"Insufficient memory" to load source file in MonST

All 680x0 related coding posts in this section please.

Moderators: simonsunnyboy, Mug UK, Zorro 2, Moderator Team

Desty
Atari God
Atari God

"Insufficient memory" to load source file in MonST

Postby Desty » Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:34 pm

Hello, I decided to return to coding on the Atari ST with Perihelion's 68k tutorials. At the moment I'm going through tutorial 6 which introduces MonST. It all seems fine so far except that I can't load the source code into the debugger alongside the binary; it produces an error message saying "Insufficient memory", even though the file is only 311 bytes long.

I thought it might be due to unexpected formatting of the assembly source without tabs, since I'm using vasmm68k_mot in Linux to cross-assemble, then running the resulting binaries in Hatari. However, the error message appears if I try to load one of the Devpac 3.1 example source files (demo.s). I'm using MonST 3.10.

Alternatively, is there something as powerful as MonST or better, that ideally has source-level debugging?
tá'n poc ar buile!

Cyprian
10 GOTO 10
10 GOTO 10

Re: "Insufficient memory" to load source file in MonST

Postby Cyprian » Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:37 am

Desty wrote:Alternatively, is there something as powerful as MonST or better, that ideally has source-level debugging?

yes,
Steem SSE debugger and Hatari debugger. Both much powerful than MonST.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/steems ... SSE%203.9/
https://download.tuxfamily.org/hatari/2.2.1/

Eero comment:
viewtopic.php?f=68&t=5423&p=384622#p384650
Lynx II / Jaugar / TT030 / Mega STe / 800 XL / 1040 STe / Falcon030 / 65 XE / 520 STm / SM124 / SC1435
SDrive / PAK68/3 / Lynx Multi Card / LDW Super 2000 / XCA12 / SkunkBoard / CosmosEx / SatanDisk / UltraSatan / USB Floppy Drive Emulator / Eiffel / SIO2PC / Crazy Dots / PAM Net
Hatari / Steem SSE / Aranym / Saint
http://260ste.appspot.com/

seedy1812
Atari User
Atari User

Postby seedy1812 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:02 am

Are you running on a 512K machine ?
Do you have any other programs loaded - eg accessories

Even though your file may only be 311 bytes it can still use up all memory. There is the bss section which does not need to be stored in the file but the memory is required when ran.

Desty
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Desty » Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:15 pm

Cyprian wrote:
Desty wrote:Alternatively, is there something as powerful as MonST or better, that ideally has source-level debugging?

yes,
Steem SSE debugger and Hatari debugger. Both much powerful than MonST.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/steems ... SSE%203.9/
https://download.tuxfamily.org/hatari/2.2.1/

Eero comment:
viewtopic.php?f=68&t=5423&p=384622#p384650

Great! I'm using Hatari, but haven't found an option in the docs for attaching a source file for source level debugging. Do you know a way?
tá'n poc ar buile!

neanderthal
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby neanderthal » Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:55 pm

You mean with like Ctrl-L ?It expects an atari executable file header and stuff.Not an ascii file as such.However the ascii version can be loaded into window 2 and 4 with A according to manual.Never had need for that myself tho.

Desty
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Desty » Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:21 pm

neanderthal wrote:You mean with like Ctrl-L ?It expects an atari executable file header and stuff.Not an ascii file as such.However the ascii version can be loaded into window 2 and 4 with A according to manual.Never had need for that myself tho.

Yes, that's the thing that seems to cause a problem with MonST. I guess it's not that important, especially if I assemble with debug symbols.
tá'n poc ar buile!

neanderthal
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby neanderthal » Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:28 am

Desty wrote:
neanderthal wrote:You mean with like Ctrl-L ?It expects an atari executable file header and stuff.Not an ascii file as such.However the ascii version can be loaded into window 2 and 4 with A according to manual.Never had need for that myself tho.

Yes, that's the thing that seems to cause a problem with MonST. I guess it's not that important, especially if I assemble with debug symbols.

Hehe,,had to test it myself,,was doing some stuff anyhows tonight..A desktop drop straight into monst with non executable made it just hang there(this was with mint and stuff tho),same with raw TOS with same file.
Quess they never put in any checker for sanity of fileheader when loading executables,funny that I never noticed it..lol
Then again use it for debuggin so.
The load ascii file could actually be handy at times,but is a simple text viewer by the looks of it.
And yea,assembling with symbols is very handy when checking out functions and so on.
Can always strip them out or reassemble without :)

Eero Tamminen
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Eero Tamminen » Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:52 pm

Desty wrote:Great! I'm using Hatari, but haven't found an option in the docs for attaching a source file for source level debugging. Do you know a way?

It's not really source level debugger in that sense. But debugger loads automatically debug symbols from the binary when you switch to it, shows them in disassembly and profiler output, i.e. you see your assembly labels, and can use them in breakpoints etc.

Social Media

Return to “680x0”