Sound gets corrupted after saving a memory snapshot?

A forum about SainT by James Boulton and Arnaud Carré - the current version is v2.4.0.

Moderators: Mug UK, Moderator Team

ceenda
Retro freak
Retro freak

Sound gets corrupted after saving a memory snapshot?

Postby ceenda » Mon Apr 04, 2005 2:49 pm

Firstly, thanks for an awesome emulator.

I noticed in some games (Cybercon III, in this instance) that once you save a memory snapshot, the sound is slightly corrupted, like some frequencies are missing (if that makes any sense)?

I've tried re-starting SainT, and the sound works fine when you load up a disk from the beginning, but when loading a memory snapshot, the sound quality is quite bad.

I've tried turning the sound options on and off but no success.

leonard

Postby leonard » Sun Apr 10, 2005 9:53 pm

humm very interesting bug. Do you know if it *always* appends with a specific game or demo ? If yes, it's easyer to debug for me. could you tell me where I can upload that disk and give more detail about how to reproduce the problem ?
Leonard/OXYGENE.

ceenda
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby ceenda » Mon Apr 11, 2005 8:54 am

Leonard: Thanks for the response. I'll try various disks and snapshots to make sure that I can guarantee the same scenario.

Would you like me to send a couple of the snapshot files themselves? So far it's happened with Cybercon III ( Fuzion 68) and Harlequin (D-BUG).

I'll try and repeat the sound corruption problems today and upload a detailed route to the problem.

ceenda
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby ceenda » Mon Apr 11, 2005 12:27 pm

Hi, just to clarify, I did a recording before and after which might be helpful.

http://www.ccir.ed.ac.uk/~nanderso/ST_pre_snapshot.mp3 (ST rebooted with original disk)
http://www.ccir.ed.ac.uk/~nanderso/ST_post_snapshot.mp3 (SainT emulator restarted, loading snapshot at the same point as the previous clip)

This probably won't help much, but here's a zoomed in comparison of the waveforms. There seems to be some added corruption in the one loaded from the snapshot that even appears in the ambient background.

leonard

Postby leonard » Mon Apr 11, 2005 4:30 pm

thanks for your good debug material ! it's always cool to get such level of detail. Humm, I think it's a bug related to white noise generator. I'll check this that night !
Leonard/OXYGENE.

leonard

Postby leonard » Mon Apr 11, 2005 8:13 pm

well I don't see anything wrong in my save/load code so the bug must be somewhere else. Could you give me an URL with your memory snapshop file ? ( in "MemoryShot" directory )

Thanks
Leonard/OXYGENE.

ceenda
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby ceenda » Tue Apr 12, 2005 9:39 am

Hi Leonard, this should be the right one:

http://www.ccir.ed.ac.uk/~nanderso/Sain ... ot_1.SainT

leonard

Postby leonard » Tue Apr 12, 2005 4:17 pm

when I run your memory shot the sound is ok ( the sound is very low, no noisy stuff).

Any idea ?
Leonard/OXYGENE.

ceenda
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby ceenda » Thu Sep 29, 2005 1:22 pm

Hi Leonard,

I just realised, I was using a really old version of SainT (v1.10) from saint.atari.org. :oops:

When I ran the same programs on Saint v1.99 from your homepage, everything was working fine.

Sorry for the confusion.

Social Media

Return to “SainT”