Alliance Menu bugs in Saint 1.99c

A forum about SainT by James Boulton and Arnaud Carré - the current version is v2.4.0.

Moderators: Mug UK, Moderator Team

cpukett
Atari User
Atari User

Alliance Menu bugs in Saint 1.99c

Postby cpukett » Sun Mar 27, 2005 10:14 am

all menus tested and completed bug list

Alliance CD 02 Future Sports: when you kill a few different things the sprites corrupt and after you lose all of your lives blank screen but the music is still playing (same as STeem)

Alliance CD 06 Commando: when you press up and right and fire the man fires but up and left and fire he does not fire

Alliance CD 10 Kick-Off Player Manager: when you click on new game it says insert program disk in drive a (same as STeem)

Alliance CD 11 bombs out so no menu
Kid Gloves: blank screen

Alliance CD 12 Spy vs Spy 3:after it unpacks it crashes (same as STeem)
Bubble +: freezes up on the options screen (same as STeem)

Alliance CD 14 Dan Dare 3: come up with the message insert disk 1 into drive and press space (same as STeem)
Italy 1990: comes up with the message file not found

Alliance CD 16 Count Duckula: bombs out after it unpacks (same as STeem)
Rockstar Ate My Hamster: music thru out game doesnt sound right

Alliance CD 20 Crazy Shot: no matter which one you choose the screen is all messed up and then freezes up
Super Cars: bombs out just as the music starts up (same as STeem)

Alliance CD 28 scrolling message down bottom is not right (on left hand side) (on STeem scroller is not there)

Alliance CD 34 scrolling message down bottom is not right (on left hand side) (on STeem scroller is not there)

Alliance CD 40 Dont know if all the demos are running correctly (the last demo bombs out when you press space)

Chris
Last edited by cpukett on Sun Mar 27, 2005 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grazey / PHF
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Grazey / PHF » Sun Mar 27, 2005 10:18 am

Have you tried all these disks on a real ST first ?

It might be a case of dodgy cracks rather than emulation issues.

In my opinion it's a complete waste of time testing stuff only on emulators. I know as I have some small experience of testing Automation menus. :P

Grz
http://phf.atari.org - demo coders since 1983
http://sndh.atari.org - Maintainer of the Atari ST chip music archive
http://www.scenemusic.net - Nectarine Administrator

cpukett
Atari User
Atari User

Postby cpukett » Sun Mar 27, 2005 12:20 pm

No i dont have a real ST and which cracks are you talking about as most of them that are listed that dont work in SainT work in STeem

Chris

Louie Douwar
Atarian
Atarian

Postby Louie Douwar » Sun Mar 27, 2005 1:27 pm

Grazey / PHF wrote:Have you tried all these disks on a real ST first ?

In my opinion it's a complete waste of time testing stuff only on emulators. I know as I have some small experience of testing Automation menus. :P

Grz

Ohhhh someone else with a bad attitude and being a troll aswell.
I said the same thing about a waste of time but then every idiot appeared out of the woodwork.
Read the post about Superior menus a couple of posts back to see what i mean.
I dont feel alone anymore :lol: :lol:

unseenmenace
Atari God
Atari God

Postby unseenmenace » Sun Mar 27, 2005 2:45 pm

Louie you are totally missing the point of Grazey's post. It is nothing like the thread you are referring too. He was merely pointing out that people should make sure that the menu's work properly before assuming that there is an emulation bug. Since he clearly says the ones he mentions work on one emulator and not on another the chances are it is an emulation issue, but like Grazey says its always best to test on real hardware if possible. I'd also like to point out that Grazey is a thoroughly helpful chap and has never to my knowlege demonstrated a bad attitude on this forum.
UNSEEN MENACE
Several STFM's, 4MB STE, 2MB TT with 1.2GB Hard Drive and 14MB Falcon with 540MB Hard Drive,
Lynx 2 and Jaguar with JagCD
Member of GamebaseST and AtariLegend team
Check out my website at http://unseenmenace.110mb.com

Louie Douwar
Atarian
Atarian

Postby Louie Douwar » Mon Mar 28, 2005 1:56 am

Hang on are we reading the same posts ????.
Grazey said he is wasting his time and so did i.
Why didnt Grazey mention this in the first post (the Superior Menus) and not leave it til now.
So dont try and justify what Grazey said compared to me because both statements boil down to the same thing. (waste of time did he not say)
Or is it that i said AMIGA and you cant handle the fact that the Atari has a rival.
And you have just read a post about his bad attitude.
Did you read his post praising him for his efforts for helping out the Atari community "NO" he said "WASTE OF TIME".(please correct me if i misread his post about saying waste of time).
so go and troll around some other person :x

ggn
Atari God
Atari God

Postby ggn » Mon Mar 28, 2005 6:00 am

Louie Douwar wrote:

Grz

Ohhhh someone else with a bad attitude and being a troll aswell.
I said the same thing about a waste of time but then every idiot appeared out of the woodwork.
Read the post about Superior menus a couple of posts back to see what i mean.
I dont feel alone anymore :lol: :lol:

Grazey?

A troll?

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!

That was funny. Thanks for cheering me up :)

George
is 73 Falcon patched atari games enough ? ^^

Speed Freak
Atarian
Atarian

Postby Speed Freak » Mon Mar 28, 2005 6:25 am

Grz

Which REAL ST do you mean ??? an ST ,STFM, STe, MegaST.
It doesn't matter if you test them on a REAL ST say for example he tested them on a STe (look at the list in the STEem forum of the incompatable disks that dont run on it and i know of heaps more not on the list)
And it is not always dodgy cracks,I have come across quite a few bad images.
If Speed doesn't kill you
Speed Freak will :)

Cyrano Jones
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Cyrano Jones » Mon Mar 28, 2005 9:58 am

I believe Grazey stands around under bridges all day demanding money from people who wish to pass overhead....

