10 GOTO 10
10 GOTO 10

Re: pascal ascii characters

Postby charles » Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:33 am

oh i forgot the comedy..

This could happen to you.

I was barely sitting down when I heard a voice from the other stall saying:
'Hi, how are you?'

I'm not the type to start a conversation in the restroom but I don't know what got into me, so I answered, somewhat embarrassed,
'Doin' just fine!'

And the other person says:
'So what are you up to?'

What kind of question is that? At that point, I'm thinking this is too bizarre so I say:
'Uhhh, I'm like you, just traveling!'

At this point I am just trying to get out as fast as I can when I hear another question.
'Can I come over?'

Ok, this question is just too weird for me but I figured I could just be polite and end the conversation. I tell them
'No.......I'm a little busy right now!!!'

Then I hear the person say nervously...
'Listen, I'll have to call you back. There's an idiot in the other stall who keeps answering all my questions.’
The radioactive half-life : )
Atari is a lifestyle,not a hobby.
HOLD ON ! ! ! Im printing unreadable characters ...!

lp
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby lp » Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:21 am

pascal cleared up and eliminated any mysterious phulnders gfa amplified..
so i been with pascal ever since...
the text thing is still an issue , its not the text call only its all the gfa vdi arrays,
you've missed the point again ,i will tell you about this later lonny .

Please don't, I've explained over and over again via private mail, the old gfa mailing list, and now here. If you use the old original GFA compiler and libs, strange things do indeed go on, flickering cursor etc. Only way to get a clean GEM app is with all the latest GFA updates.

Interesting, because I use the VDI arrays in AtarIRC and GBE and even the VNC app, they work just fine.
Last edited by lp on Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:51 am

charles wrote:you mean the "gem " unit within pascal.....
USES GEM;

The GEM unit is just the AES and VDI bindings, just an interface to the operating system functions. ObjectGEM sits on top of that and provides a lot of high-level functionality not found in the AES itself. It simplifies things a lot when you're working with GEM under Pascal.

charles wrote:???????????????? i gonna google object gem too????????????????????

Have a look here.

charles wrote:
joska wrote:if you like to type BEGIN and END instead of { and } ;) This combination was popular in Germany in the late nineties, apps like CAB and Texel are written using ObjectGEM. You need to adapt to OO though.

? like #00 pascal string , null end? is right?

OO = Object Oriented. You need to understand and master this kind of programming if you want to use Pure Pascal and ObjectGEM.

charles wrote:i think , but not certain pascal uses 256 +1for left mbut...+
for right butt...or 3 for both..because if i use just like 200 for instant and i try to uses the keyboard to leave , nothing happens until i'm over 255..but you'll see in the demo , which of course has me nervous , ...we'll be here for a while.
i know the amount of clicks evnt multi needs???? , but wait ,
i need some back up evidence i provide...

Charles, you must stop messing around with GEM now and start learning programming. Because what you say here doesn't make any sense, and tells me that you don't have a clue on how to work with events. GEM is not tricky, but if you don't have the necessary skills it will be very difficult to learn. Trust me, you'll learn much quicker if you consentrate on learning how to program first. You must know about and understand the concepts used heavily in GEM, like events and objects. You must understand and master pointers and arrays and fundamental algorithms. Without this knowledge it will be very hard to do anything useful with GEM.
Jo Even

VanillaMiNT - Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

charles
10 GOTO 10
10 GOTO 10

Postby charles » Fri Feb 01, 2008 2:48 pm

OO = Object Oriented...ahhh okay , thats what i eventually do is write my functions or procedures into an $Include or object , i really enjoy keeping all the relevent commands together and then compile a unit out of them ..but i call it a library..things get confusing without documentation to such a structure, whos can identify what command exist and what variable to pass...i'll look into object gem eitther way

yes lonny the new gfa is great .but please stop harrassing me..i really enjoyed the
interactions gfa provided me the learning the mathmatics , easy execution of self written programs,but i don't see you telling people who use other languages to use gfa , just me .
i use pascal now , ask one of the c users why they don't use gfa ..maybe you like me but we have the same ideal , and thats too program the atari st computer.

