Hard Drive Menu

All 680x0 related coding posts in this section please.

Moderators: simonsunnyboy, Mug UK, Zorro 2, Moderator Team

Champions_2002
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Hard Drive Menu

Postby Champions_2002 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:23 pm

Can anybody help me with an idea i have, i think this will only work in 68000

With all the hard drive runnable games, i was wondering if there could be a menu that runs from the auto folder everytime i start STEEM (for now) and list the games that are on the HD, i know there are boot programs like XBoot and Superboot, but thought i would like a bit more detail on the menu like box abd details of the publisher and other things in the future.

So my request is can somebody help me start this off, i want top be able to read the hard drive from 68000 at first then get to run the game(i am using the p.putnik site games).

Thanks
Champs
A member of Atarimania ST & 7800 department

simonsunnyboy

Re: Hard Drive Menu

Postby simonsunnyboy » Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:44 pm

I have thought about doing such a utility. Probably a rather simple directory walking algorithm would do. It just lists all .TOS and .PRG files found inside a folder, and the user can pick one.

It is certainly possible but according to my knowledge such software has not been written yet.
Simon Sunnyboy/Paradize - http://paradize.atari.org/

Stay cool, stay Atari!

1x2600jr, 1x1040STFm, 1x1040STE 4MB+TOS2.06+SatanDisk, 1xF030 14MB+FPU+NetUS-Bee

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby AtariZoll » Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:20 am

There were similar ideas in past, but as I know nothing is made. Maybe just because it is not hard to navigate in Desktop, and launch some game quickly.
AUTO run may be not good idea, however - then you loose GEM, AES , so need to make a lot of things self if want some better looking user interface. Plus, there are games which can not run from AUTO folder - those using AES calls - like Deja Vu .
Scanning all partitions for executable files may take some time at every boot, what may be decreased if games are in specific directories only. Still, if there is for instance 700 game, it will take at least 1-2 minutes, I guess. Since you want some extra data (game infos and pictures), as best idea seems to not scan after boot, but making some database, which will be updated when adding new titles. Things can be made simpler with tool which will fill database by scanning target directories (but not at every boot), so you will have file locations and names, and can launch games. Adding extra data is optional, and can be done any time.
I don't see that this must be written in 68000 ASM, at least bigger part can be done even with some basic compiler.

Actually, I made something like it in 2008, pretty simple. User must compose list file, containing paths to executables. It was made mostly for games requiring AUTO run, which can not work well when running from Desktop - so no need for some Boot manager and similar. In attachment is source too.
In case of PP hard disk fixes and running under Steem - a lot needs Pasti hard disk emulation in Steem - will not work from some partition 'created' by Steem Disk manager. So, you may need image file with autoboot hard disk driver too.
Program takes not any RAM when starting game - it loads executable to same location where self starts.
AUTORL.ZIP
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Famous Schrodinger's cat hypothetical experiment says that cat is dead or alive until we open box and see condition of poor animal, which deserved better logic. Cat is always in some certain state - regardless from is observer able or not to see what the state is.

simonsunnyboy

Postby simonsunnyboy » Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:42 am

The VDI/AES requirement can be circumvented by not running such a selector from AUTO but with the desktop auto run functionality instead. TOSes lacking this feature shouldn't be used with harddrives anyway.
Simon Sunnyboy/Paradize - http://paradize.atari.org/

Stay cool, stay Atari!

1x2600jr, 1x1040STFm, 1x1040STE 4MB+TOS2.06+SatanDisk, 1xF030 14MB+FPU+NetUS-Bee

Social Media

Return to “680x0”