help with devpac 3

All 680x0 related coding posts in this section please.

Moderators: simonsunnyboy, Mug UK, Zorro 2, Moderator Team

MarkSandles
Atarian
Atarian

help with devpac 3

Postby MarkSandles » Mon May 14, 2018 11:17 pm

Hi all,

trying to fulfil a 30 year dream of actually programming something decent in 68000 asm...
Would appreciate some help trying to get to grips with some of the devpac 3 features...
I have the manual but sadly still doesn't seem enough..
I'm trying to load a program into mon.prg to debug..for now I've just tried to do it with the demo.s file in the examples folder..
so my exact steps I've taken...double click MON.PRG in bin folder that i have on my working disk that I made from devpac 3 main disk...
when faced with the prompt executable file to load... I've tried demo.s.....examples\demo.s....a:\examples\demo.s...
with no avail..
I've got debugger working by just selecting debugger from inside the devpac.prg program...is it just the same thing...

any help much appreciated

Thanks Mark

jury
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: help with devpac 3

Postby jury » Tue May 15, 2018 4:35 am

MarkSandles wrote:when faced with the prompt executable file to load... I've tried demo.s.....examples\demo.s....a:\examples\demo.s...
with no avail..
I've got debugger working by just selecting debugger from inside the devpac.prg program...is it just the same thing...

Demo.s is not an executable. As a quick start debugging for demo.s do:
- fire up Devpac 3
- load demo.s source
- assemble it ( could be done with Alt-A shortcut )
- if assembly goes fine, fire up debugger ( could be done with Alt-D shortcut )
- this way it should load up everything it needs by itself, so you will be presented with debugger panel set ready at the first line of demo.s source

MarkSandles
Atarian
Atarian

Postby MarkSandles » Tue May 15, 2018 8:43 am

thanks for the reply...
so what I've just tried now...I assembled some simple code..in the control option along top menus i made sure it was assembled into an executable PRG file.... now I've tried to load that into mon...again at prompt asking for file name i typed pr1.prg (the file name)...i get file not found...any ideas what i am doing wrong?...
I am able to use the debugger you mentioned but wanted to make sure i knew what i was doing with mon too..
will I always just be able to use the debugger option or is there a time i will need MON.PRG

thanks again...much appreciated

jury
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby jury » Tue May 15, 2018 1:16 pm

MarkSandles wrote: now I've tried to load that into mon...again at prompt asking for file name i typed pr1.prg (the file name)...i get file not found...any ideas what i am doing wrong?...

Are you sure you are giving the right path to the pr1.prg?
It works for sure, just loaded up mon.prg and done some test fine.

MarkSandles
Atarian
Atarian

Postby MarkSandles » Tue May 15, 2018 6:55 pm

Got it going...thanks so much for your help..
One last thing on the subject...
Am i correct in saying the only difference between selecting mon and debugger is that debugger debugs program that you are currently working on in editor and with mon you can load in something located elsewhere...that about right?

Social Media

Return to “680x0”