Charles, you must stop messing around with GEM now and start learning programming. Because what you say here doesn't make any sense, and tells me that you don't have a clue on how to work with events.

yep ,well no a bit too...i just learn as they arrive ...the messag pipe was new to me ,
but you're right , i could read how to do a complete program a zillion times , but if in front of my computer practising it is a different thing when interacting with events..esecially the ones to bit check ...

hey guys check my gem program skeleton , its in a new thread....its based on an example included withthe pure pascal disk , i've taken the example apart , removed program parts so all i have left is a basic skeleton to learn how the window works in the desktop ..
ok check
thread hayz daze the gem skeleton
or somthing like that , i posted last night.
charles

lp
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby lp » Sat Feb 02, 2008 5:31 am

yes lonny the new gfa is great .but please stop harrassing me..i really enjoyed the
interactions gfa provided me the learning the mathmatics , easy execution of self written programs,but i don't see you telling people who use other languages to use gfa , just me .
i use pascal now , ask one of the c users why they don't use gfa ..maybe you like me but we have the same ideal , and thats too program the atari st computer.

:megaphone: I did not tell you to use GFA. You are mis-interpreting, as usual.

Imagine for a moment you wrote a midi program, released several updates, but someone decides to review version 1 and says it's bad, slow, crappy or whatever and fails to mention they were reviewing version 1. Would you be happy? I think not.

As the maintainer (along with Run Software) of the updated GFA, I am correcting your inaccurate evaluation of GFA. Every time you infer GFA is at fault, I'm going to respond stating the old stuff should not be used. The original package has known issues, it's like asking for trouble.

:megaphone: Again, I'm not telling you to use GFA. This is for the benefit of others who happen upon the thread.

A normal person would use the latest version of the package. People reading the thread are given the wrong impression of the current status of GFA. I've put a lot of effort into correcting many of the bugs, as has Ingo. Countless hours of assembler that is so far over your head you can't even imagine.

charles
10 GOTO 10
10 GOTO 10

Postby charles » Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:35 am

i'm sorry , perspectives out of wack while i'm trying to obtain knowledge.
advice was driving me crazy and i cracked under pressure ,like 5 people only hitting on a 100th of what i wanted to know , i could not breakfree from what seemed like endless torment...i went with the flow and followed the direction the post as the advice coming in so i would not offend any body or stop extra pointers or additional tips.

i have often thought if it has occurred to you , you can have your own programming language , rename it and include in description that it has ability to read gfa basic files.
that i would think most people would find of interest more than a re-produced or re-worked
gfa. because i bet you certainily have a lot of combined functions and procedures which could be encorparated into such a langauge,enhancing the basic system.

here is the good thing ,but who knows,now the truth is out in the air ,if people do look/search the posts for gfa .they now have the truth on gfa's applicable extent....our written experiences along with our first person perspective on things..i have said many times gfa is great and if i can sum it up in one phrase"is above or beyond,suiting the needs of any atari st programmer" .

i now see , you have to deferr people away from establishing false likelyhoods.

charles

lp
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby lp » Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:32 am

Apology accepted. You are lucky Ingo does not hangout at this forum, otherwise you probably would of had twice as many posts headed your way. lol

Had you stated, something a bit more accurate, like my outdated GFA setup just was not working for me. Well then, that is a lot clearer to all readers exactly what you are doing on your end.

There are several things you can do to improve the help you get.

1) Takes Nyh's advice, clear and well structured English is important in conveying your questions.
2) Try to avoid obscure pseudo-code, use proper code examples, as in actual code snippets from your source where you are having the problems.
3) When someone asks you a point blank question in return, like what os call, which opcode, parameters going in, etc.
Please, please answer it in a concise clear manner. This will save a lot of time and confusion. There are several well season coders here who more than likely know all the in/outs of various system calls. But when you fail to properly supply the answers, you end up going in circles. And we all know where a circle leads us, right back where we started . :)

Of course these could apply to anyone actually.

As for why I did not rename my editor, well it's simple. Some of my fondest memories are those with GFA, late nights coding til the break of dawn. I'm sure many know exactly how that is, when you make a discovery that has eluded you. Anyway, I prefer to keep the name, since it's 100% compatible with the token files, and people recognize the name. Many have started their coding hobbies with GFA and moved to "C" or assembler.

Social Media

Return to “C / PASCAL etc.”