GFA-Basic on a Falcon

GFA BASIC-related articles in here please

Moderators: exxos, simonsunnyboy, Mug UK, Zorro 2, Moderator Team

OmnimonGeek
Atarian
Atarian

GFA-Basic on a Falcon

Postby OmnimonGeek » Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:16 am

Can someone please give me some guidance here on how to get GFA-Basic running on a Falcon? My falcon is hooked up via the adapter cable to an LCD flat panel.

I have tried GFA-Basic 3.02, 3.5, 3.66 and 3.66TT. None of them work on that machine. Sometimes the menu at the top will come up, and even let me click load, and pick one of my GFA source files, then locks up when I click ok to load. Most of the time the screen just does funny things (like stays white) after the program is launched and appears to hang the machine. I have tried multiple resolutions.

if anyone can tell me the right settings/screen resolution/GFA basic version to get it running on my falcon it would be most appreciated.

thanks!

[ProToS]

Re: GFA-Basic on a Falcon

Postby [ProToS] » Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:31 am

have look to the Lonny Pursell huge work on gfa basic, try the GFA-Basic Editor Kit
http://www.bright.net/~gfabasic/
SeeU
[ProToS]/Facebook

Omikronman
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Omikronman » Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:39 am

I think there was no Falcon version of GFA basic, but Omikron.Basic is working on the Falcon since version 3.6 (interpreter) and 3.5 (compiler). It is also able to use the Falcon True Color modes and all screen modes of the Falcon.

lp
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby lp » Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:23 am

Firstly don't use anything below gfa v3.6. The original gfa editor should work in any mode that is 16 colors or less. Stick to standard resolutions though or the compatibility modes on the Falcon. GFA dropped support about the time the Falcon came along, so it don't like 256 colors and up. If it still don't work, then something is weird on your machine or conflicting with it.

There are also patches, like 'Bastard' and 'Ala Card' to solve the video issues. With 'Bastard' I can run the old editor at a glorious 256 colors at 1280x1024, even under MiNT. However I have switched to using my own GFA editor. The editor I made will work in any mode, on any video card, etc.

I have tried Omikron a few times myself, but it's a bit unstable (the editor) on my Hades. Lucky if it runs for more than 20 minutes. Perhaps it don't work well with MiNT? For me that's a show stopper, such things end up visting the trash icon. :)

Omikronman
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Omikronman » Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:31 am

I don´t know if there is a Basic that has been designed for the Hades. Perhaps try Omikron.Basic 5, it works in a GEM-environment and may probably be more happy with the Hades?

lp
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby lp » Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:44 am

Omikronman wrote:I don´t know if there is a Basic that has been designed for the Hades. Perhaps try Omikron.Basic 5, it works in a GEM-environment and may probably be more happy with the Hades?

That's the one I tried. Downloaded it from the website, but it seems to be outdated, and they have moved to the mac, version 8 or such for mac. There is no basic just for the hades, that would be a lot of dev time spent on a very small segment of the platform. :wink:

Omikronman
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Omikronman » Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:49 am

Oh, that´s bad. Berkhan Software told me that the development of the MacOs version of Omikron.Basic has also been stopped since Apple has made the change to the Intel Mac. There was a special version of Omikron.Basic for the Atari TT in the past. It would be interesting if that one is happy with the Hades.

lp
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby lp » Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:14 am

Maybe if someone writes them and asks nicely they might release it, since dev is halted.

Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mug UK » Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:23 pm

My main site: http://www.mug-uk.co.uk - slowly digging up the bits from my past (and re-working a few): Atari ST, Sega 8-bit (game hacks) and NDS (Music ripping guide).

I develop a free Word (for Windows) add-in that's available for Word 2007 upwards. It's a fix-it toolbox that will allow power Word users to fix document errors. You can find it at: http://www.mikestoolbox.co.uk

mjvans
Atari User
Atari User

Postby mjvans » Sun Feb 21, 2016 3:48 pm

I want to run GFA editor in 256 colors on the Falcon running on single TOS.
I tried Bastard 4 but it bugs with a Bastard fehler -800.
Where can I find that "Ala Card"? L.P. site is down?

lp
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby lp » Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:10 pm

I only had a link on my site to ala card, and that link is broken. :( It is not free anyway, far as I know the author never released it as free, its a limited demo if I remember correctly.

The wiki is now incorrect, my site moved to:
http://gfa.atari-users.net/atari/

However, it appears down right now and I need to poke the admin.

mjvans
Atari User
Atari User

Postby mjvans » Sun Feb 21, 2016 6:17 pm

Thanks LP. Is your editor for single tos or multitos?
Wiki link has changed from atari-forum to atari-wiki http://www.atari-wiki.com/index.php/GFA ... ari_Falcon
No problem with pay or shareware when it is worth it and supported by the authors. Remember it feels like I come from 1996 back in this world. Not used to the fact that many applications are abandoned ware now. We had to buy software in the past.
Found the shareware Ala Card on Milan Kovač site http://milan.kovac.cc/atari/software/?folder=/PROGRMNG
But it looks pretty useless in unregistered state. It uses only half the screen.
The Bastard is freeware and I found it here http://www.run-software.de/bastard.php
I will look again at the bastard it should work. I will try to read the f bastard manual :wink:

mjvans
Atari User
Atari User

Postby mjvans » Sun Feb 21, 2016 6:27 pm

It was simply the path in bastard.inf

lp
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby lp » Sun Feb 21, 2016 7:56 pm

mjvans wrote:Thanks LP. Is your editor for single tos or multitos?

It's designed for MiNT, it might work with multi-tos, but I never tested that. If using single-tos, stick to the original editor. ;)

Social Media

Return to “GFA BASIC”