GFA BASIC-related articles in here please

Moderators: exxos, simonsunnyboy, Mug UK, Zorro 2, Moderator Team

vodkasoda
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Version Control Software

Postby vodkasoda » Sun Nov 08, 2015 7:48 pm

Do any of you use this ?

Anything you would recommend to use or to steer clear of ?

simonsunnyboy

Re: Version Control Software

Postby simonsunnyboy » Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:27 pm

Depends on the platform, if you insist on running it on any Atari, you are probably locked to CVS which is antique and ugly.

PC side, more modern systems are great. If you are getting started to learn about them anyway, take git. It is powerful and has more features than most others. I personally have good experience with Subversion and Rational ClearCase (the latter being commercial).
Simon Sunnyboy/Paradize - http://paradize.atari.org/ - STOT: http://www.npoi.de/stot/

Stay cool, stay Atari!

1x2600jr, 1x1040STFm, 1x1040STE 4MB+TOS2.06+SatanDisk, 1xF030 14MB+FPU+NetUS-Bee

Jabber: simonsunnyboy@atari-jabber.org

vodkasoda
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby vodkasoda » Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:28 pm

I am looking at Git now, more complicated than I imagined, but I guess I'll get my head around it eventually !!!

mfro
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby mfro » Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:30 am

vodkasoda wrote:I am looking at Git now, more complicated than I imagined, but I guess I'll get my head around it eventually !!!

Good choice.

Actually, git is a lot easier and logical than any other VCS that I know of once you get used to it. All the other VCS have the concept of a central repository where clients connect to and handling that repository is completely different from working with local files. If you want to use VCS functionality, you always need a network connection to that repository server.

In git, everything is a repository and all of them are handled exactly the same. You just need to tell them how they connect to each other. If you don't have a network connection, you just continue to work on your local repository until you have one.

If you only want to work locally (recommended in the beginning), you get away with only a handful of git commands: git init (which makes your local directory an (empty) repository), git add (which tells git which files should be under version control) and git commit (which you'll frequently use to save away your changes).

vodkasoda
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby vodkasoda » Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:02 am

Thank you mfro, at the start I will definitely be only working locally & to be honest I'd be surprised if that ever changed, but I do need to use VC as it is so easy to lose track of some of these changes !!!

Mikefulton
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Mikefulton » Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:34 am

If you use GIT with a good GUI front-end like SourceTree, it takes a lot of the complication out. For Windows or web-related projects, I use it with Visual Studio, which has built-in support for it.

One of the nicer things about GIT is that it's very easy to have your local repositories synced up to a remote one.

metalages
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby metalages » Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:09 pm

Agree on the use of SourceTree.
On PC you also have Perforce which is free for small projects / personal use.

Eero Tamminen
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Eero Tamminen » Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:15 pm

mfro wrote:All the other VCS have the concept of a central repository where clients connect to and handling that repository is completely different from working with local files.

Git is nowadays most popular & best supported by source code hosting services, and in most cases fastest distributed version control system (DVCS). However, it's not the only DVCS:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compariso ... l_software

And it's not even the first DCVS. Linus originally wrote Git to replace commercial Bitkeeper (which Linux devs could originally use for gratis), but before Git there were already many other distributed version control systems. See:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distribut ... ol#History

Second most popular Open Source DCVS is probably Mercurial:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercurial

Mercurial is generally thought to be easier to learn than Git and is in functionality close to Git. Git being & getting more and more popular, makes it "safer" bet if one wants to learn only one DVCS. One can transition later from one to another as there are migration tools.

Either of them is hundred times better than not using any version control system or old central version control systems like CVS & SVN.

Cyprian
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Cyprian » Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:37 am

metalages wrote:Agree on the use of SourceTree.

I would avoid that tool. It pushed me to create an account on their website atlassian com.
And now I'm not able (and according to google not only me) to delete that account.
Jaugar / TT030 / Mega STe / 800 XL / 1040 STe / Falcon030 / 65 XE / 520 STm / SM124 / SC1435
SDrive / PAK68/3 / CosmosEx / SatanDisk / UltraSatan / USB Floppy Drive Emulator / Eiffel / SIO2PC / Crazy Dots / PAM Net
Hatari / Aranym / Steem / Saint
http://260ste.appspot.com/

dma
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby dma » Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:37 pm

If Eclipse IDE is used, i recommend EGit GIT client plugin for Eclipse.
It's pretty intuitive, got good history/compare views, and all GIT functions are accessible from its interface.

Mikefulton
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Mikefulton » Sat Mar 26, 2016 3:40 am

On PC you also have Perforce which is free for small projects / personal use.

I originally used CVS ages ago, then Microsoft's Visual SourceSafe for awhile, then when that went away I switched to Perforce.

I really liked Perforce. I particularly liked the fact that you could have one repository that mapped to a variety of different locations on your local system. But then I lost access to the repo server I was using and I ended up using GIT after that.

Ultimately, they're all pretty similar in most respects. Different in the details but not really in the overall. These days I think GIT is the choice because of the wide variety of different tools available to work with it.

Mikefulton
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Mikefulton » Sat Mar 26, 2016 3:41 am

Cyprian wrote:

I would avoid that tool. It pushed me to create an account on their website atlassian com.
And now I'm not able (and according to google not only me) to delete that account.

It asks if you want to.

Say "no" if you don't want to.

End of problem.

Seriously... I've setup SourceTree on several machines and never created an atlassian account.

Cyprian
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Cyprian » Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:43 am

I'm not able to pass that step without creating/logging to atlantis account:
SourceTree.gif

I downloaded ST from that site: https://www.sourcetreeapp.com/download/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jaugar / TT030 / Mega STe / 800 XL / 1040 STe / Falcon030 / 65 XE / 520 STm / SM124 / SC1435
SDrive / PAK68/3 / CosmosEx / SatanDisk / UltraSatan / USB Floppy Drive Emulator / Eiffel / SIO2PC / Crazy Dots / PAM Net
Hatari / Aranym / Steem / Saint
http://260ste.appspot.com/

Social Media

Return to “GFA BASIC”