C and PASCAL (or any other high-level languages) in here please

Moderators: exxos, simonsunnyboy, Mug UK, Zorro 2, Moderator Team

Willsy
Atari User
Atari User

Hisoft Forth

Postby Willsy » Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:03 pm

Hi there

Today I received in the mail Hisoft Forth - still sealed, with disk and manuals! Lovely. I have a particular interest in Forth as I have written my own Forth system which works really nicely, so I thought I would give this a try.

However, I have not been able to track down a version of this on-line. I could just run it on my ST, but that would unpacking the machine and setting it up. I'd like to use an emulator in conjunction with the original manual.

So, does anyone have a copy of Hisoft Forth that I can run in an emulator, or post a link to page where I can get it (maybe it's on a cover disk somewhere, but so far, googling has revealed nothing).

Regards

daeghnao
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: Hisoft Forth

Postby daeghnao » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:30 am

Willsy wrote:So, does anyone have a copy of Hisoft Forth that I can run in an emulator, or post a link to page where I can get it (maybe it's on a cover disk somewhere, but so far, googling has revealed nothing).

I've checked through my own archives, and several online backwaters; I didn't find any disk images. There's always ftp://ftp.forth.org/pub/Forth/Compilers/native/misc/atari_st/ which contains a few other Forths, in case you want to compare lots of different ideas. It should be possible to image the disks yourself on a modern machine, given the right setup - or maybe someone nearby can help out?

nativ
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby nativ » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:49 am

I have HiSoft Forth ( opened ) I'll achive my disks and upload for your reference, will you be able to read the manual if you don't open it?

There was a complete FREE Forth system available for the Atari .... that I believe might still be in developement.

Thanks
Atari STFM 512 / STe 4MB / Mega ST+DSP / Falcon 4MB 16Mhz 68882 - DVD/CDRW/ZIP/DAT - FDI / Jaguar / Lynx 1&2 / 7800 / 2600 / XE 130+SD Card // Sega Dreamcast / Mega2+CD2 // Apple G4

http://soundcloud.com/nativ ~ http://soundcloud.com/nativ-1 ~ http://soundcloud.com/knot_music
http://soundcloud.com/push-sounds ~ http://soundcloud.com/push-records

Willsy
Atari User
Atari User

Postby Willsy » Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:37 pm

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I've just found out that British Telecom is blocking this website! It is now impossible to visit this site via BT Broadband. God knows why. The outfit that is hosting this site must have been blacklisted for some reason. I'm now browsing this site using my netbook and my mobile '3' connection. Weird.

Nativ, I've already opened the package, couldn't resist it. I wanted to get stuck into the manual! As far as transferring it from a real Atari to a PC, I have no idea how that is accomplished. Maybe X-MODEM or Z-MODEM the disks across via serial cable and terminal emulator? I'd have to get a zip package on the ST side first though, and of course, a terminal emulator. Chicken and egg!

So, if you can upload the disk image (it's a single disk image) I would really appreciate it.

Regards

charles
10 GOTO 10
10 GOTO 10

Postby charles » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:06 pm

hey whats new?
thats why this compter revolution will never happen ,
we are being regulated and held down!

SAME THING WITH OUR JAPANISE CHINESSE KOREAN COMPUTER
GURUS,
THEIR INTERNET IS BLOCKED FROM OURS

ANY OTHER PLACE???

ITS JUST SO WHOEVER CAN SIFT OUR DATA , PICK OUR BRAIN AND EASILY TAKE WHAT THEY WANT , WHEN THEY WANT

MAKE ME THINK RETROBUTION
BUT WHO WILL WILL THEY HURT/MAME IF ITS OUR IDEALS THEY ARE STEALING OR LIMITING?

CHARLES

OH BY THE WAY DID U FIND FORTH YET?
atari is my lifestyle,not a hobby.
HOLD ON ! ! !,
Im printing unreadable characters ...!

daeghnao
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby daeghnao » Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:51 am

Willsy wrote:As far as transferring it from a real Atari to a PC, I have no idea how that is accomplished.

1: If your PC has an internal floppy drive, it should be possible to image the disk directly on the PC. If you're running Linux, just copy from the disk device. On PCs, the advice is typically to use FloImg. The [url="http://www.atari-forum.com/wiki/index.php/Disk_Imaging"]site wiki[/url] has some advice on this.
2: If your PC has a USB floppy drive, it should still be possible to image the disk directly, although I'm not familiar with how to do it on Windows. On Linux, it would be the same as for an internal drive, just copying direct from the device.
3: I've managed to transfer from an ST over a null-modem connection to a Linux PC with zmodem before, but I forget exactly the setup I had. I imaged into a RAMdisk first, then transferred the file from there.

There's some ideas - there are more options if you're near to someone who can help or if someone can mail you disks to get started with.

Willsy
Atari User
Atari User

Postby Willsy » Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:26 am

Hi daeghnao

Thanks for the advice. I'm in 'laptop land' these days, and don't have a floppy drive. Having said that, it would probably be a good idea to get one, so I will order a USB floppy drive and give it a try. I have Ubuntu Linux on this latop, so I can copy from floppy, directly to my Windows partition whilst in Ubuntu.

Well, in theory, at least :wink:

Social Media

Return to “C / PASCAL etc.”