AHCC walkthrough or guide?

C and PASCAL (or any other high-level languages) in here please

Moderators: exxos, simonsunnyboy, Mug UK, Zorro 2, Moderator Team

NGF
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

AHCC walkthrough or guide?

Postby NGF » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:37 pm

I have set up AHCC and was looking for some C coding on my ST, but I can't figure out how to get a .prg file from my little .c program I did. Is there some kind of guide for AHCC preferably since it's the one still supported ?
In worst case maybe some guide for PureC or maybe even TurboC (I actually managed to make a working .prg with this one)? Not sure which one of these are the best to use?
All these project stuff gives me a headache. I can compile all I want but the when I try make/link it only says "nothing to make/link".
I have tried to find the answer in the hypertext that was included with AHCC but this document seems to be for experienced programmers who already used PureC. :?
"4160" STE with Ultrasatan | Falcon 030 14MB with CF-reader | TT030 | STacy | 520STFM x 2 | 520ST x 2

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Re: AHCC walkthrough or guide?

Postby wongck » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:47 pm

:lol: Is this a target for the FAQ as well?

There are some Pure C doc mention in a posting
just 5 topics down from this one. :lol: :lol: :lol:
viewtopic.php?f=70&t=20112#p176023
viewtopic.php?f=70&t=13657&p=164750#p164741

Both leads to the same thingy finally.

Well, may be it's not AHCC but it's ought to bring you nearer to your PRG.
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63+CTPCI_ATI_RTL8139 14+512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff for sale - click here for list

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:10 am

NGF wrote:I have set up AHCC and was looking for some C coding on my ST, but I can't figure out how to get a .prg file from my little .c program I did. Is there some kind of guide for AHCC preferably since it's the one still supported ?

Isn't this documented in the AHCC documentation?

NGF wrote: In worst case maybe some guide for PureC or maybe even TurboC (I actually managed to make a working .prg with this one)?

If you managed to compile a working executable with TurboC (which is the same as PureC) then you can make it work with AHCC too. They all use the same project files.

NGF wrote: Not sure which one of these are the best to use?

AHCC or PureC. I like PureC, but there's no way to compile Coldfire binaries with it.

See if you can find Dan Wilga's PureC-guide. It explains things very well, I learned about PureC projects from that guide. PM me if you can't find it, as I'm pretty sure I have a copy on my Milan.
Jo Even

Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:41 am

joska wrote:See if you can find Dan Wilga's PureC-guide. It explains things very well, I learned about PureC projects from that guide.

Well... that's the thingy the 2 posts I included leads to.... :wink:
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63+CTPCI_ATI_RTL8139 14+512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI

NGF
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby NGF » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:39 am

Finally I managed to get both .prg and .tos output in PureC :D
But I had to do some serius hacking to default.prj, dunno if its just my version but it was completely unusable! What is e_gem.lib (it was in the default.prj) and what will happend if I don't have it (it's missing in my PureC)?
Seems to run fine without it but still..

Still I think its overcomplicated with .prj, the problems should be in the coding, not in making a perfect project file!

If the the only reason to use AHCC is for coldfire then I could stick to PureC for now.

Thanks everyone! :)
"4160" STE with Ultrasatan | Falcon 030 14MB with CF-reader | TT030 | STacy | 520STFM x 2 | 520ST x 2

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:58 am

NGF wrote:Finally I managed to get both .prg and .tos output in PureC :D
But I had to do some serius hacking to default.prj, dunno if its just my version but it was completely unusable! What is e_gem.lib (it was in the default.prj) and what will happend if I don't have it (it's missing in my PureC)?

You obviously don't have an original copy of PureC ;) e_gem.lib is the EGem library which was popular in Germany in the first half of the 90's. You can safely remove it.

NGF wrote:Still I think its overcomplicated with .prj, the problems should be in the coding, not in making a perfect project file!

PureC project files are very simple compared to almost any other C compiler on earth.

NGF wrote:If the the only reason to use AHCC is for coldfire then I could stick to PureC for now.

AHCC is supported and better than PureC in many ways. I prefer PureC because that's what I've been using since 1994 or so. But now that I do all my coding on the Firebee I've switched completely to AHCC.
Jo Even

Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:45 am

I like Pure C because of the integrated IDE with a debugger (Pure Debugger).
Been using it since mid 90s as well.
:angel:

Actually the PRJ file is very easy.
You need the start up stub, then your C source file and then the libraries.
You can add all the libraries in your LIB folder, it will not use them if your code don't use it.
However, if you specify a specific LIB, it has to be there (like EGEM in this case).

I also like EGEM as it is nice... look at the LZH Shell, that's EGEM GUI.

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:07 pm

wongck wrote:I also like EGEM as it is nice... look at the LZH Shell, that's EGEM GUI.

Yes, and it doesn't work properly in hi/truecolour modes.
Jo Even

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:14 pm

joska wrote:Yes, and it doesn't work properly in hi/truecolour modes.

I didn't use it for my programs so I do not know so.
I guess if I ever going to use a GEM library now, it would be Dom library.

Social Media

Return to “C / PASCAL etc.”