Grazey / PHF
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: Alliance Menu bugs in Saint 1.99c

Postby Grazey / PHF » Mon Mar 28, 2005 3:47 pm

I wasn't meaning to sound negative or being disheartening to 'cpukett' I simply know from experience that the vast majority of problems with games not working are down to corrupt images or bad cracks, so it's a complete waste of time sending bug reports to Emulator coders when the fault isn't the emulation!

I'm all for sending lists of bugs which are emulator related but people should try and narrow down the problem first. Of the first 100 Automation menus not one game fails to run on a combination of Steem or Saint.

Anyway I just thought I'd do my own tests on some of the Alliance menus.... not to gloat ... simply to illustrate my point. I simply picked the first 3 menus cpukett tested.

cpukett wrote:all menus tested and completed bug list

Alliance CD 02 Future Sports: when you kill a few different things the sprites corrupt and after you lose all of your lives blank screen but the music is still playing (same as STeem) Tested on real STFM and MegaSTE, on both occasions corrupt gfx occur, the game also freezes after Game Over, therefore bad crack or corrupt image.

Alliance CD 06 Commando: when you press up and right and fire the man fires but up and left and fire he does not fire Tested with Saint 1.99, Up/Right/Fire and Up/Left/Fire both work ok.

Alliance CD 10 Kick-Off Player Manager: when you click on new game it says insert program disk in drive a (same as STeem) Tested on Real STFM and Mega STE, on both occasions Player Manager asks for the Program Disk, therefore bad crack or corrupt image.

So as you can see none of these disks faults are emulator related.

Cpukett, I think the best bet is for you to seek volunteers to test the menus on a real ST first... then move on to emulator testing.

Grazey

cpukett
Atari User
Atari User

Postby cpukett » Tue Mar 29, 2005 8:55 am

How can Alliance CD 06 Commando not be an emulator fault ???
If it workd on 1.99 but not on 1.99C
I have come across a couple of games like that with that fault
and i would say 90% that doesnt work on SainT works on STEem
and if it fails on both well then it might be a bad image then people know and maybe someone can do another image so all this testing is not just for emulators
And not to be negative but do you really think people want to volunteer
Just ask the TOSEC team
Chris

Speed Freak
Atarian
Atarian

Postby Speed Freak » Tue Mar 29, 2005 11:27 am

Ok Grazey (or anyone else for a matter of fact) then how would YOU decide if it is a bad crack or bad image.
Being realistic here out of all the lists he has done do you think a group would release so many dodgy cracks (i dont think so).
So i dont think he is wasting his time testing.
At least he is willing to give up his time to help out the Atari community which i am not seeing many other people doing right now
We need more people like him.
As he says most work with STEem so he is really trying to help out Leonard by making SainT better.
I think to only people who should say it is a waste of time is cpukett and Leonard so let those two decide.
If Leonard doesnt want his help he should just say so.
And to all the other people who think it is a waste of time dont be so negative .

ggn
Atari God
Atari God

Postby ggn » Tue Mar 29, 2005 2:14 pm

Speed Freak wrote:Being realistic here out of all the lists he has done do you think a group would release so many dodgy cracks (i dont think so).

How about bad dumps?

George

Grazey / PHF
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Grazey / PHF » Tue Mar 29, 2005 4:42 pm

I remember at the time (when I used to get cracks directly from R.AL of the Replicants) that many Rep cracks were dodgy... Future Sport for one had corrupt GFX in Snake's beta crack

However, I agree with GGN, the vast majority of problems are due to bad disk images.

What's the point of saying.... hey Leonard... fix Saint so Future Sports has uncorrupted GFX when this has nothing to do with Emulation.

As for testing stuff on a real ST , I know it's a problem getting volunteers.. I'm currently manually going through 700 disks... so I have some small experience in such matters. But you can get a second hand ST for £20.

But as I said your lists are really useful if they relate to emulation issues, I have no problem with that.

Grz

Speed Freak
Atarian
Atarian

Postby Speed Freak » Wed Mar 30, 2005 8:46 am

[quote="Grazey / PHF"]

What's the point of saying.... hey Leonard... fix Saint so Future Sports has uncorrupted GFX when this has nothing to do with Emulation.

He's not saying that at all if you read all his posts
As he said if it doesnt work on STEem or Saint then it is most probably a bad image and he is just pointing it out so someone might do a good disk image of it

And not everyone lives in Europe so you try and buy an Atari in Australia or U.S.A and see how easy it is (not)

ggn
Atari God
Atari God

Postby ggn » Wed Mar 30, 2005 9:00 am

Speed Freak wrote:As he said if it doesnt work on STEem or Saint then it is most probably a bad image and he is just pointing it out so someone might do a good disk image of it

Why post this in the SainT forum then??? Wouldn't the games forum be more appropriate? It could save a lot of confusion and bad temper you know ;)

Speed Freak
Atarian
Atarian

Postby Speed Freak » Wed Mar 30, 2005 12:13 pm

Why report it in the games forum when he is mainly testing on Saint (STEem now and then when it doesnt work on SainT).
and if it is a bad crack who is going to fix other groups menus these days (nobody probably).
and people dont want to read the same problem in all differant sections of the forum.
And if the Mods thought it was in the wrong section they would have moved it.
Look guys this is leading nowhere fast.
Just let the guy test and one day someone with half a brain (and a real st) will see the lists and say "Gee that game doesnt work on Saint or Steem and test it on a real ST" and then say "Ohh that game is a bad crack or I have the actual menu somewhere and will image it to see if it is a bad image". :wink:

Social Media

Return to “SainT”