you're more likely to be infected with nowadays is Spyware which is more of an annoyance rather than a threat; Adaware and many other free applications will get rid of that stuff (which you should only need to do once a month). To say you can't trust Windows is archaic I'm afraid. As long as you adhere to the three precautionary measures you'll be plain-sailing: Windows Updates, Firewall (free one comes with XP which does the job) & Malware protection (that's Spyware, viruses, the whole nasty caboodle which can be managed for free).

Anyway, to actually give you some help rather than just continue to knock your mistrust with a certain Microsoft product, I advise that you dual-boot Linux and Windows using one of the Linux boot-loaders which allows you to choose whichever OS you want at start-up. It's not hard to do as long as you read things carefully believe me and will give you the best of both worlds. Linux is great but does involve a certain amount of reinventing the wheel; one thing is that a lot of other people find this to be and so dual-booting is documented heavily amongst the myriad of websites dedicated to the myriad of Linux distros.

Good luck with it all and I hope you can get back to what you wanted to be doing in the first place. Feel free to PM me if you need more help.
Want to preserve all those old floppy disks? Then head on over to P. Putnik's Floppy Image page!

Desty
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Desty » Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:25 am

I use a Mac by preference, and have been using Linux on and off since 1998, but to be honest, I never had any major problems with Windows ever since XP, nor have I ever been infected by a virus iirc (although I had to come and disinfect my uncle's PC at least 3 times - I don't even wanna know what sites he's been on).

In my experience, Windows sucked wet farts up until XP (I used 98 for a couple of years and came to accept its daily crashes). But XP is a fairly decent operating system and worth a look. And if you're a programmer, there's very little likelihood of getting infected by a virus if you use your common sense and training.
tá'n poc ar buile!

lp
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby lp » Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:30 am

MagikGimp wrote:
Good luck with it all and I hope you can get back to what you wanted to be doing in the first place. Feel free to PM me if you need more help.

Let my ISP do it? I shut all that crap off. I don't want my ISP deciding what is unsuitable for me to view. Already had problems with that and it would quarantine important e-mails and then e-mail me that other e-mails were quarantined. I find that whole scenario moronic and it only shows how screwed up windows is.

I know plenty of people who try the "free routine" and eventually get burned. No thanks. I don't have time to waste on it. Or have the performance killed because some background process is constantly checking files.

I bought the laptop for the hardware. XP happened to be on it and I installed .NET to test some other program. Then this STOS thing came along, which I have to say might actually make STOS usable. However, I am not going back to windows for STOS. It isn't that important to me. I can use the old STOS on the emulator (Hatari) running on linux without windows and virus/spyware (whatever you wish to label it) wasting my performance. The laptop feels a lot snappier with linux anyway.

MagikGimp
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby MagikGimp » Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:42 am

There are Windows emulators for Linux now that I remember; one called WinE (Windows Emulator) springs to mind. These would allow you to use XP if you ever needed it and be protected behind whatever security measures you use on Ubuntu.
Want to preserve all those old floppy disks? Then head on over to P. Putnik's Floppy Image page!

Desty
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Desty » Sat Mar 29, 2008 12:01 pm

There's also Mono, a cross-platform, free C#/.NET platform, but I doubt it's very trivial to port stuff from MS .NET to the Mono platform. Still, it's worth thinking about... I might start playing with Mono since I've never used C# before and it sounds like fun.
tá'n poc ar buile!

belboz
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby belboz » Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:23 pm

Lonny,

Load VirtualBox or vmware server on your Ubuntu box and run Windows when you have to have access to some Windows app.

You could also try Wine first and fall back on Virtualbox or vmware if it doesn't work. The stos editor being worked on might run under Wine.

simonsunnyboy

Postby simonsunnyboy » Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:26 pm

Pretty pointless talk IMHO, if someone already decided to use somehing else and made his point clear, why bother?

Freedom applies to what programs and OSes to use as well...
Simon Sunnyboy/Paradize - http://paradize.atari.org/ - STOT: http://www.npoi.de/stot/

Stay cool, stay Atari!

1x2600jr, 1x1040STFm, 1x1040STE 4MB+TOS2.06+SatanDisk, 1xF030 14MB+FPU+NetUS-Bee

Jabber: simonsunnyboy@atari-jabber.org

Desty
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Desty » Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:33 pm

simonsunnyboy wrote:Pretty pointless talk IMHO, if someone already decided to use somehing else and made his point clear, why bother?

Freedom applies to what programs and OSes to use as well...

