Jaguar pads: coding blind

All 680x0 related coding posts in this section please.

Moderators: exxos, simonsunnyboy, Mug UK, Zorro 2, Moderator Team

Foxie
Atariator
Atariator

Jaguar pads: coding blind

Postby Foxie » Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:54 pm

I would like to add Jaguar pad support to my program, but there's a problem: I don't own a Jaguar pad, and none of the emulators seem to emulate it correctly.

If anyone has a real Jaguar pad and would be willing to test the following program, that would be immensely helpful!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/z7hq8m4awveyr ... D.zip?dl=0

I'm interested whether all the buttons on the pad correspond correctly to the screen - or if they don't, what buttons correspond to which bits.

The program needs a colour monitor at present.

Thanks in advance ^.^

Edit: fixed Falcon support hopefully
Last edited by Foxie on Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anima
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Re: Jaguar pads: coding blind

Postby Anima » Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:43 am

IIRC Hatari was fine testing the JagPad support for Cho Ren Sha 68k (for the Falcon030 that is).

Foxie
Atariator
Atariator

Postby Foxie » Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:07 pm

Unfortunately the Jaguar pad support in Hatari is basically useless. It only allows configuration of up, down, left, right and the A button. The remaining 16 buttons are unmapped! At that point, you may as well just use a regular joystick.

The situation in Steem is even worse. Unlike Hatari, it has the GUI to set up each of the 17 button mappings. Also unlike Hatari, it seems to completely ignore writes to the multiplex register. The net result is complete garbage being read.

Sadly this leaves me with no way of actually testing the code. One thing that has consistently amazed me during my recent development is the sheer inaccuracy of the emulators. After some of the frustrating emulator fighting sessions I've had, I feel like shoving a joystick somewhere the sun doesn't shine.

EstTeeEfEm
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby EstTeeEfEm » Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:21 am

Sadly this leaves me with no way of actually testing the code

I've some source code I could send you if you like?

Its quite nasty but DOES give you variables like joy_up (0/1) to work with... if you wanted a copy, I could tidy it up, comment it a bit and send it to you?

I DO own a JagPad so I know the source is reliably working, one of the reasons I coded my game to support JagPads is because I own one :)

Just quote me here and let me know ... happy coding!

AdamK
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby AdamK » Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:01 am

You could use code from GODLIB (http://rg.atari.org/source.htm) it has JagPad support.
Atari: FireBee, Falcon030 + CT60e + SuperVidel + SvEthlana, TT, 520ST + 4MB ST RAM + 8MB TT RAM + CosmosEx + SC1435, 1040STFM + UltraSatan + SM124, 1040STE 4MB ST RAM + 8MB TT RAM + CosmosEx + NetUSBee + SM144 + SC1224, 65XE + U1MB + VBXE + SIDE2, Jaguar, Lynx II, 2 x Portfolio (HPC-006)

Adam Klobukowski [adamklobukowski@gmail.com]

Social Media

Return to “680x0”