Looking for some tools GCC / GDB and a bit of advice.

C and PASCAL (or any other high-level languages) in here please

Moderators: simonsunnyboy, Mug UK, Zorro 2, Moderator Team

sigmatau
Atarian
Atarian

Looking for some tools GCC / GDB and a bit of advice.

Postby sigmatau » Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:42 pm

Greetings, I'm looking for some development tools for the Atari ST currently I'm using cc68x with mon. I also use the devpac gui for ASM. I don't like these tools. cc68x is very limited It would be nice to have objdump / gcc / gdb / gas.

I'm also wondering if anyone has man pages of sorts and a nice linux style terminal. I'm on the Atari ST and I'm working on Steem Engine running tos104us.img / m68k.

I'm also curious if there's any atari ST development community's that exist on IRC.

Thanks,

ThorstenOtto
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Re: Looking for some tools GCC / GDB and a bit of advice.

Postby ThorstenOtto » Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:17 pm

There are ports of gcc available, but they only work on mint. And they are quite large, and slow compared to other compilers on the Atari, so i would not recommend using them natively on all but really fast hardware, like ct60 or firebee (i once compiled gcc by itself on Aranym with JIT, that took about 20h, the same task on linux takes 3min). gdb does not work anymore.

There are however cross-compilers available, for linux, windows and macos, from Vincent (gcc 4.6.4), and from me (also gcc 4.6.4, but also some newer versions,plus several libraries)

simonsunnyboy

Postby simonsunnyboy » Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:38 am

I suggest using a decent crosscompiler. Using mon or any Atari based debugger is also not necessary if you use STEEM. STEEM has a builtin debugger which is is said to top out all Atari native debug tools. IIRC most modern game cracks for the ST are done using the STEEM debugger.
Simon Sunnyboy/Paradize - http://paradize.atari.org/

Stay cool, stay Atari!

1x2600jr, 1x1040STFm, 1x1040STE 4MB+TOS2.06+SatanDisk, 1xF030 14MB+FPU+NetUS-Bee

mikro
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby mikro » Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:43 am

As a Devpac alternative, vasm (http://sun.hasenbraten.de/vasm) is way to go.

The most painful thing currently is debugging. You either has to rely on an emulator's abilities (Hatari, Steem) or do it the old school way (Devpac's MON etc). gdb used to work nicely with gcc-2.x compiled sources but that isn't the case anymore.

So if you have a C project, its debugging can be quite painful. Personally I try to debug stuff in Linux and then just take the final source and compile it as an Atari binary. Not always possible but if your code is modular enough, it is a way.

ThorstenOtto
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby ThorstenOtto » Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:06 am

For debugging i use ARAnyM's or Hataris NF_STDERR feature most of the time. It has the big advantage that you can use it from everywhere (even from interrupts), and that is does not mess up your Atari screen.

simonsunnyboy

Postby simonsunnyboy » Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:16 pm

I did something similar with Hatari, linking elaborate debug stubs to my Atari application which output via the native features.
I mainly used this for postmortem dumps and asserts.

See also viewtopic.php?f=51&t=29249
Simon Sunnyboy/Paradize - http://paradize.atari.org/

Stay cool, stay Atari!

1x2600jr, 1x1040STFm, 1x1040STE 4MB+TOS2.06+SatanDisk, 1xF030 14MB+FPU+NetUS-Bee

Social Media

Return to “C / PASCAL etc.”