And using an emulation layer like WINE (which isn't too bad, although I've never tried it with .NET stuff) gives freedom to run many windows programs in Linux, so that's not pointless!
tá'n poc ar buile!

lp
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby lp » Sat Mar 29, 2008 5:32 pm

I'm quite aware of all the "ways to run windows without a real windows machine". Also dual booting. etc.. I chose not to use windows. I have no windows apps that I must use.

To venture back on topic:
I think the new STOS editor is brilliant, clever, and long over due in concept. However, implementing it in windows/.net is less than desirable for some. A native Atari version would rock. I can't see bouncing from an emulator back and forth to a windows STOS editor or worse, transporting the code to a real Atari for testing. I'm simply not motivated to keep XP around for such an awkward arrangement. I always found the old style line numbers a huge turn off, so I never really was a fan of STOS either. I was using ACTION! (by OSS) on the Atari 8-bits before I even bought my first ST and freed myself of line number thinking. :)
Last edited by lp on Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

darklight
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby darklight » Mon Mar 31, 2008 6:12 am

sh3-rg wrote:darklight, any progress made recently? I'm starting a new little project soon, would be nice to be able to do that & test at the same time ;)

kevin

Sorry mate all work is on hold for the next couple of weeks (and has been for the last couple too) - I've got family over from the UK, and its a full time job keeping them entertained, let alone my regular full time job, etc... I'm aiming to distribute the program to any testers end of april / early may.

On the topic of operating systems - for v1.0 this program will be .net / windows only. If you can run it on wine then great, but I'm making no guarantees. I'm definately interested in releasing it as open source, so maybe a mono version could be created - but that is in the future.
Storm Clouds over the Western Front - my WW1 2D dogfighting game for windows
2D Flight Sims - side scrolling aerial combat games

Trooper
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Trooper » Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:47 pm

Any progress on this project?

darklight
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby darklight » Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:41 pm

A little, but not for a while now.

I've started studying for microsoft certification, so there probably wont be any more work for a few months...

I might as well let everybody know the location of the alpha version of StosDEV: http://www.simonhazelgrove.com/stosdevinstaller.msi - Its a 500KB installer. If you dont have .net framework 2.0 or above, it will prompt you to download that first, 3.5 is around 60Mb I think.

MIggymog & sh3gar were helping me test, and they did report an error that was stopping most programs from loading. If I were you I'd probably make a copy of any important stos progs before you try to edit them with this program.

Extensions supported: MIsty, missing link, stars, ste, blitter, compact, extra, ninja tracker, ste, tracker

Not implmented in this version: any decent error handling, support for decimal (i.e. 4.1456) / hex / binary numbers in code

Things I'd like to implement for this one day: working intellisense, a keyword help browser, a sprites / graphics editor / maybe some editors for other popular memory bank types...

darklight
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby darklight » Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:10 pm

No interest? For what it is worth, I've managed to edit & save my most complex programs, and they still run ok in STOS...

Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mug UK » Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:41 am

Keep at it when you can .. everyone on here has projects that start off with plenty of support and it seems to dribble away. Some of the stuff I said I'd get done ends up fitting in-between whatever the latest Xbox 360 game I'm playing :)
My main site: http://www.mug-uk.co.uk - slowly digging up the bits from my past (and re-working a few): Atari ST, Sega 8-bit (game hacks) and NDS (Music ripping guide).

I develop a free Word (for Windows) add-in that's available for Word 2007 upwards. It's a fix-it toolbox that will allow power Word users to fix document errors. You can find it at: http://www.mikestoolbox.co.uk

Champions_2002
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Champions_2002 » Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:51 am

Like MugUK said keep it up, im interested
A member of Atari Legend & Atarimania ST & 7800 department

PaulB
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby PaulB » Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:08 am

Count me in too. I thought it was a good idea!

darklight
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby darklight » Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:00 am

Definately not giving up on it - thats for sure! Just interested to hear if anyone has actually tried it, I guess. Thanks for the encouragement. :)

Desty
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Desty » Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:54 pm

I'd love to try it, but since my old Windows install died I've only got Mandriva, Ubuntu and OS X at home. I could try it at work but then I'd look like an even worse slacker than I already do :oops:
tá'n poc ar buile!

StickHead
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby StickHead » Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:51 pm

Very interested! Sounds great. :D Hands a bit full at the minute for STOS coding, but one day (hopefully soon) I hope to contribute to the ST homebrew scene. I was working on a Advance Wars clone at one point, but life took over. This prog looks very useful. Keep up the good work!
The Joy of STicks - YouTube - Blog - Twitter - Facebook
New Developments and old inspirations in Atari ST gaming.

Social Media

Return to “STOS”